U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 07:28 PM

16,960 posts, read 8,075,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I prefer scuba-diving over that of amusement parks. Nature has a way of eliminating the noise and commotion of the world, giving you peace of mind and a time to reflect.
I KNEW you aren't ALL bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 07:41 PM

750 posts, read 404,699 times
Interesting that Jerwade mentioned Kauai, Hawaii--because that's where I was born. During the 1970s I relocated to Oahu because it presented more opportunities. As my spirituality includes Buddhism, I love the Valley of the Temples on the windward side of the island.

By the way, thanks, Jerwade, for posting the song "Signs" in my Palmistry thread. I know what you mean, that could be the Signature-song for Palmistry.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:47 PM

22,488 posts, read 10,512,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Interesting that Jerwade mentioned Kauai, Hawaii--because that's where I was born. During the 1970s I relocated to Oahu because it presented more opportunities. As my spirituality includes Buddhism, I love the Valley of the Temples on the windward side of the island.

By the way, thanks, Jerwade, for posting the song "Signs" in my Palmistry thread. I know what you mean, that could be the Signature-song for Palmistry.
I'm just an old hippie who wears boots, blue jeans and a cowboy hat.
Then, there comes the time for shorts, sandals and a mango daiquiri.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:53 PM

22,488 posts, read 10,512,316 times
Quote:
I prefer scuba-diving over that of amusement parks. Nature has a way of eliminating the noise and commotion of the world, giving you peace of mind and a time to reflect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I KNEW you aren't ALL bad
Thanks, Nate!

Old 01-28-2019, 10:40 PM

51 posts, read 7,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Welcome to the forum, 6 flags over Texas has always been better than Disneyworld, most people never even heard of Astroworld, but it was the best back in the day. Houston's Astroworld. We would go on Friday and not leave till Sunday, they closed the park at Midnight with fireworks every night, but we never left the park, we hid and napped where we couldn't be found.
Hi Hannibal Flavius,

Thanks for the welcome. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look out for any trip my dad might make to Texas and I'll ask to go along. But it's unlikely. He doesn't go to the US much.

Cheerio!

Old 01-28-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I have traveled quite a bit in the military and as a civilian to various parts of this planet. Some places were more enjoyable than others, but I always seem to come back home. Bernhard Henrik Crusell was a great Swedish-Finnish clarinetist and composer, so I can see why you currently enjoy playing the clarinet. One of my daughters also plays. Personally, I enjoy that of playing a twelve-string acoustic guitar.

Presently, I live in the mountains near the Grand Canyon in Northern Arizona, if I am not here, then I will be in Kauai, Hawaii. I prefer scuba-diving over that of amusement parks. Nature has a way of eliminating the noise and commotion of the world, giving you peace of mind and a time to reflect.

I have enjoyed reading from your perspective and hope you continue to post.
Hi Jerwade,

I always change my mind about things after some time. Just a year ago, I was head over heels in love with Mozart and would play every piece he wrote for the clarinet. Now it's Crusell. A couple of years ago, it was Spohr. I'm in my school orchestra and my conductor loves Crusell.

I love nature too. I love to go hiking in the mountains. Every summer, my dad and I will hike on some alpine trail in different parts of Europe. The most spectacular must be the Dolomites in Northern Italy. You feel like you're on another planet.

Thanks for the encouragement. My posts did not get a kind reception when I joined another Internet forum 3 years ago. On one thread, someone said the fact that there was objective morality proved the existence of God. I posted my view then that there was no such thing as objective morality. I was very young then and my view was not properly formed. The moderators said I was Satan-inspired and banned me from the site. It was a baptist forum and there were rules that you could not even question Calvinism. They didn't say anything about objective morality but I suppose if you can't question Calvinism, you can't question objective morality. Anyway, I'm a lot older and wiser now and my views are more well-thought out. And to read that you enjoyed reading my perspective goes quite a long way to warm the cockles of my heart.

Cheerio!

