Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:15 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,593,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
While I like you all very much - I don't see how we are scurrying ahead in a climax. We have only been aware of and recording the events on this planet for the past couple hundred years. The earth is thousands upon thousands of years old. Whatever slight trends we see are probably very insignificant. It just feels significant to us because all we have to go by are our limited experiences and the limited knowledge that is held about our beloved planet.
But that is my opinion - I'm not going to tell you that you have to change yours. I just disagree.
Well it's a proven fact that earthquakes are happening closer together this year than the last....just saying. It's a biblical thing Dewdrop, don't expect you to buy into it since you're not a believer. But it is prophesied, and it is happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 11:51 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,461,742 times
The planet is over 4 billion years old (yeah yeah I know but that's what the evidence says) and to use less than a tick of a clock in the life cycle of the planet (a few decades or even a century) to assume anything is such an exercise in deliberate ignorance. Before a trend could be plotted it have to be tracked over thousands or 10's of thousand of years against the scale of 4+ billion years.

Of fear and fairy tales can push all rational and reason aside and the chicken little dance shall continue.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:39 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,683,638 times
I think it's like Seinfeld in the way God wants it to end..go out with a bang while the getting is good.Don't wait for the show to decline first:

Sun: Destroy me...it's over??? But,I was getting good ratings down there!

God: exactly my point...!

Old 03-20-2011, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I don't disagree with Heartsong that we are scurrying ahead into a climax of sorts. Population increases alone will lead to problems but this idea about God personally moving plates around to kill people is what bugs me. The absurdity of the notion. Picture yourself with a bunch of helpless bugs and squishing random bugs at will. So what? What's the message? Be afraid because I can squish you if you don't do what I want? Squish you so your fellow bugs will humble themselves before my mighty finger?

How shallow is that?
it is shallow and I don't think God is doing that.I think it's a natural consequnce of a planet that *needs plate techtonics to maintain life on it.
even so,I believe it when God said we now live in a fallen state,and it won't be that way forever.so if it has to end sometime, since I believe God's word,the book of Revelations would be my best bet as to how that will happen.I'm not saying it will be today or tomorrow...who knows,since no man knows the day or hour.

why do I believe it when God says we live in a fallen state?I think God only creates perfect,and since we all have messed up human genome,someone besides God did that (via whatever interaction satan had with adam and eve,IMO),and that's why He prevented man from living forever (so we don't have to with these imperfections and things like diseases,birth defects,etc).thus death is a blessing in that respect,even though we tend to see it otherwise.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:53 AM

Quote:
And notice - no people left at all !!!

I wonder what great evil they did to get so much worse wrath than our little tsunamis.
ok silly,I'm sure you know the planets all protect us here in one way or another. :P

Old 03-20-2011, 09:15 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,461,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
I think it's like Seinfeld in the way God wants it to end..go out with a bang while the getting is good.Don't wait for the show to decline first:

Sun: Destroy me...it's over??? But,I was getting good ratings down there!

God: exactly my point...!

Good analogy, but not in the way you intended. But like a sitcom, it is all fictional, filled with absurd characters and impossible circumstances being written by a few men yet sold as real life.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:49 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,601,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
While I like you all very much - I don't see how we are scurrying ahead in a climax. We have only been aware of and recording the events on this planet for the past couple hundred years. The earth is thousands upon thousands of years old. Whatever slight trends we see are probably very insignificant. It just feels significant to us because all we have to go by are our limited experiences and the limited knowledge that is held about our beloved planet.
But that is my opinion - I'm not going to tell you that you have to change yours. I just disagree.
For my part I'm not speaking of the physical planet as I have consistently refuted the end times doomsdayers, but with the explosion of knowledge, technology and the sheer number of people on the planet - interesting times are ahead (I believe very good times are ahead as totally opposed to the ideas of the future tribulationers).

The exponential increases in both knowledge and capability do make this a unique time. My grandmother (who passed away just a few years ago) started life traveling by a horse and buggy (a dominant mode of transportation for thousands of years) and yet lived to see men walk on the moon and lived over thirty years beyond that!

So it's our minds and bodies which are speeding up. Ancient myths and unreasonable superstitions are cracking under tremendous pressure and are beginning to crumble under the weight of the age of reason.

I do realize that fundamentalism still has it's strongholds but with people like Rob Bell Rob Bell's 'Love Wins' Bad for Christianity? - US - CBN News - Christian News 24-7 - CBN.com coming on the scene we see a tremendous shift in Christian thinking. Moderate Islam is following suite as well as modern Judaism so (to me) these are great signs that better times lay ahead.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:52 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,109,255 times
Quote:
For my part I'm not speaking of the physical planet as I have consistently refuted the end times doomsdayers, but with the explosion of knowledge, technology and the sheer number of people on the planet - interesting times are ahead (I believe very good times are ahead as totally opposed to the ideas of the future tribulationers).

The exponential increases in both knowledge and capability do make this a unique time. My grandmother (who passed away just a few years ago) started life traveling by a horse and buggy (a dominant mode of transportation for thousands of years) and yet lived to see men walk on the moon and lived over thirty years beyond that!

So it's our minds and bodies which are speeding up. Ancient myths and unreasonable superstitions are cracking under tremendous pressure and are beginning to crumble under the weight of the age of reason.

I do realize that fundamentalism still has it's strongholds but with people like Rob Bell Rob Bell's 'Love Wins' Bad for Christianity? - US - CBN News - Christian News 24-7 - CBN.com coming on the scene we see a tremendous shift in Christian thinking. Moderate Islam is following suite as well as modern Judaism so (to me) these are great signs that better times lay ahead.
Gotcha! Thank you for the clarification! I can see where you are coming from now and it makes a lot more sense to me.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:59 PM

5,553 posts, read 7,985,628 times
Almost 130 years ago there was this:

Historic Earthquakes

Just imagine if some of the folks who post on this forum lived in those days, this would have been proof that...Yet, we are talking about 130 years ago and about an earthquake in a most unlikely of places.

Mother nature has been doing her things since this earth came into being billions of years ago. To judge the "end" by a mere fraction of that time is just ridiculous in my estimation. My girlfriend always tells me that any current generation of humans is ALWAYS full of themselves and loved to bask in their self-importance. It's gotta be OUR/MY generation that will see the end of it all. It's OUR/MY planet god came to. It's OUR/MY planet that has the intelligent life. Yeah, we're just full of ourselves.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:01 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,262,161 times
Quote:
Ancient myths and unreasonable superstitions are cracking under tremendous pressure and are beginning to crumble under the weight of the age of reason.
Fables were used for teaching children lessons.
Now, we understand them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity