Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 05:58 PM

7,991 posts, read 12,207,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisTime2010 View Post
Hey, I'm not a shrink, but I just graduated with my Masters in Psychology & right now I'm working in education, but my passion is community outreach so I'm in the process of doing the whole 501c3 thing to search for grants. Any professional career suggestions? BTW - my day was fine. Off for the summer so I seem to be an errand person for my kids & I did manage to get in a 2 mile walk. In fact about to go walk again.
Congrats on the graduate degree!!! June would be the first to say that anyone who is into community outreach is okay in her book!!! Truly, June applauds you! June works at an outpatient community mental health agency, and trust me when I say that we could sure use you up here outside of Boston! There just aren't enough outreach workers or caseworkers, and people who could otherwise be steered towards much needed services end up falling through the cracks as a result.

What areas/agencies have you looked in to thus far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 06:24 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,163,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Boy, I'm in the fire...
I seem to always be in the middle of the "fire." If I didn't know better I would think I had done something TERRIBLE in a past life.

I don't know what is going on in your life, but I know when things are completely out of my control, and I want DESPERATELY to put things back in order, no matter what it takes , I find that I start losing my grip on the fruits of the Spirit, so I just have to let go. (not in the bad way, of course)

Hang in there, little elmer.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:08 PM

529 posts, read 890,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Congrats on the graduate degree!!! June would be the first to say that anyone who is into community outreach is okay in her book!!! Truly, June applauds you! June works at an outpatient community mental health agency, and trust me when I say that we could sure use you up here outside of Boston! There just aren't enough outreach workers or caseworkers, and people who could otherwise be steered towards much needed services end up falling through the cracks as a result.

What areas/agencies have you looked in to thus far?
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Well since graduating I interviewed for one university advocate position & believe it or not it was a contract position requiring a masters degree, but had no benefits & only paid 14.83 an hour. Well, I make more than that sub teaching during the year & that's not enough plus I'm gonna need to pay back my student loans. Other than that I have worked with a right to life organization to teach young mothers, I have worked with a womens counseling center as an outreach educator. I managed the satillite office for five years before they down sized & I loved that! And I have worked with churches & their community outreach. My problem with churches & the right to life organizations is this -- although I'm a Christian & I am. I don't want to be caught up in the "right to life issue" or the "moral debachery - if you do this you're going to hell thing." I just want to help people & not get into the politics & religion of it. I compare it to my Dr. If I made an appointment with my Dr because I could barely breath I wouldn't expect him to ask me are you born again, do you believe in abortion? Ummm........I can't breath could you take me back & see me please & give me something so I can breath please. So that's the issue I've found when working with some agencies & churches EXCEPT the womens counseling agency. They would help regardless of your belief - I don't think they even asked & although this wasn't a religious agency almost every counselor, administrator & outreach worker & board member there except for 2 or 3 were Catholic, Christian, Lutheran, or Methodist. And we were directed to respond if anyone calles in and ask are you prolife or prochoice we were directed to answer - we're neutural, we're a counseling center. And many agencies had an issue with that & tried to stop our funding - never mind the women who were being seen by counselors for sexual abuse, marital abuse, child abuse whatever or the parents who came in for diapers, food, clothing & parenting classes, or the education that was being done in the community or abuse prevention and recognition or shaken baby syndrom & Sids. So anyway - that's the issue I've run into with agencies. Its funny I remember I was facilitating a toddlers class & we took a break. Although every parent in the group was in fact a parent, we were not allowed to discuss birth control & that was fine. So this one day we were on break & I came back to group from the rest room. I walked right into what --- you got it, a birth control discussion about getting your tubes tied. I sat down, looked around to see who we were missing & said, "ladies, you are all young mothers. Don't make a permanent decision based on a temporary condition in your life. You might meet Mr. Right get married and find you want your quiver full of kids. You never know the possiblities life might hold for you." Okay is everybody here? With that we regrouped discussion over. The next day I was called into the office & told that someone reported me for holding a discussion on birth control, I was warned, written up & directed to tell the class in the next meeting that we are a prolife organization, we do not believe in or discuss birth control in class, so we can not have the type of discussions that took place in the last class. So that was a long way of answering you. Hmmm, did I answer you? OMG! Also I am aware there are some area's I can't work in, one being senior citizens. Oh my goodness. I love seniors & I accepted this case mgr position that only paid 10 an hr by the way. I lasted 3 days! Why? I felt so sorry for the seniors. I literally cried every day @ the ladies house. At one point I went outside & sat on the porch crying. And I don't know why this affected me so badly. I've worked with abused women, kids, and men and I read the stories, I know how they said some senior citizens live because of deminished mental capacity, finances, resources, family etc. I read the case studies, but when I was there. I was not prepared for what I saw. It was too much for me. I don't know maybe I could do seniors in a senior citizen building in a "controlled enviornement." But the conditions of the clients homes that I had, no. I just wanted to wrap them up & take them home with me. Oh dear...I'm rambling again. Sorry.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:26 PM

