U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 01:11 PM

8,830 posts, read 10,020,313 times

Advertisements

Lovely lyrics and song O-Ducky. I guess I'm pretty "worldly" in my music and song choices, I love everything "rock" and "roll", and anything that just has a good beat to it. I love all kinds of music and this song is now on my mind so I'm sharing it: it just happens to be by a Christian rock band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99j0zLuNhi8&ob=av2em
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 02:08 PM

I just wanted to share what's on my mind, and that always seems to be music. I'll wake up with a song in my head and until I actually hear it, I can't get it out. I love music, it has really seen me through the worst of times and the best of times. But then again, so have my animals. But I digress, I was talking about music.

Years ago before I really gave my life to the Lord ( I was just a teenager) I would (here comes some of that dreaded testimony) sit in front of the stereo on the floor indian style and blast myself and the neighbors in the apartments with Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rush, or Peter Frampton (love that guy). I was only about 14 and I would crank the stereo, get into my mother's liquor and mix up a whiskey sour and go sit out on the curb hoping someone would talk to me.

One day someone did, it was a kid who lived in the apartments and he came racing by me on a skateboard and said whatcha doin? I was so horribly shy but the liquor really helped me that day to be able to talk to him. And so came the alcoholism that I still struggle with. But that's another whole story. So, his name was Jimmy, he had an older brother named Steve and they lived in the neighboring apartments with their father Sid. We all became great friends and I would go over to their apartment at night, totally ignoring my mother, and hang out and eat boiled peanuts.

It was the best of times, they were great to me but one night my mother showed up in her nightgown knocking at the door, drunk, crying and wanting to know when I was coming home. Sid tenderly brought her in and talked with her, assuring her that I was safe and everything was fine. These were different times folks, it was the 70's and things were much different and it was just me and my Mom. From that moment on we all were great friends and hung out all of the time together.

Sid, Jimmy and Steve moved to a house out in the sticks but we still hung out and had a grand time. Sid had a thing for my Mom, but it wasn't like that, they were always just friends. There was a pretty big age difference between them. We were all struggling with stuff, finances, alcohol abuse and drugs. But we loved each other. I remember the first time I saw "Rocky Horror Picture Show".....it was a blast!! Jimmy took me and we threw toast and toilet paper and just had the most fun....it was like nothing I had ever experienced!! The place was a mess but everyone was so on board with what was being said and done, it really was an experience. We continued on with our lifestyles, miserable in a lot of ways but connected and together in spite of all of it.

This is where is really gets weird and sad. I was going to move back to NC for the gazzillionth time, to live with my father, not out of choice but because my mother couldn't control me and had no idea what to do with me. But before that happened, Jimmy came home one day and wanted to talk to me, he had something really awesome to tell me and wanted to share it with me. He had been to church with someone and had gotten saved!! I was floored and we sat on his bed and talked forever about it.....he had never even known about Christ before then and that really shocked me because I had been brought up, both sides of the family, with a holy-rolling belief and we attended an Assembly of God church. Now mind you, I was still only 14 and very confused and my parental units were very dysfunctional at the time. I thought EVERYONE knew about God, for heaven's sake. We just chose to live like the devil and go to church on Wednesday and Sundays like everybody else.

Jimmy was SO on fire and so excited and his question to me was......well if you knew about this, why didn't you tell me?? I'll never forget that and how guilty I felt. I learned at the tender age of 14 (mind you it took me 30 more years to get with the program) how all fire important it is to SHARE your faith and talk about the Lord. I never knew this until then. I'll never forget the bewilderment on Jimmy's face because I had this knowledge and I never shared it. Well, duh, gimme a break, I was only 14!!! And had a drinking and drug problem to boot! But that stuck with me, and I'm here now to tell people what an awesome God we have and how He can change your life!!

I still have my struggles, you all who know me well know exactly what I struggle with and why. I won't go into that but what started me on this journey down memory lane is the wonderful, magical music that I have enjoyed for SOOOO long, it has really gotten me through so much. God speaks to us through music and I just wanted to say how fortunate we are to all be here and be able to share with each other every day. We have formed bonds and friendships and I feel like I know some of you as if you were sitting right next to me.

Thank you dear Lord for City-Data and the people here, and thank you for showing me who you really are and loving me in spite of myself. I fail each day, I get back up, and I fall down again. But you're always there, always picking me up and always have been I just didn't know it. Forgive me for not sharing you with those closest to me, I've tried to do better and city-data is a way for me to do that. I thank you for my life and how you have brought me through to this very day where I can share some of my story with my non-judgmental friends. I have so much to share but it's very rare that I do, so take this for what it's worth and use it to your glory dear Lord. Amen.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:23 PM

823 posts, read 1,122,588 times
Ilene. Thanks for being such a real and honest person. You may not have been shouting out the Word of God when you were 14 (I totally wasn't at thage age myself) but I can honestly say that I see the Love of God transforming your soul even via the internet. I had to turn down the brightness on my computer screen for heavens sake I am sure you have touched a soul or two right here on CD along this new journey of yours!

