Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2010, 09:00 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Thanks for the detailed post. I'm sorry you are in pain, also. Does the pot really help? I was kind of worried about that. Somebody told me recently that pot doesn't do any good for this type of pain, and I just about lost it. Pot was my last hope, really.

I know that surgery might actually make things worse. Not that I can afford it, but I've heard that the scarring that surgery leaves behind can make things more difficult in the long run. Even if I were to get scans, I can't afford to do anything about it, so it's almost pointless, I guess. I'm just trying to figure out how to kill the pain. Some days are better than others. If I don't move around too much, it's bearable, kinda. Once I start feeling a little better, I hop up and try to conquer the world. That's never good.

I used to dance when I was younger, and I loved to keep in shape, doing yoga, pilates, Tae Bo, etc. I just can't do any of that anymore. That's what I'm most upset about. I love to move around as much as I can. Traveling, gardening, whatever. I just feel so useless, now.

But, as I told June, being immobile has made me stop and get real. I've been studying and reading and studying and reading. That's been a very good thing (I think). So, I'm looking on the bright side of things, for now. I just don't know how much longer I can do that.
I wish I could tell you pot is a cure-all for such conditions. It's not. In my case, the vertebrae are damaged, and nothing is going to fix that. I really can't speak for anyone else, but I can say that for me it's helped relieve the pain. Don't get me wrong. It's not a pain killer. But it does help smooth the intensity of pain, I suppose because it's relaxing. When I'm able to relax, the muscles and nerves are also relaxed. When the muscles are relaxed, they aren't compressing or pinching the nerves which cause pain as much. I don't know if it's helpful or not for everyone with conditions like yours and mine.

I have no interest or desire to ingest amounts that would make me feel like a blob of jello. I consume very small amounts, which seems work out okay and still enables me to function better than before.

When my condition got progressively worse, I felt completely worthless. I was virtually confined at home. I was getting terrilbly depressed, which isn't like me at all. I really didn't know what to do. Some of the prescribed medications did the trick in terms of pain relief, but except for the steroid injections in the neck (a painful process), the side effects tended to make me fall asleep. That just seemed like a waste of time to me.

Frankly, I thought the pot would do nothing more that give a big buzz, but probably wouldn't do anything about the pain. After trying it, I was extremely surprised at the results. My head wasn't zoned out, and I felt better than before. Granted, I'm not ever going to be doing hand springs any time soon, but I can live with that. I'm not 100% painfree and comfortable, but I'm far better now than I was and I'm back to feeling more positive and cheerful about things. I'm better able to adjust to how things are and can live with my disability.

The only thing I suggest is that if you decide to give it a try, you'll know soon enough if it makes any noticable difference for you or not. You might try to adjust the amount until you reach a point of comfort for you. I'd also suggest that if you have pain meds, don't toss them out. It's always possible you may still have a serious flare-up now and then, but hopefully fewer and less intense than before. If it doesn't provide any relief for you, then you'll know there's no need to continue on with it.

I feel a bit of a constant ache, but generally no pain over the last 7 months. I've had no need to resort to any other meds, although I still keep them on hand, just in case.

As for the MRI, if money is tight for you, I'm sure there are resources where you live that can help. If the MRI is connected with a hospital, check in advance with the hospital's billing department. They should be able to provide a payment plan that fits with your income and budget without breaking you, most of the time, interest free. For some people, depending on their income, the hospital should even be able to reduce the price. There are options and resources available.

If the expense is still making things tight, check with your utility companies to see if they offer an equal pay plan. In addition, there should be some kind of public community organizations that can actually pay a large percentage (depending on your income) of your utilities. These organizations receive funding from the state as well as the federal government for the express purpose of providing financial assistence for people in need. it's usually on a first come, first serve basis until the money is depleted for the year. It's not an ongoing thing, that is, they don't pay out each month for a person. They seem to deal with past or current bills, although I think they may be able to spread it out. September and no later than October, is best to apply.

The point is that if you need to have an MRI scan done, don't delay it too long. Look around for solutions that can ultimately help you achieve your objectives without putting a severe drain on your resources.

Believe me, I can relate to everything you're going through. My wife has been an enormous source of strength and encouragement for me. I don't know what I'd do without her. But I was also determined to search for every possible solution to help out. In my case, at least for the MRI scan, it was cheaper by a long shot, even allowing for other expenses like airfare, etc., to have it done in Thailand.

We don't fly in First Class seats. We go for Budget Class, and I look for the cheapest prices I can find. We've usually had very good luck directly dealing with travel agents in the US who are Thai, with prices far less than the airlines or travel agents. We had been seeing prices running around $1800 for Budget Class, but got them for $800. Also, some overseas-based airlines have prices that are much lower than US-based airlines. For example, Korean Airlines often offer low rates on the condition you spend the night in Seoul. They provide free accomodations, transportation between the airport and hotel, and provide food. Next morning, you're taken back to the airport and are off to your next destination. If an overseas airline has service to international airports, then they also have an office and ticket counter at those airports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 09:54 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Today was a great day! My football team won, I went to my friend's housewarming party, the weather was great (if maybe a little on the hot side), and the hubby and Cookie were waiting for me when I got home! I got covered in Cookie kisses and then she fell asleep on me!

