U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2010, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,370,795 times
Reputation: 3735

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
WTH. Excuse my language but that doesn't make any sense. How can they *predict* an earthquake?

Oh come on allen! We predict all sorts of things based on accumulated statistical knowledge. Crime, the stock market, heart attacks based on lifestyle, etc etc. We need to try, at least, to predict earthquakes, based on the past frequency and severity and location of measured one. How else might we hope to save the lives of people in ,say, southern California?You suggesting we should not even try, using modern math, geology and science?

I was under the impression that when earthquakes or tremors occur, they are registered immediately afterward? How can they just predict an earthquake that never happened, and then register it as so even thought it did not occur yet?

Wow. You would really benefit from a basic intro science course, my man!

Thanks for this Insane! You really opened my eyes. Now if they have this time clock that predicts tremors and earthquakes and registers them into the system before they even happen, what's stopping them from falsifying info like the actual number of earthquakes in recent years?

Oh of course. I should'a seen this one coming! "Science lies again". Like always, huh? It's all a vast global conspiracy, versus the quiet truth of all Christians. Yep.

Because it doesn't make any sense. USGS has there chart where they list all the significant earthquakes. They are all relatively equal in number for the past few years. But Wikipedia has a condensed list and gives the significant number of earthquakes 4.0+ and it gets bigger every year. And Wikipedia isn't the only one.

I've been thinking for quite a while now that USGS has the power to do something of that caliber. To falsify the actual number of earthquakes to refrain from having a mass hysteria.

Yep. Wick is a vastly more reliable source than The USGS. BTW, I once authored an article for Wiki. So now what do you think of their acceptance standards, huh?

They've been happening. The only people who actually sit and say "Everything is okay" are the ones that haven't experience a thing.
The thing is: at what frequency and intensity? and why is it that the ETrs are so strong that this is it"? Why? Because they desperately want the End Times to happen in their lifetime? Oddly, the USGS have been reliably and truthfully reporting increasingly accurate stats on earthquakes and volcanoes for, literally, decades. Why should they suddenly desert honesty now, just when you want them to "predict" the worst? Perhaps it's because they have proven that recent frequencies are decreasing? Why, because that doesn't serve the greater fundy Christian dogmo-purpose, does it? Better to call the USGS liars! Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Maybe if people understood what earthquakes were - they would have a different opinion of them. They are caused by shifting in the earths plates. You can read about earthquakes on wikipedia. There is an iron clad scientific explanation for them. I used to live in Los Angeles and we had them all the time. There is a reason they happen in Los Angeles - because of the fault lines in the Earth's crust. There is a reason why they don't usually happen in other areas- no fault lines. So as much as they can't predict exactly where an earthquake is going to hit - they do know the areas that are more susceptible. I hope that eases people's mind a little bit.

Yeah, you'd think so, huh, DewDrop. But again, remember: you're on a thread or sub-forum which really wants the ETs to occur. Don't ever forget that little truth-modifying fact. Conspiracies, hidden statistics, purposeful mis-interpretations by the USGS and the Geological Survey of Canada, and all the other reputable geo-technical organizations in the world, versus The Creation Institute etc.

Compelling evidence indeed!


Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Absolutely. The purpose of the Christian life is not to look to the outward, natural world for guidance, but to abide in Him and keep our eyes focused on what He's doing within to conform into His image.

If I'm not mistaken, the bible is a spiritual book about a spiritual God with a spiritual kingdom, with a spiritual message that only the spirit of God can understand.

imo.

Agreed, little elmer, but apparently not by everyone. As well, as far as I can understand it, the bible does NOT ever state that the ETs will be preceded by a period of increasing earthquakes or volcanoes, each one cleaned up and dealt with before the next. In fact, it seems to state that these problems will only occur DURING the predicted ET tribulations.

So in effect no-one will know ahead of time, which does not fit with the general strategy of convincing people to convert purely out of abject fear.

Not even Betsey will know! ................Oh................. No.

Am I wrong? If I'm not, why do more rational Christians put up with the doom-sayers and ghoulish wishfuls all gleefully hoping for a murderous global catastrophe?


And your point, Betsy? You think this is in any way out of line with historic global volcanic frequencies? And even if so, then what? is it just transient, as many geological events are?

Or what, pray tell?

We'd all better git down to the church, ASAP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2010, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,582,303 times
Reputation: 939
"We'd all better git down to the church, ASAP?"




NO, not necessarily down to the 'church', but your KNEES!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 07:31 PM
 
16,300 posts, read 24,956,366 times
Reputation: 8282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post

NO, not necessarily down to the 'church', but your KNEES!


