U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 05:29 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,660,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
You was right to question me Dew, and it was just down right mean for me to say in the first place. I just stay in the horror of the thought that this girl is going to give me a grandchild that I may never see, it really tears at me hard to even consider it and they are talking about having a kid.

Maybe she is just still too young or aint grown yet and I am too judgmental.

My bad.
Who knows? Maybe a child would change things and both of them will decide they want Grandpa Hannibal in their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 05:45 PM

14,818 posts, read 4,970,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Who knows? Maybe a child would change things and both of them will decide they want Grandpa Hannibal in their lives.
Who knows, She could turn out the best thing that ever happened to me, and I figure God is in there somewhere so I don't know why I pulled out that sword anyway, I am sure I dropped it and cut my big toe off already. If I don't get me a granddaughter pretty soon, I may really cut myself.

DANG THE BAD LUCK.

It could happen just as you say but OMG if my son had a daughter I couldn't see. I talked to my daughter's husband till 5 in the morning last night begging them to adopt a girl and if my son had a girl and I couldn't be around that child, well, I just don't know what I would do. I am CRAZY in the head wanting a granddaughter. CRAZY, it is all I think about lol.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:55 PM

25,818 posts, read 13,417,575 times
I'd dearly love a grandchild or 12 but I don't see it happening.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'd dearly love a grandchild or 12 but I don't see it happening.
Aint nothing like it, I only decided to try and live longer after my first grandbaby. It really makes you want to be a better man.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:10 AM

Some kid came over here, bout 16, 17, walks up on me outside and says,'' Sir, Can we talk about Christ?''

LOL.

I don't really talk religion with people face to face and when somebody is trying to save my soul, I got one answer,'' Jewish.''

So I says, I says,'' Jewish.''

He goes into telling me about saint Paul and how the law is cursed and such, wants me to come to his Iglesia church or whatever. I thought I should have some fun with the kid, he gets ready to leave and wants to pray for me and so he lays hands on me and I start growling, freaking out lol.

He took his hands away right and says,'' In the name of Jesus come out lol.''

Old 08-27-2016, 11:08 AM

25,818 posts, read 13,417,575 times
Quote:
Some kid came over here, bout 16, 17, walks up on me outside and says,'' Sir, Can we talk about Christ?''

LOL.

I don't really talk religion with people face to face and when somebody is trying to save my soul, I got one answer,'' Jewish.''

He goes into telling me about saint Paul and how the law is cursed and such, wants me to come to his Iglesia church or whatever. I thought I should have some fun with the kid, he gets ready to leave and wants to pray for me and so he lays hands on me and I start growling, freaking out lol.

Sometimes I think of religion as an infection. If you have a healthy immune system (ability to reason, decent education) and were not infected from birth - you can be cured or live comfortably with the condition under control.

And then we see others - here on CD and elsewhere - in whom the infection rages out of control.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Sometimes I think of religion as an infection. If you have a healthy immune system (ability to reason, decent education) and were not infected from birth - you can be cured or live comfortably with the condition under control.

And then we see others - here on CD and elsewhere - in whom the infection rages out of control.
I am to the mind that you shouldn't teach a child all about your religion at least till he becomes a teenager. Well, it didn't work out for me anyway. Put so much pressure on a child when a parent starts telling the child about hell and he believes it. I was so riddled with regret, shame, horror before I was 5.

Hellofathang to convince a 5 year old that he is going to hell where he will burn forever more, they will put bamboo sticks in your eardrums and visit you with all sorts of cruel torments.

Yeah, good times, good times, that freaking Preacher my mom took us to, what a winner. He fills a church full of little babies for an after school treat,'' Hey we get to watch a movie! yay!,'' the movie begins with the enemy overrunning America and torturing little babies putting bamboo in they eardrums till the blood starts shooting out, and then they inform us that the end is near and so we needed to prepare for being tortured, I often thought{not no more though} of finding that dude to torture him myself, freaking crazy preachers.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 08-27-2016 at 12:34 PM..

Old 08-28-2016, 01:48 AM

1,353 posts, read 727,117 times
Quote:

LOL.

That kid was right on though (im sure he didnt say the law is cursed), why dont you go and try out that Iglesia church?

Old 08-28-2016, 07:36 AM

15,906 posts, read 8,170,566 times
Quote:
I am to the mind that you shouldn't teach a child all about your religion at least till he becomes a teenager. Well, it didn't work out for me anyway. Put so much pressure on a child when a parent starts telling the child about hell and he believes it. I was so riddled with regret, shame, horror before I was 5.

Hellofathang to convince a 5 year old that he is going to hell where he will burn forever more, they will put bamboo sticks in your eardrums and visit you with all sorts of cruel torments.

Yeah, good times, good times, that freaking Preacher my mom took us to, what a winner. He fills a church full of little babies for an after school treat,'' Hey we get to watch a movie! yay!,'' the movie begins with the enemy overrunning America and torturing little babies putting bamboo in they eardrums till the blood starts shooting out, and then they inform us that the end is near and so we needed to prepare for being tortured, I often thought{not no more though} of finding that dude to torture him myself, freaking crazy preachers.
Here's one of those memories that thinking back on as an adult and a parent is horrifying to me...

When I was a young teen, a family in the neighborhood asked me to babysit their son. They seemed to think that because I was a pastor's kid, I'd be a good choice, even though they weren't church-goers themselves. I'd been thoroughly indoctrinated with the fear of hell and I was worried for this kid, because his parents weren't religious. So, I asked him if he believed in Jesus and when he said no I went into a full-fledged verbal assault. I HAD to convince him he was a sinner deserving of hell, or he'd see no reason to believe in Jesus as his savior. That poor, poor child. He was crying and saying he wasn't a sinner and he didn't deserve that, and I was crying because I was so scared for his eternal soul. But in the end, he got angry and told me to get out of his room and leave him alone. God bless him, and God bless his parents for raising that boy to stand up for himself like he did.

He told his parents, his parents called my father, and my father asked me what had happened. By then, I'd become downright self-righteous about the whole thing: I was trying to save his eternal soul, after all. So, I told my dad what I'd said and done. HE looked horrified, and I couldn't understand that at all. I confronted him with what I'd been told all my life by him, and by the people in the church he pastored ... that receiving Jesus as your savior was the single most important thing one must do. (The denomination I was raised in does not believe in any "age of accountability", so non-Christian children were going to hell right alongside the adults.) This boy wasn't saved, and his parents sure weren't going to teach him about Jesus.

So, what was I supposed to do? Not care? Not say anything? Leave that boy to suffer an eternity in hell? Didn't God want me to have the courage to tell him the "gospel"? As I remember it, my dad didn't say anything more to me about it but I could tell he was conflicted, and I was devastated by that. If it was as important as I'd always been taught, why was it even a question in his mind that I'd done the right thing?

I was such a thoughtless religious zealot. I still get teary-eyed when I think about that boy.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:51 AM

15,310 posts, read 10,341,228 times
Quote:
Well, I don't think innocence was there lol.

Here is one, 30 years ago.
Here's me 40 years ago. Certainly no innocence there!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or