U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 10:38 PM

823 posts, read 1,120,565 times

Advertisements

Hi June, I actually read your post last night before I went to bed but could not respond. It was kind of ironic actually because I had just come home from an intervention for my ex-husband who is an alcoholic and is pretty much at rock bottom. We have been apart for many, many years and my eldest son asked if I would go. It was quite an emotional evening and I know it was hard on my son. I know that your circumstance is not a similar comparison but addiction is a very real and hard thing to deal with.

Its not only the habits but the physical symptoms one has to endure. My Mom quit a few years ago June....she did it cold turkey. She really surprised me and I am very proud of her.

Do you know what we suggested for my ex-husband last night. Get A Calendar with some bright coloured stars and hang it right in your office there Every day that you get through without one....put up a star... you might not want to break the pattern when you see a few stars in a row.

JUNE - YOU CAN DO THIS !!! Remember: If God wanted us to smoke he would have given us a separate hole for it

Here are a couple of inspirational quotes for you:

"Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever." ~ Anonymous

Possibly Lance Armstrong said this to do with cycling. But it's a great quote to help quit smoking, because exactly as it's written, if you follow it, it is 100% true.

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." ~ Dolly Parton

Thus as an analogy for quitting smoking - run through the rainy bits, mind the potholes and keep your eye on the road ahead, and you'll reach your goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 10:53 PM

5,499 posts, read 4,571,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post

(if you end up feeling like this~~~~~>>>>>>> , we will understand.)
I smoke too Herefornow (after a meal or when stressed)...but stopped worrying about how to quit after I watched a show where two sets of lungs on a tray was presented by Oprah and Dr. Oz. One set was healthy and the other...of course...was the smoker's lungs (horrible!)...but both were lungs of the dead.

I did modify a few things though:
1) My house became smoke-free (I have to go outside)
2) Stopped eating too much...except for the essential 3 healthy meals a day.
3) I Thanked God that public and work places now prohibit smoking...mean it!
4) And I jog, brisk walk for 1-2 hours everyday.

And truly pray for June's success in quitting...I admire her!

For me, 8 to 12 sticks of cigarettes a day is something I can live with.

When the time comes that our surroundings become free of smog and any harmful elements that truly harm the air we breath and the only thing that is left is my smoking...then, I promise...I'll definitely quit...

I was reluctant to post this for fear of being berated (because I won't quit, and didn't want to hamper June's desire to kick the habit)...yet, keeping mum and giving a thumbs up for Junes fight seemed hypocritical of me...

Don't follow my example June...smoking is a terrible addiction!

Peace!

Old 09-24-2010, 01:18 AM

3,381 posts, read 3,489,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I smoke too Herefornow (after a meal or when stressed)...but stopped worrying about how to quit after I watched a show where two sets of lungs on a tray was presented by Oprah and Dr. Oz. One set was healthy and the other...of course...was the smoker's lungs (horrible!)...but both were lungs of the dead.

I did modify a few things though:
1) My house became smoke-free (I have to go outside)
2) Stopped eating too much...except for the essential 3 healthy meals a day.
3) I Thanked God that public and work places now prohibit smoking...mean it!
4) And I jog, brisk walk for 1-2 hours everyday.

And truly pray for June's success in quitting...I admire her!

For me, 8 to 12 sticks of cigarettes a day is something I can live with.

When the time comes that our surroundings become free of smog and any harmful elements that truly harm the air we breath and the only thing that is left is my smoking...then, I promise...I'll definitely quit...

I was reluctant to post this for fear of being berated (because I won't quit, and didn't want to hamper June's desire to kick the habit)...yet, keeping mum and giving a thumbs up for Junes fight seemed hypocritical of me...

Don't follow my example June...smoking is a terrible addiction!

Peace!

I really don't know what to think, to tell you the truth. My uncle smokes a pack a day, he's in his 70s, he doesn't have the slightest cough or wheeze, and he walks back and forth to the store every day, as he doesn't have a vehicle; last I checked, anyway~4 years ago. I don't know what to say about that.

Genes?

(boy, these smilies are fun. I hope they aren't too annoying. )

Old 09-24-2010, 01:35 AM

5,499 posts, read 4,571,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post

I really don't know what to think, to tell you the truth. My uncle smokes a pack a day, he's in his 70s, he doesn't have the slightest cough or wheeze, and he walks back and forth to the store every day, as he doesn't have a vehicle; last I checked, anyway~4 years ago. I don't know what to say about that.

Genes?

(boy, these smilies are fun. I hope they aren't too annoying. )
Your uncle reminds me of George Burns...rest his soul! I think the smileys are so much fun too...

