U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-15-2011, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Katonah, NY
21,188 posts, read 21,060,510 times
Reputation: 22139

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Um...did the ancient inhabitants of today's Chile, Mexico, the South Pacific, Indonesia and Japan report THEIR earthquakes back in 1 A.D. The point is, you're overlooking modern technology that can detect even the slightest earthquake AND report earthquakes in distant parts of the world we would have known nothing about WITHOUT technology (TV, internet, satellite) compared to ancient times when word of any such disasters in far flung places traveled by a ship or two that straggled in from the affected areas.

You are provine what some of us have been saying all along. If you took our modern technology today and kick it back 2,000 years ago, you would find a NORMAl pattern. Folks in ancient Rome would not known about a 10.0 earthquake off Easter Island 2,300 years ago so since much of our knowledge of ancient history comes from areas such as Rome, Greece and Egypt, they would not be privy to this information, would they? Didn't mean the earthquake did not happen, right?
Exactly. The first method for recording earthquakes was developed in the late 1800's. They updated it and modernized it in the early 1930's. It's been modernized and refined to the point that we can see even the smallest tremors now. Before 1890 or so - they didn't have a way to measure the earthquakes - so... OF COURSE THERE IS NO DATA!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2011, 10:46 AM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,848,052 times
Reputation: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Um...did the ancient inhabitants of today's Chile, Mexico, the South Pacific, Indonesia and Japan report THEIR earthquakes back in 1 A.D. The point is, you're overlooking modern technology that can detect even the slightest earthquake AND report earthquakes in distant parts of the world we would have known nothing about WITHOUT technology (TV, internet, satellite) compared to ancient times when word of any such disasters in far flung places traveled by a ship or two that straggled in from the affected areas.

You are provine what some of us have been saying all along. If you took our modern technology today and kick it back 2,000 years ago, you would find a NORMAl pattern. Folks in ancient Rome would not known about a 10.0 earthquake off Easter Island 2,300 years ago so since much of our knowledge of ancient history comes from areas such as Rome, Greece and Egypt, they would not be privy to this information, would they? Didn't mean the earthquake did not happen, right?

This is a good point for context, what is the modern known data for earthquakes in the region that the writers of the biblical texts would have experienced without scientific data.

When I get told I am out of context, this end times stuff doesn't even begin to spell the word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2011, 11:17 AM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 6,920,109 times
Reputation: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Exactly. The first method for recording earthquakes was developed in the late 1800's. They updated it and modernized it in the early 1930's. It's been modernized and refined to the point that we can see even the smallest tremors now. Before 1890 or so - they didn't have a way to measure the earthquakes - so... OF COURSE THERE IS NO DATA!!!
I am at work and wrote that up real fast without proofreading so sorry about the typos. I was not even sure I even made sense. lol

Yeah, the data "SityData" provided is EXPECTED. It goes right along with common sense, but it appears the person thought that by providing it, it proved the notion that earthquakes have increased over the years. Mankind knowing MORE about them and knowing of MORE of them, yes, but this does not mean they have not been occurring at their normal (give and take with nature's ebbs and flows) rates all along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2011, 11:18 AM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 6,920,109 times
Reputation: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
This is a good point for context, what is the modern known data for earthquakes in the region that the writers of the biblical texts would have experienced without scientific data.

When I get told I am out of context, this end times stuff doesn't even begin to spell the word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2011, 12:25 PM
 
4,487 posts, read 4,377,783 times
Reputation: 4001
Earthquakes have nothing to do with religion. A deity had no hand in the most recent earthquake.
To imply otherwise us ridiculous. If you truly believe that your god had some hand in this tragedy then the god you follow is evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2011, 02:35 PM
 
16,300 posts, read 25,005,405 times
Reputation: 8283
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Maybe this will put it all in perspective for those who doubt.
This is perhaps the most interesting bit of news I have read in a long long time.
  • From 1 A.D. to 1800 there were approximately 28 major earthquakes recorded in history. This results in an average of one major earthquake approximately every 60 years.
  • From 1801-1900 there were approximately 31 earthquakes 7.0 or higher. This results in one major earthquake approximately every 3.2 years.
  • From 1901 to 2000 there were 222 major earthquakes 7.0 or higher. This results in an average of one major earthquake every 6 months.
  • From 2000 to 2003 there were approximately 59 earthquakes of 7.0 or higher. This results in approximately one major earthquake every 24 days.
Do you even suspect that lack of detectors, or even anyone with a written language living there might be a contributing factor to the number of earthquakes reported. Who would have recorded and reported all the earthquakes in California from 1 AD to probably the 1700's?

I am simply amazed at the lack of any logic people in their vain attempts to prove the existence of a myth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2011, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Point Hope Alaska
4,320 posts, read 3,690,010 times
Reputation: 1146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Do you even suspect that lack of detectors, or even anyone with a written language living there might be a contributing factor to the number of earthquakes reported. Who would have recorded and reported all the earthquakes in California from 1 AD to probably the 1700's?

I am simply amazed at the lack of any logic people in their vain attempts to prove the existence of a myth.
ROFLMAO - (CHUCKLE) SO... what your saying; is that NOTHING; created everything !!!

This universe is too precise to accept that notion.

That is so far beyond bizarre it is pathetic!! There is too much PROOF !!

Go read the life story of Charles Darwin - you will find out - He did not believe in that threory. He said so !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2011, 04:55 PM
 
4,487 posts, read 4,377,783 times
Reputation: 4001
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Maybe this will put it all in perspective for those who doubt.
This is perhaps the most interesting bit of news I have read in a long long time.
  • From 1 A.D. to 1800 there were approximately 28 major earthquakes recorded in history. This results in an average of one major earthquake approximately every 60 years.
  • From 1801-1900 there were approximately 31 earthquakes 7.0 or higher. This results in one major earthquake approximately every 3.2 years.
  • From 1901 to 2000 there were 222 major earthquakes 7.0 or higher. This results in an average of one major earthquake every 6 months.
  • From 2000 to 2003 there were approximately 59 earthquakes of 7.0 or higher. This results in approximately one major earthquake every 24 days.
This brings us to recent times. One of the most notable major earthquake was in Bam, Iran, on Dec. 26, 2003. Exactly one year later, Dec. 26, 2004, Sumatra, Indonesia, experienced another massive earthquake and a subsequent devastating tsunami. Between these two earthquakes, more than 330,000 lives were lost.
  • From 2004 to 2007, there were 56 major earthquakes 7.0 or higher. This results in an average of one major earthquake every 25 days.
  • In 2008, there were 12 major earthquakes 7.0 or higher. This results in an average of one major earthquake every 30 days.
  • In 2009, there were 17 major earthquakes 7.0 or higher. This results in an average of one major earthquake every 20 days.
  • In 2010, there were 22 major earthquakes 7.0 or higher. This results in an average of one major earthquake every 15 days.
I have no question that the scoffers will scoff at this information, but the numbers don't lie. In fact, based on the undeniable patterns, on March 4, six days before the earthquake in Japan, Pastor Cecil sent me the following e-mail:
Prediction: The longest amount of time last year that the earth went without a major (7.0 or greater) earthquake was 57 days. We haven't had a major earthquake since January 18th of this year. As of today, we stand at 45 days without a major quake. I am predicting a major (7.0 or greater) earthquake BEFORE Wednesday, March 17th. my prediction is that there will be a major earthquake sometime within the next week!
Read more:

Without going into your numbers, what are you trying to say with those "facts". Please elaborate further. You do realize that our (humans) time here on earth is insignificant geologically. Even if those number are 100% accurate they would mean nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2011, 05:25 PM
 
4,487 posts, read 4,377,783 times
Reputation: 4001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Earthquakes have nothing to do with religion. A deity had no hand in the most recent earthquake.
To imply otherwise us ridiculous. If you truly believe that your god had some hand in this tragedy then the god you follow is evil.

This is why I hate religion!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcikNCsilHk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2011, 06:17 PM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 10,028,406 times
Reputation: 58210
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
This is why I hate religion!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcikNCsilHk
Well Mike don't hate the religious, just the religious insanity. That girl has been taught to think that way and it's not in any way resembling Christianity. I'm a Christian but I'm not the "norm" per se because I don't go to church and I don't buy into organized religion.

I don't believe for one second that my God had anything to do with the disaster in Japan and I don't in any way think that it signals some sort of "end times" that is looming. Could God have prevented it? Of course He could have, that's a given. Is it part of His plan to allow things like this to happen? Why, yes it is!! There is a specific plan laid out in the Bible and God is not a liar nor is He one to change His mind......it will happen just like it is supposed to.

I am a futurist and I do believe in a Rapture and a 7 year tribulation but I don't believe we are anywhere near that sort of thing. We're all going to die and be buried for a long time before any of that happens.

With that said, I still think it's a great idea to get to know Jesus Christ NOW, because life is better with Him in it. It's not just better, it's the ONLY way to live. Trust me on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top