U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 03:33 PM

360 posts, read 396,510 times

Advertisements

To be Christian, you have to believe that Jesus is your savior.

That's all. You don't even have to believe in God or any traditions or anything.

Now, belonging to an ACTUAL church is more complicated....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 03:51 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,767,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioanKid View Post

That's all. You don't even have to believe in God or any traditions or anything.

I completely disagree with you. You can be a Christian and not believe in God? What?! I've never heard anyone say this before.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:54 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,767,111 times
The reason so many "Christians" disagree with each other is because many people call themselves "Christians", but really aren't. They may have been brought up in a Christian household so they think they are Christians, but that doesn't make someone a Christian. I can't tell you how many people I've met that think they are Christians just because they went to church when they were a child or attended private Christian school. This does not make someone a Christian.

One thing Christians agree upon: On earth we will never agree with each other 100%.

Last edited by CantWait2Leave; 06-21-2010 at 04:05 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 04:07 PM

134 posts, read 829,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
No, you don't actually have to be a Christian to believe in Jesus, but your post asked the question concerning Christians.

Belief in Jesus is the common bond. Whether ET oe UR. Many Christians may not like that I believe Jesus will save all mankind, but that is their problem, they cannot escape the fact that I believe in Jesus.

If you believe in Jesus you can call yourself whatever you like, but your OP is not about you and what you believe, you asked this of Christians.

Do do you disagree that belief in Jesus is a common thread among Christians?
So ALL christians believe in Jesus but is it what they believe about Jesus that separates that christian from the non-christian? Could that be a simplified answer to my question?

Old 06-21-2010, 04:08 PM

4,240 posts, read 654,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioanKid View Post

That goes against scripture
Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:15 PM

5,499 posts, read 4,574,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastcountryboy View Post
So, does one have to love the lord christ jesus to be a christian? I know that this is a very rare situation but I did meet someone once on-line who claimed to be a christian because he believed in god but hated him.

Yes, he believed that he was going to Hell to (although didn't specify what he believed Hell was) but the fact is he didn't love the lord, but still called himself a christian.
Quote:
Sorry, I was a little vague.

I was responding to a post that referred to the belief in Jesus is a common denominator in christianity. I meant to point out that I also believe there was someone named Jesus, and that he was a great moral man but I don't have to be a christian to believe in him
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
That would unify this forum.

But something else has been bothering me: for so many believers to "congregate" here, there is virtually no praise for our Savior.

I'm sure it grieves the Lord to see so much fighting among family members, without ministry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
No, you don't actually have to be a Christian to believe in Jesus, but your post asked the question concerning Christians.

Belief in Jesus is the common bond. Whether ET oe UR. Many Christians may not like that I believe Jesus will save all mankind, but that is their problem, they cannot escape the fact that I believe in Jesus.

If you believe in Jesus you can call yourself whatever you like, but your OP is not about you and what you believe, you asked this of Christians.

Do do you disagree that belief in Jesus is a common thread among Christians?
A "TRUE CHRISTIAN" is he/she who follows and believes THE CHRIST DIED ON THE CROSS FOR THE SIN OF MANKIND...prophesied thousands of years ago by the prophets of GOD.

Psalm 22, Psalm 69, Isaiah 53...and many more!
Isaiah 53:5-6...He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us ALL.

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Blessings...

Old 06-21-2010, 04:54 PM

5,925 posts, read 5,839,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
A "TRUE CHRISTIAN" is he/she who follows and believes THE CHRIST DIED ON THE CROSS FOR THE SIN OF MANKIND...prophesied thousands of years ago by the prophets of GOD.

Psalm 22, Psalm 69, Isaiah 53...and many more!
Isaiah 53:5-6...He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us ALL.

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Blessings...

That is a nice speech, but the OP was not about a debate on who is a true Christian (something that is not up to you to decide) the OP asked what Christians can agree upon.

I believe in Jesus, you believe in Jesus. Whether you like it or not, we agree upon believing in Jesus.

Many people agree upon things they do not like to agree upon. No one said you have to like what I say, but you can be tormented over the fact that we both and an atheist agree upon belief in Jesus whether you are strong enough to admit it or not.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:03 PM

5,925 posts, read 5,839,263 times
Quote:
So ALL christians believe in Jesus but is it what they believe about Jesus that separates that christian from the non-christian? Could that be a simplified answer to my question?
We can find disagreement in any group of people you would like to bring up. Your question is a good question.

We can pick apart my answer of "Jesus" if you like, but I would suggest starting another thread.

Philippians says to rejoice that Christ is preached and that Christ is preached many different ways and the passage implies that some of those ways are not that agreeable.

A Christian, by the very nature that they accept the label, agrees universally that Jesus is a factor.

What two christians may disagree upon concerning the nature of Jesus is an issue for another thread. You asked what all Christians can agree upon and Jesus is my answer.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:22 PM

3,540 posts, read 6,081,613 times
I hope there is one thing we can all agree on;

None of us are, or will ever be, God.

(I still think Bacon is good though)

Old 06-21-2010, 05:28 PM

4,240 posts, read 654,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I hope there is one thing we can all agree on;

None of us are, or will ever be, God.

(I still think Bacon is good though)
Now you got me wanting bacon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or