Old 09-24-2010, 04:19 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,847,658 times
Now that i am back on C-D, I first see all your cute dogs. Who wouldn't love dogs after seeing all that! They are all so sweet!

Then I see June's plea re smoking and all the other responses. June, I pray for your success and freedom! You will do it. From what you have written, you certainly have the impetus! We're all behind you!

I don't remember my grandparents smoking, but in the back of my mind, i think my grandfathers used tobacco some way. I'll have to ask my siblings. By the time I was born, my parents had permanently quit, and Father was a preacher -- at a church that would not allow smoking. My brothers have smoked off and on, my oldest sister used medicinal Mary Jo and probably still does, but my youngest sister and I, while we smoked a little as teens, never acquired the habit. Neither of my spouses smoke(d). So I have no idea what it's like.

But my point is that we created other habits. Believe me, I have habits I fight -- habits i work on. My habits just aren't so obvious!

Regarding loving people on a forum like this, I understand! Boy, do I. I used to be on a forum called Crosswalk, but they kicked me off. I loved those people -- even the guy who kicked me off. I miss them, too. . . .

And then I came here and gave my cyber-heart away again. But I doubt people will kick me off here.

I hope.

I'm pretty sure, though.

Last edited by VelcroQueen; 09-24-2010 at 04:42 AM..

Old 09-24-2010, 01:13 PM

7,811 posts, read 10,700,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
It was quite an emotional evening and I know it was hard on my son. I know that your circumstance is not a similar comparison but addiction is a very real and hard thing to deal with.
Thanks for your support, SisterKat! Sorry to hear that you and your son had to go through an intervention....They are never pleasant, but hopefully your ex-husband got the point! You are correct that additions are very difficult to deal with. As a matter of fact, when we were doing "rounds" this week for the Addiction's Program at work, someone brought the idea of introducing smoking into the groups we run. (June doesn't think they know that June is a smoker, but she wanted to "turn herself in" as being a hypocrite~!!!)

June: Hypocrite shrink.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post

medicinal Mary Jo

Hmmm...Now there's an idea that June hadn't thought of...!

~Actually, as much as June hates pot, she'll probably be a "stoner" by this time next week!

But hey, at least she'd still be able to smoke....

Old 09-24-2010, 01:33 PM

5,090 posts, read 8,062,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Hmmm...Now there's an idea that June hadn't thought of...!

~Actually, as much as June hates pot, she'll probably be a "stoner" by this time next week!

But hey, at least she'd still be able to smoke....

You might want to consider a vaporizer for that.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
You might want to consider a vaporizer for that.
LOL! Fear not: June would rather suffer through the withdrawal from tobacco and nicotine than find herself smoking pot and being stoned!

Old 09-24-2010, 03:25 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,489,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
LOL! Fear not: June would rather suffer through the withdrawal from tobacco and nicotine than find herself smoking pot and being stoned!
A stoned psychiatrist?? Hee, hee.

I'm actually getting a Green Card for myself. I have cervical stenosis (narrowing of the spinal cord in the neck), spurs on my neck, discs that are collapsing, reversal of the normal spine curvature, and no insurance. My lower back is starting to pinch, it's causing spasms in my legs, and it's making it difficult to sit upright, but I don't have the money to do an MRI of the lower back, so I don't know what's going on in my lower spine. I just filed bankruptcy on all of my medical bills. The pain is intolerable, and I'm tired of taking the pharmaceutical company's drugs.

I say, why in the world is pot illegal for medicinal reasons in so many places?? And, why do the feds even care? Are they protecting the big drug companies? The pharmaceutical companies make BILLIONS off of their man-made drugs, which, in the long run, do a LOT more damage physically, than MJ!! I watched my mom die after taking big pharma's drugs for years. I remember when she started. I tried to get her to stop taking them , but she was just so scared and so full of anxiety, she couldn't stop. Every nasty drug she took gave her a nasty side effect, which meant she had to take MORE of their nasty drugs. In the end, she was spending all morning, practically, just taking drugs.

It's all about the money, I guess.

I haven't smoked in over 15 years, and I feel horrible doing it now, but I just can't take it any more. I don't want to be stoned, either. I just want to be rid of this pain. It is driving me over the edge. I'm trying to figure out where I can get regular, 1960s, kind of plants. I hear the plants they grow now are very potent. I don't want to be floating around in some dream world. I just want to be able to relax for 5 seconds.

I'm so ashamed.

(If I get arrested, I guess I'll get insurance in jail. The system is so broken. Sigh. Bail me out, June??)

P.S. I remember taking care of some men at the VA who had cancer. I just KNEW this one guy had to be smoking. He was the only one who was always relaxed, his weight was stable, and he had that "look." I just thought to myself..........

Last edited by herefornow; 09-24-2010 at 03:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or