U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2019, 01:04 PM

40,070 posts, read 26,744,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't do grits, though. I've tried them, and I just don't get the appeal, but I do know that the entire grit-eating world knows it takes 20 minutes to cook them because a guy from Jersey said so.
My Cousin Vinny!! Love that flick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 06:31 PM

13,358 posts, read 7,027,058 times
Hey, folks

I recently discovered the Love of God, and I accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior. I have seen the Truth and the Light, and it feels so incredibly amazing. God is Love. God never gave up on me. He saw the good in me even during my darkest moments of sin and detachment from God - through the depths of atheism and fear.

What do you think about wearing the Cross? I'm wearing an old golden Crucifix now that I've had tucked away since my early teenage years. For me, it's not simply about telling others of my faith. It's actually quite a personal subject - and when I started wearing a Crucifix to work last week, I was actually stepping out if my comfort zone. But I wear it constantly. I even west it to bed. So it's not for show at all. It's a personal token of my Love for and Belongingness to the Lord Everyone is different. Maybe some people don't need that, but I do. And God understands

Old 01-20-2019, 09:43 PM

25,824 posts, read 13,421,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Hey, folks

I recently discovered the Love of God, and I accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior. I have seen the Truth and the Light, and it feels so incredibly amazing. God is Love. God never gave up on me. He saw the good in me even during my darkest moments of sin and detachment from God - through the depths of atheism and fear.

What do you think about wearing the Cross? I'm wearing an old golden Crucifix now that I've had tucked away since my early teenage years. For me, it's not simply about telling others of my faith. It's actually quite a personal subject - and when I started wearing a Crucifix to work last week, I was actually stepping out if my comfort zone. But I wear it constantly. I even west it to bed. So it's not for show at all. It's a personal token of my Love for and Belongingness to the Lord Everyone is different. Maybe some people don't need that, but I do. And God understands
I'm glad you are feeling good about things.

I wore a crucifix blessed by Pope John XXIII for more than 20 years until it gradually wore away. Totems can be powerful.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm glad you are feeling good about things.

I wore a crucifix blessed by Pope John XXIII for more than 20 years until it gradually wore away. Totems can be powerful.
Thank you.

I really do it for spiritual strength, on a personal level. I don't do it to ward off Satan. Recently, I believe have been tested by God (and shown the Light), but also attacked by Satan. Regarding the latter, I understand the God has ultimate Power over Satan. In fact, Satan can do absolutely nothing to me or to anyone else that God does not allow. So why does God allow this? Well, I can understand perfectly now why He does. The most recent attack has really made me grow in faith and understanding, which is precisely what I believe God intended.

I was raised Catholic. It sounds like perhaps you were, as well? I visited your profile, and noticed your heritage is Ukrainian. I'm aware that there's a lot of Ukrainian heritage in Canada. And that's very interesting, because I'm Ukrainian on my mother's side (mostly Italian on my dad's side). My maternal grandparents belonged to the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Philadelphia. If you ride the PATCO train from South Jersey into Philadelphia across the Ben Franklin Bridge, you can actually briefly see the golden dome slightly north of the bridge, in Philadelphia. That golden dome is the Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral. It's a very beautiful church.

Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathed...(Philadelphia)

Of course, most of Ukraine is Orthodox - but my maternal grandmother was from Lviv and was raised Catholic. My maternal grandfather, from what I understand, was originally from central Ukraine. It would have made more sense if he was raised Orthodox, being from there, but perhaps he converted. In any event, I am told he was not very religious.

I read the Bible cover-to-cover when I was 12/13 and before I had the internet. I felt very close to God. Then I got the internet in late '03 or early '04 (age 13), and by the end of 2004 I had lost my faith in God. Discovering Traditionalist Catholicism was particularly damaging to my spirituality. And so for 14 years (early December 2004 to late December 2018), I was an atheist. Now, I am a born again follower of Christ.

In any event, I recognize this is a non-debate thread, so I won't discuss my thoughts on Catholicism or any other denomination. I just wanted to share a little more of my story.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:35 AM

56,087 posts, read 54,581,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Hey, folks

I don't wear a cross, although I have nothing against anyone who does, and I think some of them are quite beautiful. I gave my mom one for Christmas a few years ago made of lovely blue crystals. But people make judgments based on what they see, and I work in a multicultural setting. The cross has been used as a weapon against certain people in the past, and I am sensitive to the fact that it might be construed as a statement I don't want to make if I wear one, so I don't.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:53 AM

4,346 posts, read 1,357,734 times
Since this is sort of a free for all thread (with boundaries) I'm just going to put this here. It's a story my local paper did about me.

https://www.heraldbulletin.com/news/...ygyD_7qYjEuVSw

Old 01-27-2019, 10:09 AM

25,824 posts, read 13,421,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Since this is sort of a free for all thread (with boundaries) I'm just going to put this here. It's a story my local paper did about me.

Nice piece, Traci. Hopefully, it'll open a few local hearts and minds and have a positive ripple effect.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:25 AM

4,346 posts, read 1,357,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Nice piece, Traci. Hopefully, it'll open a few local hearts and minds and have a positive ripple effect.

Thank you TD <3 I hope so too.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:36 PM

I attended church services for the first time (volitionally) in ages. Went solo. I guess I struggle with social anxiety to some extent, as I sat in my car in the parking lot for a good 10 minutes before entering the church. Sat there as people pulled in behind me and next to me, sort of taking me out of my comfort zone. Yes, the Lord has been very gentile and patient with me--taking me out of my comfort zone one baby step at a time.

But it was good. It was very spiritually rewarding. This is what could be called an evangelical church. It was definitely a different experience from what I've experienced in Catholic masses. I appreciated the "contemporary" style of worship. Prior to the service, the pastor actually came up to me and introduced himself, apparently noticing my face as a new one. The preaching he gave, as was as the prayer he directed, honestly had me on the verge of tears. It found it SO pertinent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't wear a cross, although I have nothing against anyone who does, and I think some of them are quite beautiful. I gave my mom one for Christmas a few years ago made of lovely blue crystals. But people make judgments based on what they see, and I work in a multicultural setting. The cross has been used as a weapon against certain people in the past, and I am sensitive to the fact that it might be construed as a statement I don't want to make if I wear one, so I don't.
Yeah, I understand that. In fact, today in church, I actually worse my cross under my shirt. Really, it's for me. It's a constant reminder that the Lord is with me. That's what I want it to be for me. So I'm not opposed to simply wearing the cross under my shirt. But I'll never deny my faith!

Old 01-27-2019, 08:46 PM

56,087 posts, read 54,581,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post

The trait I think I admire most in a person is courage.

You are Courageous, my friend, and I am proud to know you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or