Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 06:51 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,567,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Ah, dear Kat!

June (being the little heathen that she is) doesn't exactly "pray" (for reasons all to obvious) however, she can tell you that if she did, that she might be praying something contrary to what you are asking: To not break down and cry at the airport when you bid your son goodbye.

Take gentle maternal care, my dear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 06:53 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,567,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
It is hard to let them go. Very hard.
Amen!

Old 08-23-2010, 07:29 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times
Quote:
Saturday. I would never go shopping, eat out, spend money, do the normal weekday's work, etc. on Sabbath -- Saturday. Rather, I go to public services, study there with the others (most Sabbaths), set aside time for personal study at home, get a nap or two, eat whatever is around the house (which I enjoy!), and enjoy the thought of avoiding working! My husband and I often use that day to consider Scripture together as well, sometimes debating (which we both love!).

Sunday is just a weekend day. Sunday is my "get all the rest of the stuff done," except that I do reserve time to study on that day as well. My husband goes to his services, and I take full advantage of the "alone time." I was single for some years before we married, and this "alone time" became necessary. He knows and is very understanding about it. Then he takes me out to eat.

My husband has no qualms about working, spending, etc. on Sunday, because he knows that Sabbath is on Saturday.

[hr]

Yom Kippur is coming up, of course, and this year, it is on a weekly Sabbath. How does your community handle holy days that are on Sabbaths, especially when they are fasts?

Even if Yom Kippur falls on Shabbat we still fast. If other fast days fall on Shabbat we postpone the fast to Sunday. On Yom Kippur we will start the fast the evening before since that is when Yom kippur starts and it will end the next evening with a break fast meal. We go to kol Nidre services and the next day Yom kippur services then we join up for the meal with my community. I am not orthodox, I am not attached to any denomination within Judaism but lean more towards the renewal movement.

We try to set aside Saturday so it is different then the other days of the week. My husband is not religious at all so he just lets us do what we do. My oldest son is not interested in religion and he will decide what he wants to do when he is ready. I am a Jew by choice and so are 2 of my children. We have a bit of a strange family but we co-exist and it works.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:38 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Default We need MEN! :-)))

Okay, not that this has anything to do with anything, but is June the only one to notice that it's just "us womens" who are posting on this thread!?

Where are the men? No friendly men on here?

Figures....

Take gentle gender care, girls!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:28 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Sometimes other posters think I am a man - does that count? I'm not sure why - I know Dewdrop is a very macho name!!!

SisterKat - my heart goes out to you! I don't have any children yet - but I live in New York and my mom lives in Los Angeles. I went to summer camp for the whole summer between my junior and senior year in highschool and I went to college in Michigan. My mom said that she always knew I'd live far away - so she prepared herself. My mom and I are still really close and talk all the time. She's my best friend!

Howgreatthouart - My husband and his brother can't be around each other for more than 5 minutes with out yelling at each other! To be honest, I've yelled at his brother, too. He's just one of the people that really tries your patience! We all have family members like that. With me - it used to be my aunt. However, she's really changed in the last 10 years or so - become so much more self aware than she ever was - and now we get along so much better! And she's in her early 70's - so it goes to show you that it's never too late to change! Anyway, don't feel bad - getting along with your family isn't always easy. The fact that you are upset by it shows how much you care.

As for me - I ate enough for 3 people today and am exhausted!!!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:30 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,251,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Even if Yom Kippur falls on Shabbat we still fast. If other fast days fall on Shabbat we postpone the fast to Sunday. On Yom Kippur we will start the fast the evening before since that is when Yom kippur starts and it will end the next evening with a break fast meal. We go to kol Nidre services and the next day Yom kippur services then we join up for the meal with my community.
Ah! We do the same thing. Usually, on the evening when Yom Kippur is over, we all have salads, soups, and breads together at the shul. And I so look forward to kol nidre. The month of Elul, too, is a big deal for me, as are the Ten Days of Awe.

Quote:
I am not orthodox, I am not attached to any denomination within Judaism but lean more towards the renewal movement.

