U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 11:59 PM

7,813 posts, read 10,712,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Awesome!
Yes - the hubby gets home around 12:20am or so. We keep odd hours, I know.
He just got an exercise bike - the doctor's recommendation for his knee - so we are about to go down to the basement so he can ride that and I can do a little more on the treadmill! Like I said, we keep odd hours!
So is it "just June" or are the atheists the only ones keeping late hours, here?

~Gotta be a "heathen thing.".....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 11:59 PM

6,793 posts, read 4,078,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June has the feeling she's the only one on....

A moderator never sleeps!

"Anyone? Anyone?"
Here you girls are chillin' out in the comfort of your homes...and I still have over 3 hours of work before I can get out of this den-of-iniquity I call a business.
We've had a run on what I call the "Ultra-Pervs" tonight...leftovers from last nights full moon I guess. I guess I shouldn't complain...any patrons are better than none.
Oh, and Dewdrop...there is a new Ice Cream Shoppe that just moved into the storefront next to the club (I'm in a strip mall...how appropriate HaHa!), and I had the tastiest root-beer float EVER tonight.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post

We've had a run on what I call the "Ultra-Pervs" tonight...
You are more than welcome here, genuinelly, on what is a "Friendship thread." However, your disclosure as regards your profession may be "over the top...."

~June's just sayin'....

Old 09-25-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
You are more than welcome here, genuinelly, on what is a "Friendship thread." However, your disclosure as regards your profession may be "over the top...."

~June's just sayin'....
Sorry about that June...I'll refrain from it...I forget that it's "one of those things" that some find to be "not so cool". I'm kinda "numb" to it.

Why are you up so late? I know that I'd be in bed sleepin' if I could.

How's your spirits? Are you nervous or "psyched up" (pun intended) for Monday?

Old 09-25-2010, 12:43 AM

21,188 posts, read 21,032,415 times
I LOVE ROOT BEER FLOATS!!! LOVE THEM LOVE THEM LOVE THEM!!! Considering that I've put on about 8 pounds in the last year or two and have done 5 miles today on the treadmill and an hour exercise tape - I should really refrain from having one right now. But ooohhhhh - I love them!

Old 09-25-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I LOVE ROOT BEER FLOATS!!! LOVE THEM LOVE THEM LOVE THEM!!! Considering that I've put on about 8 pounds in the last year or two and have done 5 miles today on the treadmill and an hour exercise tape - I should really refrain from having one right now. But ooohhhhh - I love them!
They made it with "Perry's" vanilla ice cream and A&W Root Beer. It was awesome!

Old 09-25-2010, 12:53 AM

5,096 posts, read 8,078,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Nope. No insurance. Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure I can hop a flight to Thailand. I can't imagine sitting still for that long. I guess if I get desperate. There is really nothing I can do even if I do find out what's wrong, though. I'm just self-medicating right now.
I'm guessing your physician had suggested having an MRI scan done. If you have problems with your cervical vertebrae, enough that a physician has recommended a scan, you shouldn't delay too long. The scan will enable the physician to better monitor whether your condition is leveling off or getting worse.

My problem is a few damaged (from wear and tear) cervical vertebrae. Too many decades of working with heavy bone-crunching machinery. The vertebrae can lock up and press on the discs, forcing them to bulge against major nerves that go all the way to my hands. Usually it affects my left arm, but sometimes it affects my right arm. It can be very painful from my neck all the way to the hands. I discussed surgery with the neurologist in the US, but it was recommended that's it's better as a last resort. The reson being that once you've gone under the knife, they can't exactly go back in and undo it very easily, if necessary.

I had been getting injections in the neck with some kind of steroid that would last for anywhere from 6 months to a year. Not the kind of steroids you hear about on the news. Anyway, the hospital discontinued the procedure because there wasn't enough demand to justify the insurance rates. I think there are some hospitals out of town, but they're farther than I want to travel to. So I ended up being prescribed neurontin (expensive) and hydromorphone. I discontinued the neurontin because it wasn't helping any, and I'd use the hydromorphone during severe episodes only when necessary for 2 or 3 days. Hydromorphone is highly addictive, but I never used it on a regular basis, only briefly when the pain was too severe. The problem with my condition is that the attacks could turn into a viscious cycle. The pain would cause the muscles to tense up which cause pain, and the pain would keep the muscles tensed. Relaxing the muscles was helpful in breaking the cycle.