529 posts, read 890,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I seem to always be in the middle of the "fire." If I didn't know better I would think I had done something TERRIBLE in a past life.

I don't know what is going on in your life, but I know when things are completely out of my control, and I want DESPERATELY to put things back in order, no matter what it takes , I find that I start losing my grip on the fruits of the Spirit, so I just have to let go. (not in the bad way, of course)

Hang in there, little elmer.
You know, I don't know about you guys, but I always find Bible Stories uplift & encourage me. I look at those stories & I take them literally & seriously. I'm like you know we're reading the story from the end so we know the outcome - they win. But think about it Abraham was in the fire, Noah, Moses, Job, David, Boaz (yep even Boaz), Jacob, Tamar, Ruth, Rehab, Bathsheeba, Mary. They were all in the fire. And they came out. Then I go to Hebrews & I read about the Heros of faith, some of who I just mentioned. They were in the fire! OMG & God was doing something that they couldn't see & didn't understand, but when He was done it was good. Even the bad was good. If they can make it through the fire (the pain, physical pain, mental pain, the anguish, self assurance, self doubt, understanding, fear and wavering, lonileness, questioning - comfort etc cause the fire brings - the fire). So my prayers are with you.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:48 PM

823 posts, read 1,384,261 times
I am feeling extremely blessed today Woo Hoo Deutschland - FIFA 2010 World Cup

I was praying to God for him to protect Germany's goal today....I have to wonder how many people are praying to God during the FIFA World Cup ???

Old 06-23-2010, 04:01 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,522,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
I am feeling extremely blessed today Woo Hoo Deutschland - FIFA 2010 World Cup

I was praying to God for him to protect Germany's goal today....I have to wonder how many people are praying to God during the FIFA World Cup ???
I'm happy for you Kat...

Old 06-23-2010, 04:36 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,411,941 times
Sister Kat I am a brand new soccer fan and I am thoroughly enjoying the games with the explanations of plays and rules from one of my grandsons who is a fan of any sports..I love the fast pace and the excitement of the game..I could never understand all the delays in football and couldn't keep up with that ball, but soccer?? I just love it!

Old 06-23-2010, 04:45 PM

823 posts, read 1,384,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Sister Kat I am a brand new soccer fan and I am thoroughly enjoying the games with the explanations of plays and rules from one of my grandsons who is a fan of any sports..I love the fast pace and the excitement of the game..I could never understand all the delays in football and couldn't keep up with that ball, but soccer?? I just love it!
Glad you are enjoying it. It is a world wide exciting game to watch and I know this isn't very Christian like but I do like those soccer legs too

Old 06-23-2010, 05:40 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,163,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
Glad you are enjoying it. It is a world wide exciting game to watch and I know this isn't very Christian like but I do like those soccer legs too
My daughter is with you on that......

Old 06-23-2010, 07:21 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,411,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
My daughter is with you on that......
Yep and my granddaughter also enjoyed the "seats" on the field
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity