U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 01:24 PM

13,570 posts, read 21,710,437 times

Advertisements

What is everyone doing this 4th of July weekend?

I hope that whatever it is that you all have a wonderful time with those cookouts, picnics and beach parties..Those are my favorite 4th pastimes, but this weekend we will be hanging out at home and I will have my great big bunch of family here for a cookout tomorrow evening..We usually have our own fireworks as it is quite a trip to travel to see a really good display..
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 02:07 PM

7,811 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post

What is everyone doing this 4th of July weekend?
In order to importance, June shall be doing the following:

1- Resting, sleep
2- More of #2, above
3- Catching up on the reading she's been wanting to do.
4- Going out tonight.

And best of all?

4- June's son, "Little June" is AWAY for the whole, entire weekend! Yeehah! Not that June doesn't love her little Spud boy, but let's face it: Having the whole entire house to oneself for the weekend? Can't beat it! (P.S. June has a "very eligible bachelor son" that she is more than willing to either auction off, or find a suitable young lady for. Don't be shy in applying, ladies! Having these 23 year old grown up kids move back in is, well, you get June's drift...)

5- Fireworks. The bain of June's existence every Fourth of July. Now don't get June wrong: She personally gets a real charge out of fireworks, but her little dog does not. --And although people are not allowed to set off their own fireworks, there are those in June's neighborhood who do so, anyway. So June will be sleeping/resting up in order to contend with a 5 pound Shih Tzu that just FREAKS OUT BIG TIME and all but becomes psychotic at the first (even most remote) sound of fireworks. Doggie valium doesn't work on him.

That's June's "big exciting weekend."

What about everyone else?

Take gentle Fourth care!

Last edited by june 7th; 07-03-2010 at 09:19 AM..

Old 07-02-2010, 09:54 PM

21,188 posts, read 20,991,220 times
Our community is having a party on Sunday - so I'm all excited! We just moved here in April - and I have already met and become friendly with a bunch of my neighbors! This is a chance for me to meet more of them! I really love our little lake community - everyone has been so nice.
It's a pot luck and I LOVE to cook - but I haven't decided what to bring yet. Based on the first letter of my last name - I'm supposed to bring a side dish. I'm really better at desserts but I'm thinking of making homemade mac and cheese. And maybe I'll make a dessert, too - just for kicks!
Also, I'm excited that the 4th falls on a Sunday - which means my husband will get home from work around 7 and the party starts at 6:30 - so he'll actually be able to come and meet everyone, too! He works in the theatre (we both do - I'm just usually unemployed!) so he works when everyone else is off and vice versa.
Anyway - I'm super excited and I hope it turns out well!

Hope everyone else has a great weekend!

Old 07-03-2010, 11:52 AM

823 posts, read 1,120,565 times
We have a lovely little cabin on the lake in the Cariboo Region of British Columbia, CANADA. We will hopefully be sitting in the sun on our Adirondack chairs - Just Celebrated Canada Day yesterday!

Old 07-03-2010, 11:57 AM

823 posts, read 1,120,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
I am feeling extremely blessed today Woo Hoo Deutschland - FIFA 2010 World Cup

I was praying to God for him to protect Germany's goal today....I have to wonder how many people are praying to God during the FIFA World Cup ???
Still feeling extremely blessed as Germany is going strong into the Semi's I was praying to God to protect Germany's net

Old 07-03-2010, 12:09 PM

Default Boring June update:

June has to get her little "just June" butt in gear, and hit the grocery store. She invited some friends over for dinner tomorrow (making the ONLY thing that June knows for a fact won't poison people: homemade soup and bread) and so has to go and purchase all the ingredients....Then come home and clean the house a bit. June loves her friends, but is now wondering to herself: "What was June thinking?" She's feeling lazy, and not wanting to shop, let alone come back home and clean.

Silly June.

However, no fireworks, as yet, to offset the little dog, so June's counting her "atheist blessings!"

Ho hum...

Old 07-03-2010, 01:28 PM

21,188 posts, read 20,991,220 times
I had people over last night - and even though I tried to take it easy - I still cooked a feast! Since I am the messiest cook ever (my hubby says it always looks like a tornado hit the kitchen after I've been cooking), I had a HUGE mess to clean up afterward! So, today, I am exhausted! I had such a wonderful evening last night, though - so it was worth it! But now I'm trying to get myself motivated to go on a run, go to the store, and tidy up the house - just like June! Maybe it's just a lazy Saturday...