We try to set aside Saturday so it is different then the other days of the week. My husband is not religious at all so he just lets us do what we do. My oldest son is not interested in religion and he will decide what he wants to do when he is ready. I am a Jew by choice and so are 2 of my children. We have a bit of a strange family but we co-exist and it works.
I understand the differences -- from my point of view, of course. For years, my husband and I were extremely varied in our religious practices, but we aren't so much anymore. He has changed in so many ways. I really do appreciate that. But it took a while!

For myself, I am deeply -- um -- shall I say religious? I wasn't for the 50 years I was in the church. I had to fight for every religious thought I induced upon myself. But since I was kicked out, that has changed completely.

Well, it's been good to learn about you and yours, Jazzy!!!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:37 PM

SisKat, when my daughter left, it was to go right into a marriage at age 19. My son stayed with the same lady from the time he was @ 15, so I thought a young marriage could come for him, too. But he waited. And when the time came when he could have gone from our home before marriage, I nearly begged him to stay. He did. He left a few years later when he married.

I think I did them a disservice. It was selfish of me in our circumstances. I wanted them around. I loved having them around, but now, I wish I had encouraged them to go, so that they could have done that particular maturing that moving out brings about. Fortunately, they weren't damaged by my selfishness. I hope. I think. Maybe.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Ah! We do the same thing. Usually, on the evening when Yom Kippur is over, we all have salads, soups, and breads together at the shul. And I so look forward to kol nidre. The month of Elul, too, is a big deal for me, as are the Ten Days of Awe.

I understand the differences -- from my point of view, of course. For years, my husband and I were extremely varied in our religious practices, but we aren't so much anymore. He has changed in so many ways. I really do appreciate that. But it took a while!

For myself, I am deeply -- um -- shall I say religious? I wasn't for the 50 years I was in the church. I had to fight for every religious thought I induced upon myself. But since I was kicked out, that has changed completely.

Well, it's been good to learn about you and yours, Jazzy!!!
Yeah the month of Elul is the month of starting to look inward. This month my rabbi has been sending out daily thoughts for Elul and they have been helpful.

My kids love Rosh HaShanah and they get to miss school this year. They also like the tashlich service. The apples dipped in honey and the round challah is their favorite too.

I spent a lifetime trying to find where I fit where religion was concerned. I had no formal upbringing but my family did Christmas and Easter. When I found Judaism I found where I belonged. It was like I had come home.

Where were you kicked out from? Did you have a strict religious upbringing?

Old 08-23-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Where were you kicked out from? Did you have a strict religious upbringing?
I was kicked out of the church organization I had been in for 50+ years, but I wanted out of that place so badly that I would have eaten the pastor's hat, if I had thought it would have helped. I had already been attending my shul for years, but I thought I had to stay in that church for the family's sake. Surprise! All I had to do to get out is tell the pastor I was not taking my wedding band off anymore in order to enter his church, and it did the trick! He booted me! If I had known it was that simple, I would have done that a lot earlier.

Yeah, Father was a pastor, and Mother was very strict.

What brought you to Judaism, JazzyMom?

Old 08-23-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I was kicked out of the church organization I had been in for 50+ years, but I wanted out of that place so badly that I would have eaten the pastor's hat, if I had thought it would have helped. I had already been attending my shul for years, but I thought I had to stay in that church for the family's sake. Surprise! All I had to do to get out is tell the pastor I was not taking my wedding band off anymore in order to enter his church, and it did the trick! He booted me! If I had known it was that simple, I would have done that a lot earlier.

Yeah, Father was a pastor, and Mother was very strict.

What brought you to Judaism, JazzyMom?
I have always been attracted to Judaism. I finally started to attend a local synagogue and then joined a lay led shul. I started working with a rabbi and learning Hebrew. The more I learned about Judaism the more connected I became. Sometimes I forgot I wasn't Jewish. My kids wanted to go to Hebrew school and they too felt connected. So we all became Jewish a few years ago. I felt connected and I believe that I have a Jewish soul and that I always did. The restlessness I had with religion I really believe was the restlessness of my soul.

My parents waited till my brother and I were grown to become involved in religion. They are now Catholic. My brother is Baptist.

Why did he want you to take off your wedding ring?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity