U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-23-2010, 11:17 PM
 
Location: West Coast USA
1,577 posts, read 1,853,560 times
Reputation: 3140

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I have always been attracted to Judaism. I finally started to attend a local synagogue and then joined a lay led shul. I started working with a rabbi and learning Hebrew. The more I learned about Judaism the more connected I became. Sometimes I forgot I wasn't Jewish. My kids wanted to go to Hebrew school and they too felt connected. So we all became Jewish a few years ago. I felt connected and I believe that I have a Jewish soul and that I always did. The restlessness I had with religion I really believe was the restlessness of my soul.

My parents waited till my brother and I were grown to become involved in religion. They are now Catholic. My brother is Baptist.

Why did he want you to take off your wedding ring?
Interesting, Jazzy! Similar in some ways to my journey. The first time I started looking for something other than the church was when I asked, at the church I attended, why we were going to church on Sunday . . . well, I don't want to get controversial here. They couldn't answer, and no one else knew. So I started looking for a place that gathered on Sabbath.

You have quite a spread of religious idologies in your family! Wow!

The church I was reared in would not let members wear jewelry, makeup, etc. Additionally, the women could only wear dresses and skirts and had to have long hair. That has, however, changed; they dress like everyone else now. Kind of funny, if it wasn't so sad, that the definition of "sin" has changed for them so drastically in 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2010, 11:19 PM
 
Location: West Coast USA
1,577 posts, read 1,853,560 times
Reputation: 3140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
This month my rabbi has been sending out daily thoughts for Elul and they have been helpful.
That is really Great! I like that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 05:32 AM
 
139 posts, read 172,324 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Sometimes other posters think I am a man - does that count? I'm not sure why - I know Dewdrop is a very macho name!!!

SisterKat - my heart goes out to you! I don't have any children yet - but I live in New York and my mom lives in Los Angeles. I went to summer camp for the whole summer between my junior and senior year in highschool and I went to college in Michigan. My mom said that she always knew I'd live far away - so she prepared herself. My mom and I are still really close and talk all the time. She's my best friend!

Howgreatthouart - My husband and his brother can't be around each other for more than 5 minutes with out yelling at each other! To be honest, I've yelled at his brother, too. He's just one of the people that really tries your patience! We all have family members like that. With me - it used to be my aunt. However, she's really changed in the last 10 years or so - become so much more self aware than she ever was - and now we get along so much better! And she's in her early 70's - so it goes to show you that it's never too late to change! Anyway, don't feel bad - getting along with your family isn't always easy. The fact that you are upset by it shows how much you care.

As for me - I ate enough for 3 people today and am exhausted!!!
hey dewdrop( very macho name -hehe lol)

Thanks for your response. i love my sis lots.. i know that in time things will change and we will eventually have a great relaionship ( i have hope )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 08:35 AM
 
4,083 posts, read 4,434,138 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
Interesting, Jazzy! Similar in some ways to my journey. The first time I started looking for something other than the church was when I asked, at the church I attended, why we were going to church on Sunday . . . well, I don't want to get controversial here. They couldn't answer, and no one else knew. So I started looking for a place that gathered on Sabbath.

You have quite a spread of religious idologies in your family! Wow!

The church I was reared in would not let members wear jewelry, makeup, etc. Additionally, the women could only wear dresses and skirts and had to have long hair. That has, however, changed; they dress like everyone else now. Kind of funny, if it wasn't so sad, that the definition of "sin" has changed for them so drastically in 10 years.
yes we do have a spread of ideologies! My father is a theologian and he taught early church history at the college level. I don't know why they never brought us up as anything. I often felt left out and I never fit in with all the kids who seemed to go to church. I remember being in the 3rd grade and at that point I didn't believe there was a G-d, and I didn't have trouble vocalizing it.

Then when I did finally acknowledge that there was a G-d I couldn't understand why he would leave out all those who believed in him but weren't Christian. I also wondered about all the good people in the world. Anyway my dad let me go to church with neighbors and then when I came home with ideas he didn't like he stopped letting me go.

My neighbors were Jewish and I shared more with them I think growing up.

My parents have been really supportive of my family being Jewish.

The home I grew up in was a very tolerant home with a very tolerant religious belief. I grew up with ethical monotheism although at the time I didn't know that.

He made me question without even making me realize I was doing that. I was really lucky I think in getting to figure out religion on my own.

I think my brother is baptist because his wife is. He followed my parents into the Catholic church, but a few years later he got married and his wife is baptist.

My husband is a skeptical agnostic who was brought up methodist and as soon as he grew up quit going and hates organized religion.

Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 11:17 AM
 
Location: West Coast USA
1,577 posts, read 1,853,560 times
Reputation: 3140
Amazing story, Jazzy! Thank you! And you have a great day, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 08:56 PM
 
4,083 posts, read 4,434,138 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
Amazing story, Jazzy! Thank you! And you have a great day, too!

You too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 09:10 PM
 
7,816 posts, read 10,720,792 times
Reputation: 3452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post

Then when I did finally acknowledge that there was a G-d I couldn't understand why he would leave out all those who believed in him but weren't Christian. I also wondered about all the good people in the world.

Jazzymom: You so incredibly expressed what June's experience was, to a "tee" at the age of five....It helps to hear another person's accounting of what June expereinced. --She thanks you. Very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 09:19 PM
 
7,816 posts, read 10,720,792 times
Reputation: 3452
Default For what it's worth....

It's cold up here in New England. Like 60 degrees cold! For whatever reason June felt compelled to post something about the fact that it's time for bed, and it's "cold" outside, at the same time that it's raining....

~Anyone else out there that finds it oh, so comforting to get into bed, and fall asleep to the sound of rain? It's one of June's "personal favorites" and is up there among "the most comforting" things in this world....!

Rain...


It replenishes...the sleeping soul....



(Even 'atheist' souls?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
823 posts, read 1,123,894 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
It's cold up here in New England. Like 60 degrees cold! For whatever reason June felt compelled to post something about the fact that it's time for bed, and it's "cold" outside, at the same time that it's raining....

~Anyone else out there that finds it oh, so comforting to get into bed, and fall asleep to the sound of rain? It's one of June's "personal favorites" and is up there among "the most comforting" things in this world....!

Rain...


It replenishes...the sleeping soul....



(Even 'atheist' souls?)
Hi June...I am a Vancouverite so you have no choice but to love the rain. Today it was sunny and warm here but our seasons I think are similar to yours. I look forward to the Fall when the leaves will turn, we will have our rainy days and hockey starts again......us Canadians love our hockey

PS: I got through today.....my little boy is in Toronto now. My son loves the ocean here so we went out for dinner last night to White Rock beach and I told him that back East he will experience a breathtaking Fall - I hear it is quite spectacular when the leaves turn colour in the East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 06:15 AM
 
7,816 posts, read 10,720,792 times
Reputation: 3452
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
I told him that back East he will experience a breathtaking Fall - I hear it is quite spectacular when the leaves turn colour in the East.

I have to admit, we do have spectacular autumns here, so he should enjoy the colorful array of leaves if he is here in October!

~Am glad he got off okay, and hope that mom is doing well! Trust me, the time will pass quickly, and before you know it, you'll be picking him up at the airport and hearing about what a wonderful time he had!

Hang in there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top