U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-29-2019, 07:21 PM
 
40,084 posts, read 26,750,404 times
Reputation: 6050

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Are you referring to the Church of Shambhala in India? Because they believe that the latest Maitreya is the latest Reincarnation of both Jesus Christ and Buddha.
Although I believe in reincarnation, this is the first time I've seen it applied to Jesus Christ.
I am not a believer in reincarnation. I believe in spiritual evolution. The physical body is just a vessel within which our embryo Spirits reside at varying stages of evolution. Buddha came close to Maitri but Jesus achieved perfection and is the gateway to God for our entire species, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-29-2019, 07:29 PM
 
51 posts, read 6,723 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
City-Data exists to provide demographic information. These discussion forums are incidental to the site. Forums focused on one particular kind of Christianity or focused on the owner's personal views are likely to have different requirements than we do here.

I recall somebody saying that CARM bans people who present views divergent from the owner's, and christianforums has particular requirements. I'm sure others do too. There are dozens of forums out there where nothing but Christian religion is discussed.
Hi mensaguy,

Yes, some forums are very strict on what you can say. The one I was banned from was really furious with me. The moderator who banned me sent me a message that was like an exorcism rite. He said 'We bind Satan and his demons that dwell in you in the name of Jesus.' He ended his message with 'Get thee behind me, Satan!' I was quite amused because that's what Jesus said to St Peter. I don't think he thought of me as St Peter.

I was quite amused by the whole thing but it would have been scary if he were my dad. I can't imagine living with such a person. He sounded as if he really thought I was possessed by the devil.

Cheerio!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2019, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,107 posts, read 54,597,263 times
Reputation: 66501
Quote:
Originally Posted by tithon View Post
Hi nateswift,

It's OK. Tithonus is the correct name of the mythological figure I picked for my Forum name. Tithon is the Anglicised form of the poem that Tennyson originally wrote before it was later changed to Tithonus.

My church is extremely accommodating. The Archbishop of Canterbury once said that you don't have to believe in the Virgin Birth. Probably he was thinking of the Alma-Parthenos mistranslation that led to the Virgin Birth. But I know how to be careful with people who are insistent on a particular doctrine. My aunt who lives in the US is a fundamentalist. When she sees me, she will always ask if I have come to 'the saving knowledge of Jesus' yet. I will always tell her 'In God's good time' and she seems very pleased with that. She believes that if I say that, God will send his 'saving knowledge' into me.

I know people who are dogmatic don't mean to be intrusive. They believe it's good for the people they come down hard on. Their intention is probably pure.

Cheerio!
A very diplomatic way for your to continue to maintain a good relationship with your aunt.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2019, 09:35 PM
 
51 posts, read 6,723 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A very diplomatic way for your to continue to maintain a good relationship with your aunt.
Hi Mightyqueen801,

Like most fundamentalists, she is sincere in her beliefs. She actually believes that I am going to hell to burn for all eternity. Not just me but the entire clergy in my church. She thinks the Archbishop of Canterbury is a servant of Satan and is taking all of us including the Queen to hell. She genuinely believes that's the truth.

So, when she talks about saving knowledge, she really wants to save me from hell. She took me to her church once. The priest wore a jacket like a normal layperson. She calls the surplice the devil's cloak. They serve the Sacrament by passing it round on a plate to all the parishioners. They don't use wafers but some kind of a biscuit that looked quite messy all crushed on a plate. She told me not to take any because I'm not 'one of God's Elect' and I was glad I didn't have to take it. It didn't look hygienic. After that, they passed round another plate that contained tiny glasses. My aunt said it was grape juice and not wine. She said Jesus drank grape juice and not wine. He was not an alcoholic. She said my church used wine because the priests were alcoholics. And she said it was just a symbol but my church did 'funny things' as if they magically became something special.

I find everything quite intriguing. She could only take me out because most people like my parents can't stand her company. Most people are not very tolerant. Maybe because she's intrusive. She will tell you you are wrong and only her religion is right. If she joins this forum, she will have a lot to say about everyone's beliefs. She uses strong words too. She's very quick to call you demonic or Satanic. She always tells me that if I joined her church I would make Satan very unhappy. When she asks me when I will do it, I tell her I will wait for God's calling. Once she tried to press me to give an answer and I told her that maybe God didn't call me into his 'elect' party. She then said, 'Yes, God has to call you. I'll pray that he will call you but it's his will who he wants to save'. Phew. Every time she asks me, I will just say God hasn't called me and I can't join her church.

Cheerio!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2019, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
16,286 posts, read 7,659,774 times
Reputation: 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I'm 44 today.
Happy birthday kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2019, 03:38 AM
 
20,414 posts, read 9,834,499 times
Reputation: 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Good grief, spellcheck added ss to NICENE I gotta learn to check more.
That's alright, you are rather pleasant most of the time. (NICENESS)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2019, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,107 posts, read 54,597,263 times
Reputation: 66501
Quote:
Originally Posted by tithon View Post
Hi Mightyqueen801,

Like most fundamentalists, she is sincere in her beliefs. She actually believes that I am going to hell to burn for all eternity. Not just me but the entire clergy in my church. She thinks the Archbishop of Canterbury is a servant of Satan and is taking all of us including the Queen to hell. She genuinely believes that's the truth.

