U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 07:32 PM

55,659 posts, read 74,595,623 times

Advertisements

Good news I got the medical appointment for mom and approval by insurance of all the tests
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 08:21 PM

55,659 posts, read 74,595,623 times
Good news I got the medical appointment for mom and approval by insurance of all the tests

Old 01-31-2019, 08:28 PM

25,786 posts, read 13,404,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
That's nice.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:35 PM

51 posts, read 6,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Short version, the Episcopal Church of the United States of America was originally just part of the Church of England up until the American Revolution. To be ordained, a bishop had to swear allegiance to the King of England, and they weren't going to do that. A Scottish bishop came to the US and ordained a bishop who then could in turn ordain others. Hence the term, "Episcopal" in the church name. Episcopal just means "run by bishops".

There is a pre-revolutionary Episcopal Church about a mile from me that was started by the Church of England's Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Lands. They have a Vinegar Bible and a chalice and paten that were gifts from Queen Anne. (I've also seen the original deed for the purchase of the property on which the church is built from a local Indian tribe in 1702. Pretty amazing to look at.)

For the past twenty years, the Rector has been a woman. Bet the members of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Lands are spinning in their old pine coffins over that one.
A woman rector is quite acceptable today. It's women and girls in the choir that are still forbidden in some churches. Many churches today have a parallel mixed choir or girls' choir but they are there just to assure people of equality. But for important functions, it's always still the boys' choir only. But that has nothing to do with gender discrimination. It's the the timbre in the voice that the church wants.

Wow, I didn't know they had deeds for the purchase of land from Indian tribes. I thought they just shot at the tribes and stole the land from them. Haha.

Cheerio!

Old 02-01-2019, 07:32 AM

56,021 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tithon View Post
A woman rector is quite acceptable today. It's women and girls in the choir that are still forbidden in some churches. Many churches today have a parallel mixed choir or girls' choir but they are there just to assure people of equality. But for important functions, it's always still the boys' choir only. But that has nothing to do with gender discrimination. It's the the timbre in the voice that the church wants.

Wow, I didn't know they had deeds for the purchase of land from Indian tribes. I thought they just shot at the tribes and stole the land from them. Haha.

Cheerio!
Really, now that's something I didn't know (about the choirs).

As always with history, it's never as black and white as the books and movies try to make it seem. In those early colonial times, there still were relatively few Europeans living on the east coast in colonies like New Jersey and plenty of space and resources for all to share. The earliest Europeans in Monmouth County, where I live, interacted with the local aboriginal people peacefully and in fact bought a lot of land from them. Many of the town names, as well as geographic features like the Navesink River/Bay, still bear Lenape names. (The town where I live, however, bears the name of a much-older town on the Welsh marches in western England )

Eventually as the European population grew, the Lenape were either assimilated or driven to Canada or out into the American western states.

Oddly enough, some were driven TO New Jersey from other areas. While it's well known that Cherokee were driven out of Georgia and into the west, a small band of Cherokee from Georgia came to Monmouth County in the late 1700s and were successful in establishing a life for themselves. They ran a gristmill on a small waterfall about two miles from where I live, and they also established themselves in nearby Asbury Park on land that included a large hill of sand and became known as the Sand Hill Indians. Their descendants are still in the area. When I had to do physical therapy after a back injury three years ago, one of the PTs was a card-carrying member of the Sand Hill tribe.

As a matter of fact, St. Augustine Episcopal Church in Asbury Park was built by a Sand Hill family in the 1800s, so they are also part of the Anglican Communion. The parish is mostly native and African-American today.

Here Endeth The History Lesson.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:05 AM

51 posts, read 6,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Really, now that's something I didn't know (about the choirs).

As always with history, it's never as black and white as the books and movies try to make it seem. In those early colonial times, there still were relatively few Europeans living on the east coast in colonies like New Jersey and plenty of space and resources for all to share. The earliest Europeans in Monmouth County, where I live, interacted with the local aboriginal people peacefully and in fact bought a lot of land from them. Many of the town names, as well as geographic features like the Navesink River/Bay, still bear Lenape names. (The town where I live, however, bears the name of a much-older town on the Welsh marches in western England )

Eventually as the European population grew, the Lenape were either assimilated or driven to Canada or out into the American western states.

Oddly enough, some were driven TO New Jersey from other areas. While it's well known that Cherokee were driven out of Georgia and into the west, a small band of Cherokee from Georgia came to Monmouth County in the late 1700s and were successful in establishing a life for themselves. They ran a gristmill on a small waterfall about two miles from where I live, and they also established themselves in nearby Asbury Park on land that included a large hill of sand and became known as the Sand Hill Indians. Their descendants are still in the area. When I had to do physical therapy after a back injury three years ago, one of the PTs was a card-carrying member of the Sand Hill tribe.

As a matter of fact, St. Augustine Episcopal Church in Asbury Park was built by a Sand Hill family in the 1800s, so they are also part of the Anglican Communion. The parish is mostly native and African-American today.

Here Endeth The History Lesson.
Thanks. That was fascinating and quite educational.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:48 AM

4,342 posts, read 1,355,446 times
I'm going into the hospital in a few hours to have a kidney stone removed. I'll be away for awhile while I recover. Happy thoughts, prayers, crossed fingers/eyes/toes, lit candles, lit incense (because hospitals smell funny) would be appreciated. I'll be back when I can.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:25 AM

56,021 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I'm going into the hospital in a few hours to have a kidney stone removed. I'll be away for awhile while I recover. Happy thoughts, prayers, crossed fingers/eyes/toes, lit candles, lit incense (because hospitals smell funny) would be appreciated. I'll be back when I can.
I've got lots of incense and a Reiki-charged healing candle, too. I'll light it for you.

You know where to find me if you don't want to come here. I hope it all goes smoothly.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:13 AM

25,786 posts, read 13,404,281 times
I hope this trouble will soon pass, geeki.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:11 PM

15,906 posts, read 8,166,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Holding happy thoughts, crossed arms and essential oils for your aromatic, quick and easy recovery and renewed health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or