I would hope that the "end of times" would at least be a good light show, and I'll go get my favorite stout ale and go out on the deck and watch the show. If I'm on my knees, it's cause I'm looking for the bottle opener I dropped
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2010, 06:26 PM
 
1,492 posts, read 2,297,211 times
Reputation: 251
well,I don't exactly think it's gonna be a Styx concert! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2010, 12:41 AM
 
3,448 posts, read 2,678,304 times
Reputation: 478
Do you know why older people gravitate towards all this end of times buisness?
No , why Stargazzer ?

Because it "is" the end of times, but only in the seniority of a winding down life.

Now that that has been disclosed, maybe someone can offer the reason , why the sun has
MILLIONS of years in order to burn off all of its gas ?

Answer : Because the end of times has more than likely millions of years to go.

Sorry to dismantle any hopes for boredom out of the end of creation. Its self orientated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2010, 05:18 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,719,459 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
Now that that has been disclosed, maybe someone can offer the reason , why the sun has MILLIONS of years in order to burn off all of its gas ?
Best estimates are 5,000,000,000 years until the sun runs out of hydrogen. Of course - that's only a guess....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2010, 05:33 AM
 
1,055 posts, read 2,121,578 times
Reputation: 1221
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
WTH. Excuse my language but that doesn't make any sense. How can they *predict* an earthquake? I was under the impression that when earthquakes or tremors occur, they are registered immediately afterward? How can they just predict an earthquake that never happened, and then register it as so even thought it did not occur yet? Thanks for this Insane! You really opened my eyes. Now if they have this time clock that predicts tremors and earthquakes and registers them into the system before they even happen, what's stopping them from falsifying info like the actual number of earthquakes in recent years? Because it doesn't make any sense. USGS has there chart where they list all the significant earthquakes. They are all relatively equal in number for the past few years. But Wikipedia has a condensed list and gives the significant number of earthquakes 4.0+ and it gets bigger every year. And Wikipedia isn't the only one. There is this data chart I believe you have seen going around since last year listing all the earthquakes in the past few years and 2008 or 09 was sky high in number. It just doesn't make sense that there are two opposing sources. They should have the same information.

I've been thinking for quite a while now that USGS has the power to do something of that caliber. To falsify the actual number of earthquakes to refrain from having a mass hysteria. Because this is widely known people panic quickly and fanatically in the face of a coming disaster. Imagine, hypothetically (because Idk if it's true), if everyone learned that earthquakes were in fact increasing, by a large percentage, this would create a havoc among people of the world. You know, I'm not a paranoid person by any means, but I've been thinking about this for quite awhile. So many times in history, a national government would try to down play the actual level of emergence in the face of a coming disaster. Kind of like the Gulf Oil Spill. Or the recent floods of Nashville and Arkansas. They would downplay these events to refrain from causing panic among the masses and in turn, it just made everything THAT much more worse. But you know what? It doesn't matter anyway. What's done in the dark, comes to the light. When the big earthquakes start hitting places you would never think they would, you'll see. There is nothing we need to prove. They've been happening. The only people who actually sit and say "Everything is okay" are the ones that haven't experience a thing.


As another poster posted, we can use math and observation to predict when they will occur. Many Earthquakes are like Old Faithful, they always occur in a certain time frame. Of course, many everyday earthquakes are small rumbles (It takes time, often centuries, to create enough stress to create a big one) and aren't even felt. Other places have earthquakes almost everyday. I read a travelers blog about an expat in Japan (lived and worked in the capitol). He says that they are very common, so common that the Japanese are taught what to do in earthquakes as much as American kids are taught tornado safety (by sitting in a hallway at school, etc). He himself had experienced several.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2010, 05:43 AM
 
1,055 posts, read 2,121,578 times
Reputation: 1221
Apparently, you are not well versed in geology.

Having volcanoes erupt is actually very good. It indicates that the core of the planet is 'alive' and active. If the core was dead and we had no volcanoes, well, look at Mars.

Again, volcanoes erupt frequently and in cycles well. That is how everyone anticipated Mt. St. Helen erupting a few years back. Mount Kīlauea is currently active in Hawaii and has been for a while now.