I knew a few people who were using medical marijuana for various physical problems. About a year or so ago, I gave it a try and was surprised that it seemed to work nearly as well as the pharmaceuticals. I talked with my physician about it, received a written statement from him, and applied for a medical marijuana permit. I do not grow my own, but obtain it from a grower who has a permit to grow for a small number of patients. I don't use so much that I get bombed out of my skull because I don't have any desire to be that spaced out. For me, a very tiny amount is enough to relieve the pain without turning into a stupified zombie. I only use it in my house. If I know I have to drive somewhere, I just don't use any until I'm finished with whatever I need to do. Anyway you look at it, it can make you a bit drowsy, and knowing that, to me it's important to treat it responsibly like any other medication, such as cold medicines, etc. Besides, I don't want any DUI tickets.

The thing is that there isn't really much that can be done for my condition. There isn't enough bone material in the vertebrae to fuse them together, so basically I just have to live with it. Even though it's not something I enjoy, I'm able to function reasonably well without having the overall quality of my life go down the tubes. As far as I'm concerned, there's no reason to suffer if there are medical alternatives that can be helpful.

Back to the MRI. Just for whatever it's worth, I have my MRI scans done at the Prachachuen Imaging Group MRI Center which specializes in MRI scans, and is located slightly north of Bangkok. Any taxi can find it.

Here's the link for it. Don't worry about the weird stuff in the URL. It's just the name of it in Thai. The page is written in English. There's video on the page, although the speaking is in Thai. Still, it gives an idea of what the facility looks like.
MRI Center in Bangkok Thailand,MRI in Bangkok,Prachachuen imaging group,เ*็ม *าร์ ไ*,เ*็ม *าร์ ไ* เซ็นเต*ร์,เ*็ม.*าร ์.ไ*.,เ*็ม.*าร์.ไ*. เซ็นเ

Here's a link showing their prices. If you scroll down to SPINES, all the spine applications shown are listed at 8000 baht, which is about $250. That includes the film and the radiologist's report (both of which are important for physicians see). Right now, the currency exchange rate is about 32 baht to the dollar.
MRI in Bangkok

You're right that flying there is a long stretch. I'm on the West Coast and it's roughly 10 hours or so from Portland Oregon for about an hour or so stop at Narita Airport in Japan, then another 8 hours from Japan to Bangkok. I'm able to tolerate it because I have my wife along, and I have pharmeceuticals with a note with me. I also request wheelchair service in advance all the way through, which is a free service. It also gets you through customs and to your departure gate a lot faster, when you have an airport employee wheeling you around. And, no, you can't take any weed with you. It's illegal in Thailand even though a lot of it grows wild there.

Anyway, you might feel you just can't do it, but I thought I'd post it for you as a possible option to consider. If you'd like to chat, feel free to send me a DM any time. I'll be glad to share any suggestions I can.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:26 PM

5,499 posts, read 4,578,505 times
I watched this movie last night "Hachiko A Dog Story". A true story of a dog who died waiting for his master at the train station. Has any of you seen this movie?

Dog lovers will enjoy this story about loyalty...

Old 09-25-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I watched this movie last night "Hachiko A Dog Story". A true story of a dog who died waiting for his master at the train station. Has any of you seen this movie?

Dog lovers will enjoy this story about loyalty...
Is the movie based on a true story about (June thinks?) a Japanese or Chinese man who had a dog who waited for him every evening to come off his commuter train? June knows that what you describe is familiar; she thinks she saw a documentary about said dog and owner years ago....

Old 09-25-2010, 02:55 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,494,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I'm guessing your physician had suggested having an MRI scan done. If you have problems with your cervical vertebrae, enough that a physician has recommended a scan, you shouldn't delay too long. The scan will enable the physician to better monitor whether your condition is leveling off or getting worse.
Thanks for the detailed post. I'm sorry you are in pain, also. Does the pot really help? I was kind of worried about that. Somebody told me recently that pot doesn't do any good for this type of pain, and I just about lost it. Pot was my last hope, really.

I know that surgery might actually make things worse. Not that I can afford it, but I've heard that the scarring that surgery leaves behind can make things more difficult in the long run. Even if I were to get scans, I can't afford to do anything about it, so it's almost pointless, I guess. I'm just trying to figure out how to kill the pain. Some days are better than others. If I don't move around too much, it's bearable, kinda. Once I start feeling a little better, I hop up and try to conquer the world. That's never good.

I used to dance when I was younger, and I loved to keep in shape, doing yoga, pilates, Tae Bo, etc. I just can't do any of that anymore. That's what I'm most upset about. I love to move around as much as I can. Traveling, gardening, whatever. I just feel so useless, now.

But, as I told June, being immobile has made me stop and get real. I've been studying and reading and studying and reading. That's been a very good thing (I think). So, I'm looking on the bright side of things, for now. I just don't know how much longer I can do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or