I love music too and have a huge ITunes file as I work from home and it gets lonely so its my music library that keeps me sane and I have all sorts of music - everything from the 70's, I loved the good old rock and roll days and even, I hate to admit it, dabbled into some disco for a couple of years there

Did you see Frampton on Oprah? Was great to see him.

Wish I could stay but gotta get back to the dreaded housework (I have company coming tonight). Ahh and I have a Frampton song coming up in a few songs. Better crank the volume - "Show Me the Way!"

Old 01-15-2011, 03:45 PM

7,813 posts, read 10,712,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I still have my struggles, you all who know me well know exactly what I struggle with and why. I won't go into that but what started me on this journey down memory lane is the wonderful, magical music that I have enjoyed for SOOOO long, it has really gotten me through so much. God speaks to us through music and I just wanted to say how fortunate we are to all be here and be able to share with each other every day. We have formed bonds and friendships and I feel like I know some of you as if you were sitting right next to me.

Thank you dear Lord for City-Data and the people here, and thank you for showing me who you really are and loving me in spite of myself. I fail each day, I get back up, and I fall down again. But you're always there, always picking me up and always have been I just didn't know it. Forgive me for not sharing you with those closest to me, I've tried to do better and city-data is a way for me to do that. I thank you for my life and how you have brought me through to this very day where I can share some of my story with my non-judgmental friends. I have so much to share but it's very rare that I do, so take this for what it's worth and use it to your glory dear Lord. Amen.
Ilene, June's just gotta tell you that what you wrote, especially in the paragraphas above, is truly beautiful! Am glad that you have joined the rest of us on this Friendship thread; it's a good place for all who believe (whatever denomination or mindset they may be) and for those who perhaps do not...

Thank you for your story, and your beatifully written words that inspire!

Old 01-15-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Ilene, June's just gotta tell you that what you wrote, especially in the paragraphas above, is truly beautiful! Am glad that you have joined the rest of us on this Friendship thread; it's a good place for all who believe (whatever denomination or mindset they may be) and for those who perhaps do not...

Thank you for your story, and your beatifully written words that inspire!
Thanks June, you're the bestest!! I've poked my head into this thread on occasion but I can see that I need to do that more often and so let's keep it going! Thank you for saying that June, it really touches my heart.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:40 PM

21,188 posts, read 21,032,415 times
What a wonderful post, Irene!

I'm a singer - so music is one of the biggest parts of my life. I always have a song running through my head - whether I'm singing it out loud or not. When I'm down - singing helps pick me up. I can't tell you how if feels to sing an aria at the top of my lungs - it's exhilirating! I can't imagine life with out music.

On a different note - I watched The Time Traveler's Wife today and cried my eyes out. I knew I would. I wasn't planning on watching it because of that. Yeah - I'm a BIG cryer!

Old 01-15-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
What a wonderful post, Irene!

I'm a singer - so music is one of the biggest parts of my life. I always have a song running through my head - whether I'm singing it out loud or not. When I'm down - singing helps pick me up. I can't tell you how if feels to sing an aria at the top of my lungs - it's exhilirating! I can't imagine life with out music.

On a different note - I watched The Time Traveler's Wife today and cried my eyes out. I knew I would. I wasn't planning on watching it because of that. Yeah - I'm a BIG cryer!
Thanks Dewdrop, I hope you're a better singer than I am!! I love music but I can't carry a tune in a bucket without the music playing. LOL! I can't imagine life without music either though, how sad that would be.

And on your different note.....I KNOW!! I watched it when it first came on cable and it was so sad!! I love a good chic flick and I thought the "Time Travelers Wife" was worth the watch! I recommend it, even though it's sorta sad.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:35 PM

21,188 posts, read 21,032,415 times
Quote:
Thanks Dewdrop, I hope you're a better singer than I am!! I love music but I can't carry a tune in a bucket without the music playing. LOL! I can't imagine life without music either though, how sad that would be.

And on your different note.....I KNOW!! I watched it when it first came on cable and it was so sad!! I love a good chic flick and I thought the "Time Travelers Wife" was worth the watch! I recommend it, even though it's sorta sad.

I would recommend it, too. I loved it even though it was sad and I cried my eyes out. Sort of like the Notebook (also starring Rachel McAdams!).

Old 01-15-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Thank you for saying that June, it really touches my heart.
You're welcome, but it was easily and heartfelt said as you touch June's heart, my dear!

Old 01-15-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I watched The Time Traveler's Wife today and cried my eyes out. I knew I would. I wasn't planning on watching it because of that. Yeah - I'm a BIG cryer!
Quote:
I watched it when it first came on cable and it was so sad!! I love a good chic flick and I thought the "Time Travelers Wife" was worth the watch! I recommend it, even though it's sorta sad.
June has noticed that Time Traveler's Wife has been on cable a lot, lately, but has intentionally avoided watching it. She read the book when it first came out, and didn't particularly care for it. Then again, there actually are some books that translate far better into movies than the opposite, which is usuallly the case. --So June will definately make a point of watching it the next time she sees it come up on her cable stations....And will be sure and have a box of kleenex ready!!!

P.S. Although she will admit that the very last few paragraphs of the book DID make her cry...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or