U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 06:44 AM

13,570 posts, read 21,712,120 times

Advertisements

Macrina, I am glad you're back. I have other friends on the net who also give up internet during lent..I imagine it would be very difficult but also very fulfilling to know you can do it
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 10:26 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,386,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Macrina, I am glad you're back. I have other friends on the net who also give up internet during lent..I imagine it would be very difficult but also very fulfilling to know you can do it
Hello, BLUE!! Just doing a little CD surfing and wanted to say "hello" to you my dear friend. I don't imagine I will hang out here very long, I was hoping for a few answers and this is always a good place to find insight (so long as I remember to take it with a grain of salt).

Old 05-16-2013, 02:29 PM

13,570 posts, read 21,712,120 times
Weather, it always brightens my time here to see you drop in. (and of course I was thinking of you in my last post)

I have a whole bag of rock salt if you need more than a grain
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio

Old 05-19-2013, 09:47 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,581,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Thanks, Miss Blue Yes, it was difficult but it's nice to be back, even being here for shorter periods of time.

I've just had a rather vivid illustration of the fallacy of the "all the time in the world" type of thinking. Very sobering, indeed.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:51 PM

774 posts, read 651,171 times
ordered a pizza and watching the SEC baseball tournament
also thankfully my step-sister, aunt, uncle and first cousins missed the tornado in Oklahoma

Old 05-23-2013, 04:57 PM

130 posts, read 185,123 times
Last January I ended up homeless, and moved into a men's home for a local church. I had been traumatized from my childhood, growing up w a father who had schizoid effective disorder, and a drug and alcohol problem. I ended up becoming a drug addict as well, and found myself w no support, no job and nowhere to turn.

I moved into the home, and it was not easy. We were taken advantage of, worked like dogs, sometimes around the clock. There were 17 of us living in one avg. sized house, and we were not fed very well, sometimes we didn't even get lunch. We often didn't get much sleep, and there were nights that we didn't get to sleep at all. Questioning or complaining to the director led u to be told, u were going against what God wanted for u. This is where the power of prayer changed my life.

I was being worn down, mentally, and physically. During prayer one day I told God to have his way in my life, and that my will was no longer my own. From that moment on, I have been reborn.

God answered all of my prayers from that moment on, and I prayed my way through the home. What happened in the home was not right, but I'm the person I am today because of it. I was able to completely forgive those that I held resentment towards, since I was a child. I have also been drug free for 500 days as of today. The best part about God's grace is being able to be the father, I always wanted to be, and not having to feel guilty about anything I did in my past. Jesus says in the bible that all things in Christ are a new creation, and I am so thankful for His mercy and grace. My life I owe to Him.

Every time I read this scripture in the home I was filled with the Holy Spirit, and it gave me the strength and courage to push on.

"He gives power to the weak,
And to those who have no might He increases strength.
Even the youths shall faint and be weary.
And the young men shall utterly fall,
But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint."

-Isaiah 40:29-31

Old 05-25-2013, 04:28 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,758,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vplegend View Post
Last January I ended up homeless, and moved into a men's home for a local church. I had been traumatized from my childhood, growing up w a father who had schizoid effective disorder, and a drug and alcohol problem. I ended up becoming a drug addict as well, and found myself w no support, no job and nowhere to turn.

I moved into the home, and it was not easy. We were taken advantage of, worked like dogs, sometimes around the clock. There were 17 of us living in one avg. sized house, and we were not fed very well, sometimes we didn't even get lunch. We often didn't get much sleep, and there were nights that we didn't get to sleep at all. Questioning or complaining to the director led u to be told, u were going against what God wanted for u. This is where the power of prayer changed my life.

I was being worn down, mentally, and physically. During prayer one day I told God to have his way in my life, and that my will was no longer my own. From that moment on, I have been reborn.

God answered all of my prayers from that moment on, and I prayed my way through the home. What happened in the home was not right, but I'm the person I am today because of it. I was able to completely forgive those that I held resentment towards, since I was a child. I have also been drug free for 500 days as of today. The best part about God's grace is being able to be the father, I always wanted to be, and not having to feel guilty about anything I did in my past. Jesus says in the bible that all things in Christ are a new creation, and I am so thankful for His mercy and grace. My life I owe to Him.

Every time I read this scripture in the home I was filled with the Holy Spirit, and it gave me the strength and courage to push on.

"He gives power to the weak,
And to those who have no might He increases strength.
Even the youths shall faint and be weary.
And the young men shall utterly fall,
But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint."

-Isaiah 40:29-31
This is a wonderful testimony you have. So happy for you. Isaiah is so full of wonderful promises... I've always liked that book very much.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:16 AM

130 posts, read 185,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
This is a wonderful testimony you have. So happy for you. Isaiah is so full of wonderful promises... I've always liked that book very much.
Thank u very much! God bless u!!

Old 05-25-2013, 09:15 PM

5,806 posts, read 4,786,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vplegend View Post
. I was able to completely forgive those that I held resentment towards, since I was a child. I have also been drug free for 500 days as of today. The best part about God's grace is being able to be the father, I always wanted to be, and not having to feel guilty about anything I did in my past. Jesus says in the bible that all things in Christ are a new creation, and I am so thankful for His mercy and grace. My life I owe to Him.

That is so wonderful. Forgiveness holds within itself such a beautiful power.
I'm glad that you came out of such trying times, and ended up stronger because of it. The level of compassion you'll have for others in a similar situation will no doubt help people in the future. Congrats on being drug free for so long. That is an accomplishment. Thank you very much for sharing these things. It helps us ALL.
((( hugs ))) to you.
peace,
sparrow

Old 05-25-2013, 10:01 PM

15,906 posts, read 8,164,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
That is so wonderful. Forgiveness holds within itself such a beautiful power.
I'm glad that you came out of such trying times, and ended up stronger because of it. The level of compassion you'll have for others in a similar situation will no doubt help people in the future. Congrats on being drug free for so long. That is an accomplishment. Thank you very much for sharing these things. It helps us ALL.
((( hugs ))) to you.
peace,
sparrow

Good to have you here, vplegend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or