U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 12:59 AM

6,791 posts, read 4,069,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
That would be awesome!!!

We had our neighborhood holiday party last night and it was so much fun! One of my neighbors is making me his new project - he wants me to sing at the Clubhouse one night - like a show that all the neighbors can come to! We'll see! I mean, it would be lots of fun for me but I just worry that not that many people would really be interested in coming! I sing musical theatre and opera - I know it's not up everyone's alley! Plus - I don't want it to seem like I'm some sort of egomaniac! I think if I do it - I'll invite a couple of my friends to do it with me - so it won't be so much like I'm just stroking my own ego... Oh well... We'll seel! Anyway - the party was so much fun! I love my new neighbors!
That would be such a nice gesture Dewdrop!

Wait 'til they hear you...they're gonna be blown away!

And hey...it could mean some side jobs for ya...singing at weddings (like the "before the ceremony" part) and such...if you do that kind of thing. People spend a fortune on weddings...and there are some crazy rich people all around where you live.

At the very least, it will be a real nice thing to do for them...and it's always cool when you can bring joy to others. Music has a special way of doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 05:06 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,680,648 times
June, my advice is to go with your mother sometime to see if her driving is still ok. My hubby and I went with my mother once and my hubby said he wasn't going to get in a car with her driving anymore, it was too dangerous. I had to admit it was after he said that. I think children do not want to see their parents failing and are in some denial.

My mother recognized she was getting weaker though and her walking was affected. I think if our older relatives have a hard time walking they are more willing to give up things. Sad to say but those older folks who can get around fine but don't have the dexterity they once had are harder to convince they need to stop doing some things.

Also on another note---have you seen those Christmas houses all lit up on the net and synchronized to atrocious songs? I have a small headache tonight and they are very annoying when one has a headache. I can't look at them right now. LOL

Old 12-14-2010, 05:20 PM

3,540 posts, read 6,079,527 times
My once independent and self reliant mother-in law, had a severe stroke over 5 years ago.

And she's been living with us ever since.

Not being able to drive is a BIG deal with seniors !

My mother-in law has accompanied us several times to the golf course.
And we let her drive the golf cart

It was a riot!
Reminded me of Mr (Mrs ) Magoo

We all had a great time

Old 12-14-2010, 06:33 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,680,648 times
Default Here is a good tip for Christmas giving, I think it would be fun---

I'm reading an article about regifting and found this---

Our family does something a little different. Instead of being caught in the "Regifting Dilemna" we have a tradition that we have now done for about 5 years. It is called "Bargains on The Bed." Every year before Christmas we go through our old gifts, unneeded bric a brac and whatever else we can find. We all bring our goodies to our Mom (Nana's) house and spread all the treasures on the bed in her bedroom. After we are all done with eating and present opening we are then allowed to venture into her bedroom and chose our treasures. It is the ultimate in fun and recycling. We all collect whatever treasures we like. If there are any treasures left over, they are then donated to the local Goodwill agency. Everyone is a winner.
Mom has resorted to buying little things, books, coloring books etc for the many great grandchildren who have their own bed. It is so much fun and such a memory that has been created for us all. And definitely a great way to recycle our things. Merry Christmas to all!

Old 12-16-2010, 11:22 PM

21,188 posts, read 20,994,094 times
It's soooo cold still!!! And it doesn't look like it's every going to get warm again... ever!

Old 12-17-2010, 09:30 PM

7,811 posts, read 10,700,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
It's soooo cold still!!! And it doesn't look like it's every going to get warm again... ever!
Hey, Dewdrop, it's a whopping 26 degrees up here, which means it can't be much more warm and toasty where you are! All June can say is "Brrrrr!"

Old 12-17-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
June, my advice is to go with your mother sometime to see if her driving is still ok.
Janelle, the few times I've been in a car with her, she's cautious (and a bit slow) but seems to manage it okay....

However:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post

And we let her drive the golf cart.
Now this ^ to June sounds like a fabulous option! Get mom to turn in her car for a nice, comfortable golf cart (that comes 'fully loaded') cuz despite the fact that June's never been in a golf cart, she's thinkin' those suckers can't possibly get much above 30 mph.!!!!

--That way, Mom could still get to the grocery store (albeit, a bit slower) to get her groceries and weekly package of bacon! June thinks this is a potentially "workable" idea!....

Old 12-18-2010, 04:59 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,260,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

Now this ^ to June sounds like a fabulous option! Get mom to turn in her car for a nice, comfortable golf cart (that comes 'fully loaded') cuz despite the fact that June's never been in a golf cart, she's thinkin' those suckers can't possibly get much above 30 mph.!!!!

--That way, Mom could still get to the grocery store (albeit, a bit slower) to get her groceries and weekly package of bacon! June thinks this is a potentially "workable" idea!....

Did I hear bacon......

where's the bacon ???

................I don't see any BACON.....

Old 12-18-2010, 10:35 AM

11,102 posts, read 13,185,633 times
My Mother is in her mid 70s now and I'm very thankful she is still healthy and and a good driver

I can see where that would be a bad deal.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Did I hear bacon......

where's the bacon ???

................I don't see any BACON.....
Here ya go!

http://img4.allyou.com/i/2009/11/bac...-l.jpg?400:400
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or