Old 01-29-2019, 08:45 AM

60,008 posts, read 57,416,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tithon View Post
Hi Jerwade,

I always change my mind about things after some time. Just a year ago, I was head over heels in love with Mozart and would play every piece he wrote for the clarinet. Now it's Crusell. A couple of years ago, it was Spohr. I'm in my school orchestra and my conductor loves Crusell.

I love nature too. I love to go hiking in the mountains. Every summer, my dad and I will hike on some alpine trail in different parts of Europe. The most spectacular must be the Dolomites in Northern Italy. You feel like you're on another planet.

Thanks for the encouragement. My posts did not get a kind reception when I joined another Internet forum 3 years ago. On one thread, someone said the fact that there was objective morality proved the existence of God. I posted my view then that there was no such thing as objective morality. I was very young then and my view was not properly formed. The moderators said I was Satan-inspired and banned me from the site. It was a baptist forum and there were rules that you could not even question Calvinism. They didn't say anything about objective morality but I suppose if you can't question Calvinism, you can't question objective morality. Anyway, I'm a lot older and wiser now and my views are more well-thought out. And to read that you enjoyed reading my perspective goes quite a long way to warm the cockles of my heart.

Cheerio!
Glad you found us, tithon. This is a forum about Christianity, but there are no rules about who may or may not claim to be a Christian. We come in all flavors of Christianity here, as well as those who do not identify as Christians at all.

You play the clarinet, eh? I know someone else on here who might find that interesting...

Old 01-29-2019, 09:18 AM

12,018 posts, read 11,462,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Glad you found us, tithon. This is a forum about Christianity, but there are no rules about who may or may not claim to be a Christian. We come in all flavors of Christianity here, as well as those who do not identify as Christians at all.

You play the clarinet, eh? I know someone else on here who might find that interesting...
That would be me. My wife and I bought my granddaughter a clarinet for Christmas just over a year ago. It came with the condition that she show up at our house for an hour's lesson every week. She's learning at her own pace, so she has learned about as much in this year as most students learn in 5-6 years.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Hi Mightyqueen801,

Thanks! I'm glad I found this forum. I suppose if my church, its archbishops, bishops and clergy accept me as a Christian, it's hard for anyone to say I'm not. But it happened in that other website. You have to fit their very narrow definition of Christianity. You've got to be a Calvinist and I'm not even sure what that means. The first time I was asked if I was a Calvinist, I replied that I wasn't. I was a Christian, I said. Haha. I hadn't even heard of a Calvinist then.

Yes, I love playing the clarinet. I was in the boys' choir until my voice broke and then when my voice returned, I joined the seniors' choir but although I'm tenor, I don't feel very confident as a tenor. I was a very good boy soprano and it's very painful to lose that ability forever. I was very confident as a soprano and I could sing the Queen of the Night's aria (from Mozart's Magic Flute). It was very sad to look at my old score sheets for the piece. There was the pencil marking in my old handwriting 'Cackle' where the 'cackling' was to begin.

I like the clarinet because it's not so uncertain as the human voice. You don't lose it the way I lost my voice. Whether you are a boy or an aged man of 70, your voice is always the same on the clarinet.

Cheerio!

Old 01-29-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That would be me. My wife and I bought my granddaughter a clarinet for Christmas just over a year ago. It came with the condition that she show up at our house for an hour's lesson every week. She's learning at her own pace, so she has learned about as much in this year as most students learn in 5-6 years.
Hi mensaguy,

Wow! You must be a great teacher. I found the clarinet quite tough when I started playing it. Just holding it up hurt my right thumb. My teacher insisted that I should use a real clarinet which was a bad idea because it was so heavy. And making a sound was so hard. I didn't think I would be able to play it. But I persevered because I simply loved the sound of the clarinet. They say Mozart loved it too and he said it was the closest to the human voice. And much later, when I lost my voice and had to leave the choir in church to wait for my new voice to appear, I wanted something that was like the human voice that I lost and I played my clarinet as much as I could. I would play the Queen of the Night's aria on my clarinet and it sounded just as good as the voice.

Cheerio!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or