So, when she talks about saving knowledge, she really wants to save me from hell. She took me to her church once. The priest wore a jacket like a normal layperson. She calls the surplice the devil's cloak. They serve the Sacrament by passing it round on a plate to all the parishioners. They don't use wafers but some kind of a biscuit that looked quite messy all crushed on a plate. She told me not to take any because I'm not 'one of God's Elect' and I was glad I didn't have to take it. It didn't look hygienic. After that, they passed round another plate that contained tiny glasses. My aunt said it was grape juice and not wine. She said Jesus drank grape juice and not wine. He was not an alcoholic. She said my church used wine because the priests were alcoholics. And she said it was just a symbol but my church did 'funny things' as if they magically became something special.

I find everything quite intriguing. She could only take me out because most people like my parents can't stand her company. Most people are not very tolerant. Maybe because she's intrusive. She will tell you you are wrong and only her religion is right. If she joins this forum, she will have a lot to say about everyone's beliefs. She uses strong words too. She's very quick to call you demonic or Satanic. She always tells me that if I joined her church I would make Satan very unhappy. When she asks me when I will do it, I tell her I will wait for God's calling. Once she tried to press me to give an answer and I told her that maybe God didn't call me into his 'elect' party. She then said, 'Yes, God has to call you. I'll pray that he will call you but it's his will who he wants to save'. Phew. Every time she asks me, I will just say God hasn't called me and I can't join her church.

Cheerio!
I have an uncle like that. He became born-again about twenty-five years ago, and now he knows Jesus better than anybody else.

I belong to an Episcopal Church, which is the descendant of the Church of England in the USA, so the Archbiship of Canterbury is the titular head of my church as well under the Anglican Communion.

My uncle also is sure everyone in my church is going to hell. I grew up in the Reformed Church, a Calvinistic sect that came out of the Dutch church, and I used to win prizes for learning bible verses, etc., so I can match him with quotes when he gets going. We get along OK, but I don't see him often. He just occasionally warns me about the "doctrines" of my church.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2019, 09:39 PM
 
51 posts, read 6,723 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have an uncle like that. He became born-again about twenty-five years ago, and now he knows Jesus better than anybody else.

I belong to an Episcopal Church, which is the descendant of the Church of England in the USA, so the Archbiship of Canterbury is the titular head of my church as well under the Anglican Communion.

My uncle also is sure everyone in my church is going to hell. I grew up in the Reformed Church, a Calvinistic sect that came out of the Dutch church, and I used to win prizes for learning bible verses, etc., so I can match him with quotes when he gets going. We get along OK, but I don't see him often. He just occasionally warns me about the "doctrines" of my church.
Hi Mightyqueen801,

I've not heard of the Episcopal Church as a separate group. Aren't all churches episcopal? The Queen is actually the head of the church. The Archbishop of Canterbury is more the spiritual leader. I've seen the prayer books in churches in Asia and they have prayers for the Queen because they use our prayer books. But they change it when they read it out to their own monarchs. I would imagine the prayer books in America won't mention the Queen for historical reasons. It would be treason. But in Canada, the Queen is still the head since they are a part of the Commonwealth. I don't know what it's like in American churches. People on this forum say the American flag is placed in the church. I've never seen flags in churches. The only time I was in America, I was busy going on a million rides in Disney World and going to church was the last thing on my mind.

Your uncle sounds exactly like my aunt. But they mean well. If you really believe someone is going to burn for all eternity, you are sure to bug them a lot to escape the furnace.

Cheerio!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2019, 11:20 AM
 
603 posts, read 356,548 times
Reputation: 409
From what I read, Tithon's Aunt has the earmarks of being a typical Jehovah's Witness. Because the Jehovah's Witnesses believe that their way is the only true way. And they are relentless in their efforts to proselytize. My Aunt who died in the 1970's was a Jehovah's Witness till the very end, although she became a Jehovah's Witness when she was already middle-aged. I don't know how long Tithon's Aunt has been a Jehovah's Witness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2019, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,107 posts, read 54,597,263 times
Reputation: 66501
Quote:
Originally Posted by tithon View Post
Hi Mightyqueen801,

I've not heard of the Episcopal Church as a separate group. Aren't all churches episcopal? The Queen is actually the head of the church. The Archbishop of Canterbury is more the spiritual leader. I've seen the prayer books in churches in Asia and they have prayers for the Queen because they use our prayer books. But they change it when they read it out to their own monarchs. I would imagine the prayer books in America won't mention the Queen for historical reasons. It would be treason. But in Canada, the Queen is still the head since they are a part of the Commonwealth. I don't know what it's like in American churches. People on this forum say the American flag is placed in the church. I've never seen flags in churches. The only time I was in America, I was busy going on a million rides in Disney World and going to church was the last thing on my mind.

Your uncle sounds exactly like my aunt. But they mean well. If you really believe someone is going to burn for all eternity, you are sure to bug them a lot to escape the furnace.

Cheerio!
Short version, the Episcopal Church of the United States of America was originally just part of the Church of England up until the American Revolution. To be ordained, a bishop had to swear allegiance to the King of England, and they weren't going to do that. A Scottish bishop came to the US and ordained a bishop who then could in turn ordain others. Hence the term, "Episcopal" in the church name. Episcopal just means "run by bishops".

There is a pre-revolutionary Episcopal Church about a mile from me that was started by the Church of England's Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Lands. They have a Vinegar Bible and a chalice and paten that were gifts from Queen Anne. (I've also seen the original deed for the purchase of the property on which the church is built from a local Indian tribe in 1702. Pretty amazing to look at.)

For the past twenty years, the Rector has been a woman. Bet the members of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Lands are spinning in their old pine coffins over that one.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top