U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 01:29 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,772,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
These shifts and much greater have been around for eons. Do some study on our geological history, it's much much MUCH wilder than the (comparatively) tiny event in Japan.

Ironically, this entire end time frenzy is whipped up by a combination of scientific breakthroughs (instant communications/global monitoring etc) and ignorance (a belief that these events were formerly very rare and are now very common).

It's good to be able to back off and be objective in our world view. Look big picture, long term and realize that we live on a geologically active planet. Being superstitious about these natural events does not help humanity move forward.

I don't deny real events but I do deny that they are anything but the normal course of the planet's geological activity. To imagine they are something else is just that - imagination. Indoctrination. Rhetoric. Whatever you want to call it.
I believe in a personal God. I believe the true God can and does intervene in the affairs of humans and nature. You apparently do not. It doesn't matter to me whether or not you do. I believe in science but also that there is something more -- in other words, science says our sun must burn out eventually (which means the earth will be done away), but the Spirit says God will make a new heaven and a new earth. I believe in the supernatural and that we cannot see everything with our earthly eyes. So what was your point, Byron?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 03:26 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,729,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I believe in a personal God. I believe the true God can and does intervene in the affairs of humans and nature. You apparently do not. It doesn't matter to me whether or not you do. I believe in science but also that there is something more -- in other words, science says our sun must burn out eventually (which means the earth will be done away), but the Spirit says God will make a new heaven and a new earth. I believe in the supernatural and that we cannot see everything with our earthly eyes. So what was your point, Byron?
Heavens and earth, scripturally speaking, are not referring to the literal sky and this rock.

Is. 1: 2 - "Hear, O heavens! Listen, O earth! For the LORD has spoken: "I reared children and brought them up, but they have rebelled against me."

Now down to verse 10: "Hear the word of the LORD, you rulers of Sodom; listen to the law of our God, you people of Gomorrah!"

"High" refers to rulers and "earth" (AKA "low") equals the commoners, the masses.

A new heavens and new earth refers to a new ruling system and new people. "Righteousness" dwelling in them equals non-oppressive governments and people (therefore guns can be safely melted down to make tools) . For this to happen people must be in touch with reality and free from primitive/barbaric/superstitious imaginations - including beliefs about a special divine right to rule and be over all those who are different (a concept at the root of many wars).

The personal God is in you manifesting through your conscience and consciousness and not out there somewhere killing specific Japanese by personally shifting tectonic plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
It seems almost comical to me to hear the end time scoffers trying to pretend that we are not gaining momentum toward a major climax of earth-shattering events. I mean, sheesh - God is shaking the earth, man and it is now apparently not properly balanced on its axis.
The earth is not and has never been perfectly symmetrical and so the axis has always been "off". The only thing which is improper about a measurable change (which takes place during any large earthquake) is that it is different than it was before.

The information age has created the illusion that everything is speeding up. My point is - much wilder weather and earth movements have taken place than we are seeing today. It's our minds and bodies (through technology and knowledge) which have sped up. God does not manifest Himself outside of human consciousness.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:41 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,301,926 times
Then how do you think it will all end,fb? when the sun burns out millions of yrs from now, do you think God will remove life from the earth first so the inhabitants won't have to suffer the consequences? just curious...life can't go on forever on this planet.It will get extemely cold,dark and uninhabitable if that happens.Life will all die out,eventually.

Last edited by SC122; 03-19-2011 at 12:05 PM..

Old 03-19-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
The earth is not and has never been perfectly symmetrical and so the axis has always been "off". The only thing which is improper about a measurable change (which takes place during any large earthquake) is that it is different than it was before.
I would have to agree w that.Earth was designed to withstand these changes,and really...day a second shorter,earth slightly shifiting it's axis...did anyone even notice,if they weren't told?
and Japan is a bit closer to us...does it really matter?
JMO.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:08 PM

21,188 posts, read 21,060,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
I would have to agree w that.Earth was designed to withstand these changes,and really...day a second shorter,earth slightly shifiting it's axis...did anyone even notice,if they weren't told?
and Japan is a bit closer to us...does it really matter?
JMO.
Since Japan is a bit closer to us now - do you think the airlines will lower their rates a bit for flights from there to here? That would be nice!

It's really amazing what the Earth can withstand! All planets, really. I mean - look at Jupiter and it's crazy storms that are going on all the time!!! It's really incredible!

Old 03-19-2011, 03:17 PM

rofl dew.you'd think so huh?

yes it is.they were designed to take a beating,for sure.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
Then how do you think it will all end,fb? when the sun burns out millions of yrs from now, do you think God will remove life from the earth first so the inhabitants won't have to suffer the consequences? just curious...life can't go on forever on this planet.It will get extemely cold,dark and uninhabitable if that happens.Life will all die out,eventually.
I don't disagree with Heartsong that we are scurrying ahead into a climax of sorts. Population increases alone will lead to problems but this idea about God personally moving plates around to kill people is what bugs me. The absurdity of the notion. Picture yourself with a bunch of helpless bugs and squishing random bugs at will. So what? What's the message? Be afraid because I can squish you if you don't do what I want? Squish you so your fellow bugs will humble themselves before my mighty finger?

How shallow is that?

Old 03-19-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I mean - look at Jupiter and it's crazy storms that are going on all the time!!! It's really incredible!
And notice - no people left at all !!!

I wonder what great evil they did to get so much worse wrath than our little tsunamis.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:39 PM

8,830 posts, read 10,028,406 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with Heartsong that we are scurrying ahead into a climax of sorts. Population increases alone will lead to problems but this idea about God personally moving plates around to kill people is what bugs me. The absurdity of the notion. Picture yourself with a bunch of helpless bugs and squishing random bugs at will. So what? What's the message? Be afraid because I can squish you if you don't do what I want? Squish you so your fellow bugs will humble themselves before my mighty finger?

How shallow is that?
No I don't believe God had anything to do with the earthquake and tsunami in Japan anymore than I think He had something to do with my last bout with bronchitis. It just happens. But FB, Heartsong is correct in believing that things are "scurrying ahead into a climax" as you put it. There's no denying it. It's prophesied to happen, and it's happening. It's happening before our very eyes. We'd be in denial if we didn't see the changes that are taking place.

Let's just all sit back and realize that yes, it's happening but there's not a darn thing we can do about it except be ready.

I think we're in for a wild ride this year but with Jesus we can weather any storm or hardship. Thank God for Jesus.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:44 PM

21,188 posts, read 21,060,510 times
While I like you all very much - I don't see how we are scurrying ahead in a climax. We have only been aware of and recording the events on this planet for the past couple hundred years. The earth is thousands upon thousands of years old. Whatever slight trends we see are probably very insignificant. It just feels significant to us because all we have to go by are our limited experiences and the limited knowledge that is held about our beloved planet.
But that is my opinion - I'm not going to tell you that you have to change yours. I just disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or