Even though volcanoes do have the capacity to be destructive, they shouldn't be feared. God made volcanoes, so they must be (and are) good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2011, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Point Hope Alaska
4,320 posts, read 3,680,000 times
Reputation: 1146
Maybe this will put it all in perspective for those who doubt.
This is perhaps the most interesting bit of news I have read in a long long time.
  • From 1 A.D. to 1800 there were approximately 28 major earthquakes recorded in history. This results in an average of one major earthquake approximately every 60 years.
  • From 1801-1900 there were approximately 31 earthquakes 7.0 or higher. This results in one major earthquake approximately every 3.2 years.
  • From 1901 to 2000 there were 222 major earthquakes 7.0 or higher. This results in an average of one major earthquake every 6 months.
  • From 2000 to 2003 there were approximately 59 earthquakes of 7.0 or higher. This results in approximately one major earthquake every 24 days.
This brings us to recent times. One of the most notable major earthquake was in Bam, Iran, on Dec. 26, 2003. Exactly one year later, Dec. 26, 2004, Sumatra, Indonesia, experienced another massive earthquake and a subsequent devastating tsunami. Between these two earthquakes, more than 330,000 lives were lost.
  • From 2004 to 2007, there were 56 major earthquakes 7.0 or higher. This results in an average of one major earthquake every 25 days.
  • In 2008, there were 12 major earthquakes 7.0 or higher. This results in an average of one major earthquake every 30 days.
  • In 2009, there were 17 major earthquakes 7.0 or higher. This results in an average of one major earthquake every 20 days.
  • In 2010, there were 22 major earthquakes 7.0 or higher. This results in an average of one major earthquake every 15 days.
I have no question that the scoffers will scoff at this information, but the numbers don't lie. In fact, based on the undeniable patterns, on March 4, six days before the earthquake in Japan, Pastor Cecil sent me the following e-mail:
Prediction: The longest amount of time last year that the earth went without a major (7.0 or greater) earthquake was 57 days. We haven't had a major earthquake since January 18th of this year. As of today, we stand at 45 days without a major quake. I am predicting a major (7.0 or greater) earthquake BEFORE Wednesday, March 17th. my prediction is that there will be a major earthquake sometime within the next week!
Read more:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2011, 10:11 AM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 6,906,848 times
Reputation: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Maybe this will put it all in perspective for those who doubt.
This is perhaps the most interesting bit of news I have read in a long long time.
  • From 1 A.D. to 1800 there were approximately 28 major earthquakes recorded in history. This results in an average of one major earthquake approximately every 60 years.
  • From 1801-1900 there were approximately 31 earthquakes 7.0 or higher. This results in one major earthquake approximately every 3.2 years.
  • From 1901 to 2000 there were 222 major earthquakes 7.0 or higher. This results in an average of one major earthquake every 6 months.
  • From 2000 to 2003 there were approximately 59 earthquakes of 7.0 or higher. This results in approximately one major earthquake every 24 days.
This brings us to recent times. One of the most notable major earthquake was in Bam, Iran, on Dec. 26, 2003. Exactly one year later, Dec. 26, 2004, Sumatra, Indonesia, experienced another massive earthquake and a subsequent devastating tsunami. Between these two earthquakes, more than 330,000 lives were lost.
  • From 2004 to 2007, there were 56 major earthquakes 7.0 or higher. This results in an average of one major earthquake every 25 days.
  • In 2008, there were 12 major earthquakes 7.0 or higher. This results in an average of one major earthquake every 30 days.
  • In 2009, there were 17 major earthquakes 7.0 or higher. This results in an average of one major earthquake every 20 days.
  • In 2010, there were 22 major earthquakes 7.0 or higher. This results in an average of one major earthquake every 15 days.
I have no question that the scoffers will scoff at this information, but the numbers don't lie. In fact, based on the undeniable patterns, on March 4, six days before the earthquake in Japan, Pastor Cecil sent me the following e-mail:
Prediction: The longest amount of time last year that the earth went without a major (7.0 or greater) earthquake was 57 days. We haven't had a major earthquake since January 18th of this year. As of today, we stand at 45 days without a major quake. I am predicting a major (7.0 or greater) earthquake BEFORE Wednesday, March 17th. … my prediction is that there will be a major earthquake sometime within the next week!
Read more:
Um...did the ancient inhabitants of today's Chile, Mexico, the South Pacific, Indonesia and Japan report THEIR earthquakes back in 1 A.D. The point is, you're overlooking modern technology that can detect even the slightest earthquake AND report earthquakes in distant parts of the world we would have known nothing about WITHOUT technology (TV, internet, satellite) compared to ancient times when word of any such disasters in far flung places traveled by a ship or two that straggled in from the affected areas.

You are provine what some of us have been saying all along. If you took our modern technology today and kick it back 2,000 years ago, you would find a NORMAl pattern. Folks in ancient Rome would not known about a 10.0 earthquake off Easter Island 2,300 years ago so since much of our knowledge of ancient history comes from areas such as Rome, Greece and Egypt, they would not be privy to this information, would they? Didn't mean the earthquake did not happen, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top