Old 07-03-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
.....But now I'm trying to get myself motivated to go on a run, go to the store, and tidy up the house - just like June! Maybe it's just a lazy Saturday...

TELL JUNE ABOUT IT!!! (The "lazy Saturday" part.) It's now going on nearly 4:00, and about the only head-way the June has made was to clean off the kitchen table (debris, debris, debris!) as well as thus far install two window air conditioners. (For those of us who own "New Englandy" homes and would never go to the expense of paying to install central air, there you have it....We'd have to be NUTS!) But the June just discovered that she's stronger than she thought....Lugging what had to be a two ton air conditioner from the basement into the family room. (Isn't this what I've got a "Little June" for, who mercifully is away all weekend?)

So now it's on to the shopping...Kill me, just kill me. Doubtfully, there are few members still here who remember the good old days, when it was revealed that June can only "cook coffee." --Trust June, it's no joke. June envies you, Dewdrop, along with any others out there who not only know how to cook, but actually enjoy doing so. For June, it's tantamount to a lab experiment, at best...So she has no recourse but to make for her company tomorrow "the ONLY" meal that has ever gone over well, or been raved about...In short, June thinks she's probably lost her mind. She's simply not good at this sort of thing, despite her loving to entertain and have people over. For wine. And cheese. Only.

--But to actually cook?

God help me....

Old 07-03-2010, 02:53 PM

5,499 posts, read 4,571,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
TELL JUNE ABOUT IT!!! (The "lazy Saturday" part.) It's now going on nearly 4:00, and about the only head-way the June has made was to clean off the kitchen table (debris, debris, debris!) as well as thus far install two window air conditioners. (For those of us who own "New Englandy" homes and would never go to the expense of paying to install central air, there you have it....We'd have to be NUTS!) But the June just discovered that she's stronger than she thought....Lugging what had to be a two ton air conditioner from the basement into the family room. (Isn't this what I've got a "Little June" for, who mercifully is away all weekend?)

So now it's on to the shopping...Kill me, just kill me. Doubtfully, there are few members still here who remember the good old days, when it was revealed that June can only "cook coffee." --Trust June, it's no joke. June envies you, Dewdrop, along with any others out there who not only know how to cook, but actually enjoy doing so. For June, it's tantamount to a lab experiment, at best...So she has no recourse but to make for her company tomorrow "the ONLY" meal that has ever gone over well, or been raved about...In short, June thinks she's probably lost her mind. She's simply not good at this sort of thing, despite her loving to entertain and have people over. For wine. And cheese. Only.

--But to actually cook?

God help me....
June I have a recipe for you and others who want to serve scrumptious as well as sumptuous meal without really knowing how to cook and avoid the MESS...LOL!

"Chicken Rice"

4 pieces Boneless chicken breasts (large)
1 Campbell cream of celery soup
1 Campbell cream of mushroom soup
1 Campbell French onion soup
1/2 cup real Asian rice (maybe Jasmine...uncle Ben's would probably do,but...)
1 stick butter
and lots of shredded cheddar cheese (amount depends on you)

Soak rice for about 1 hour or until soften
then spread evenly on a rectangle 8x??? baking pan (Pyrex is preferable)
lay the chicken breasts evenly on top
spread the soups one by one evenly to cover the surface and chicken
preheat oven to 350-375

THEN COOK WITHOUT MESS for 1 1/2 hours or until the rice is cooked!

after 45 minutes, turn the chicken over...then just pour the slightly melted butter evenly on top.

When done, sprinkle the shredded cheese and allow to melt before taking out and serving...delicious without effort

NOW, DOESN'T IT SOUND SO EASY? HAVE FUN!

Old 07-03-2010, 02:58 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,489,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

--But to actually cook?

God help me....
I HATE to cook, also. When I met my husband (loves to cook) I had to ask him how to cook hot-dogs.

His mom is a very experienced cook and can whip up the most delicious stuff in minutes, practically, so I have since learned the art, and I can make some pretty decent food, but I STILL hate to cook. I don't really know why.

I can sympathize with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or