Old 09-25-2010, 09:56 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Cookie is currently sleeping next to me on the sofa - so she adds a snore or two to the conversation! Yes, she really does snore!
LOL!

As June types this, Misha is sleeping next to me on the couch....Thus far, he's not snoring.

Hey, Dewdrop: Are you sure that we don't snore louder than our dogs?

P.S. Misha has been known to snore at times, too! Me? Who knows!

Old 09-25-2010, 10:18 PM

The hubby says that he has never heard me snore. All my exes have told me the same thing. Except for a couple times when I've had a bad cold or something - I don't think I snore. Cookie, on the other hand, is a very loud snorer! The first night we had her - we put her in between us to sleep - and she snored so loudly! We were trying so hard not to laugh but our shaking and chuckling woke her up and she moved to the foot of the bed! She is so cute! And she snores all the time! She also barks in her sleep - which is funny since she rarely barks when she is awake!
The hubby snores sometimes but not that often. It's so funny when the hubby and Cookie are both snoring away!

Old 09-25-2010, 10:36 PM

823 posts, read 1,401,128 times
Quote:
Today was a great day! My football team won, I went to my friend's housewarming party, the weather was great (if maybe a little on the hot side), and the hubby and Cookie were waiting for me when I got home! I got covered in Cookie kisses and then she fell asleep on me!
Cookie kisses how cute.... it was unseasonably hot wear where I live too....loved it.... did some gardening and made two large homemade lasagna's for Sunday dinner for the FAM tomorrow night... my Oakley was drooling the whole time just waiting for bits of mozzaralle cheese to drop on the floor

Old 09-25-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Thought so.

In the documentary that June saw ages ago, they also mentioned a dog in (?) Scotland or England whose owner was a constable. When the owner of the dog died, people in the village noticed how the dog would curl up on top of the his deceased owner's grave each day. They eventually buried the dog right next to his owner's grave, in the same cemetary....

It's amazing how loyal these animals can be. It amazes June...

Awwwwww

One thing about animals they are a lot of work, they make a big mess, especially my Goldren, drooling, shedding, coming in from walks and the dirt slowly falling to the hardwood floor - but, but, but - our home just wouldn't be the same without him

Old 09-25-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
Awwwwww

One thing about animals they are a lot of work, they make a big mess, especially my Goldren, drooling, shedding, coming in from walks and the dirt slowly falling to the hardwood floor - but, but, but - our home just wouldn't be the same without him
I'm always asking the hubby how we were ever happy before little Cookie came into our life!

Old 09-25-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I'm always asking the hubby how we were ever happy before little Cookie came into our life!
Its interesting. My best friend is very allergic to cats and so whe has never been much of an animal lover. We have a cat as well "Butterball" When she visits me she needs to take an antihistamine and not sit on any furniture that may contain a cat hair - her eyes get really swollen and itchy so I can hardly blame her. She has 2 young adult kids but when her kids were in school a teacher recommended to her once that the kids should have some type of pet at home - she strongly recommended they get a pet.

I found that interesting. Pets do teach us a lot about love, nurturing, responsibilty and even loss

Old 09-25-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Thanks for the detailed post. I'm sorry you are in pain, also. Does the pot really help? I was kind of worried about that. Somebody told me recently that pot doesn't do any good for this type of pain, and I just about lost it. Pot was my last hope, really.

I know that surgery might actually make things worse. Not that I can afford it, but I've heard that the scarring that surgery leaves behind can make things more difficult in the long run. Even if I were to get scans, I can't afford to do anything about it, so it's almost pointless, I guess. I'm just trying to figure out how to kill the pain. Some days are better than others. If I don't move around too much, it's bearable, kinda. Once I start feeling a little better, I hop up and try to conquer the world. That's never good.

I used to dance when I was younger, and I loved to keep in shape, doing yoga, pilates, Tae Bo, etc. I just can't do any of that anymore. That's what I'm most upset about. I love to move around as much as I can. Traveling, gardening, whatever. I just feel so useless, now.

But, as I told June, being immobile has made me stop and get real. I've been studying and reading and studying and reading. That's been a very good thing (I think). So, I'm looking on the bright side of things, for now. I just don't know how much longer I can do that.
I just wanted to say how sorry I am for the pain the you have to endure both you and Nightbazaar..... it must be very difficult to not be able to do the things that you used to do. My MIL has rheumatoid arthritis and her joints are fusing together....she is in a lot of pain and takes a lot of drugs.... I never know what to say I just try and be there for her. Taking a lot of drugs also causes other ailments....its a vicious circle.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:58 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Quote:
She also barks in her sleep - which is funny since she rarely barks when she is awake!
For some reason, this ^ made June laugh so hard! Misha just climbs up on my bed each night (which is low to the floor) and then he burrows underneath the blankets in the exact, same spot next to me every night....He "has to" (in his dog mind) sleep curled up next to my side, in the exact, same place.... --But June has never heard him bark in his sleep. Ocassionally, June has heard him "whimper" when he is dreaming, but thus far, no snoring or barking....

Very cute, your little Cookie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity