Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:20 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times

Advertisements

The sky is falling....Again.... As a result of the earthquake Japan is up to 13 feet closer to the US, our day has been shortened and the earth's axis has changed.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/14/wo...14seismic.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 07:12 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
ROFLMAO - (CHUCKLE) SO... what your saying; is that NOTHING; created everything !!!
Nah, just you!

Old 03-15-2011, 07:44 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Well Mike don't hate the religious, just the religious insanity. That girl has been taught to think that way and it's not in any way resembling Christianity. I'm a Christian but I'm not the "norm" per se because I don't go to church and I don't buy into organized religion.

I don't believe for one second that my God had anything to do with the disaster in Japan and I don't in any way think that it signals some sort of "end times" that is looming. Could God have prevented it? Of course He could have, that's a given. Is it part of His plan to allow things like this to happen? Why, yes it is!! There is a specific plan laid out in the Bible and God is not a liar nor is He one to change His mind......it will happen just like it is supposed to.

I am a futurist and I do believe in a Rapture and a 7 year tribulation but I don't believe we are anywhere near that sort of thing. We're all going to die and be buried for a long time before any of that happens.

With that said, I still think it's a great idea to get to know Jesus Christ NOW, because life is better with Him in it. It's not just better, it's the ONLY way to live. Trust me on that.

Your reply is thoughtful and kind but the type of thinking displayed by the woman in the video is not my only reason for my disdain for religion. It's the stance it takes towards homosexuals for one. It's the views that many religions have towards women for another. It's the views that anything else outside said religion is wrong and believers in anything else are wrong and will spent eternity in torment. While you seem kind and respectful it's the above statement in red I find objectionable and arrogant.

If any good and just god exists, living a good life, taking care of the ones you love, helping other less fortunate than yourself and not taking from others things that are not yours to take should be enough for any god. Not blind belief.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:42 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
Is "SityData" digesting the facts? I hope so.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:17 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
ROFLMAO - (CHUCKLE) SO... what your saying; is that NOTHING; created everything !!!

This universe is too precise to accept that notion.

That is so far beyond bizarre it is pathetic!! There is too much PROOF !!

Go read the life story of Charles Darwin - you will find out - He did not believe in that threory. He said so !!
OY VEY........You mean this theory....now try reading it and get back to us later>>>>>

Was Darwin Wrong? @ National Geographic Magazine

Old 03-17-2011, 05:03 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Your reply is thoughtful and kind but the type of thinking displayed by the woman in the video is not my only reason for my disdain for religion. It's the stance it takes towards homosexuals for one. It's the views that many religions have towards women for another. It's the views that anything else outside said religion is wrong and believers in anything else are wrong and will spent eternity in torment. While you seem kind and respectful it's the above statement in red I find objectionable and arrogant.

If any good and just god exists, living a good life, taking care of the ones you love, helping other less fortunate than yourself and not taking from others things that are not yours to take should be enough for any god. Not blind belief.
Sorry, didn't mean to offend in any way it's just how I feel, being on both sides of the fence so to speak. I should say it's the only way for ME to live. And because of the fact that I know what it's like to live in disbelief and in belief, I know which is better for me and know beyond a shadow of a doubt it would be better for someone else because God is no respecter of persons. He loves us all. And you can feel the love of Jesus Christ when He comes into your heart, mind, soul and spirit to live.

With that said, I am a UR so I don't believe 95% of humanity is going to fry forever, that's just ludicrous. God has a greater plan than what your everyday fundamentalist ETer would have you believe but I don't blame them, it's how they've been taught....or I should say brainwashed to believe. There's so much more to it once you become saved and Christians are always arguing the semantics of it all but in my mind and heart, I know it's all about LOVE. That's what Jesus was/is about, and he is God. God brought us a true representation of Himself in the flesh through Jesus Christ and that's how I strive to live. I have a whole bunch of faults but we all do and that's why I NEED Jesus.

But if you think about it, LOVE is the answer to all of it. Everything. With love there is no strife, war, violence, murder, etc. With love in one's heart it's just not possible. Call me a hippie (and I've been accused of that but that's ok with me) but Love really is the answer to it all. And Jesus=love. Now I have to go put on my flip-flops and check the mail.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:16 PM

599 posts, read 1,260,840 times
Data obtained from USGS.

1980 to 2000: 255 earthquakes 7.0 or higher (USGS /NEIC)
(One every 28 days)

2000 to 2008: 127 earthquakes 7.0 or higher (USGS / NEIC)
(One every 26 days)

2009: 17 earthquakes 7.0 or higher (USGS / NEIC)
(One every 21 days)

2010: 20 earthquakes 7.0 or higher (USGS / NEIC)
(One every 18 days)

2011: 6 earthquakes 7.0 or higher in 3 months (USGS / NEIC)
(One every 15 days)

Old 03-18-2011, 10:15 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times
Well I personally don't know why people would deny that the world is tossing around in wild ways that most of us had never even imagined. It seems almost comical to me to hear the end time scoffers trying to pretend that we are not gaining momentum toward a major climax of earth-shattering events. I mean, sheesh - God is shaking the earth, man and it is now apparently not properly balanced on its axis. But don't worry, Jesus is in the boat with us. The ride through the latter half of the tribulation will not be a joy ride. The scriptures never promised that it would be fun to pass through the end days. In fact, without God-given faith, people are going to faint from fear. But don't let that stop you from trusting in God's goodness! Better people than we have been sawn into and fed to lions and not lost their faith. We are not going to escape unscathed by the shaking God is doing.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:29 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,690,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Well I personally don't know why people would deny that the world is tossing around in wild ways that most of us had never even imagined. It seems almost comical to me to hear the end time scoffers trying to pretend that we are not gaining momentum toward a major climax of earth-shattering events. I mean, sheesh - God is shaking the earth, man and it is now apparently not properly balanced on its axis. But don't worry, Jesus is in the boat with us. The ride through the latter half of the tribulation will not be a joy ride. The scriptures never promised that it would be fun to pass through the end days. In fact, without God-given faith, people are going to faint from fear. But don't let that stop you from trusting in God's goodness! Better people than we have been sawn into and fed to lions and not lost their faith. We are not going to escape unscathed by the shaking God is doing.
well-said!
I guess denial changes everything for some.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:53 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Well I personally don't know why people would deny that the world is tossing around in wild ways that most of us had never even imagined.
These shifts and much greater have been around for eons. Do some study on our geological history, it's much much MUCH wilder than the (comparatively) tiny event in Japan.

Ironically, this entire end time frenzy is whipped up by a combination of scientific breakthroughs (instant communications/global monitoring etc) and ignorance (a belief that these events were formerly very rare and are now very common).

It's good to be able to back off and be objective in our world view. Look big picture, long term and realize that we live on a geologically active planet. Being superstitious about these natural events does not help humanity move forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
well-said!
I guess denial changes everything for some.
I don't deny real events but I do deny that they are anything but the normal course of the planet's geological activity. To imagine they are something else is just that - imagination. Indoctrination. Rhetoric. Whatever you want to call it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity