Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2019, 11:30 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,816,815 times

Advertisements

Well, Tithon, you might want to compare those who require TULIP (an acronym for Calvin's ideas) with those who require adherence to the Niceness Creed here in order to claim to be "Christian." Neither one flies here.

Just found out that spellcheck adds us to your name and I missed it before, my apologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 11:45 AM

16,583 posts, read 15,507,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tithon View Post
Hi Jerwade,

I always change my mind about things after some time. Just a year ago, I was head over heels in love with Mozart and would play every piece he wrote for the clarinet. Now it's Crusell. A couple of years ago, it was Spohr. I'm in my school orchestra and my conductor loves Crusell.

I love nature too. I love to go hiking in the mountains. Every summer, my dad and I will hike on some alpine trail in different parts of Europe. The most spectacular must be the Dolomites in Northern Italy. You feel like you're on another planet.

Thanks for the encouragement. My posts did not get a kind reception when I joined another Internet forum 3 years ago. On one thread, someone said the fact that there was objective morality proved the existence of God. I posted my view then that there was no such thing as objective morality. I was very young then and my view was not properly formed. The moderators said I was Satan-inspired and banned me from the site. It was a baptist forum and there were rules that you could not even question Calvinism. They didn't say anything about objective morality but I suppose if you can't question Calvinism, you can't question objective morality. Anyway, I'm a lot older and wiser now and my views are more well-thought out. And to read that you enjoyed reading my perspective goes quite a long way to warm the cockles of my heart.

Cheerio!
City-Data exists to provide demographic information. These discussion forums are incidental to the site. Forums focused on one particular kind of Christianity or focused on the owner's personal views are likely to have different requirements than we do here.

I recall somebody saying that CARM bans people who present views divergent from the owner's, and christianforums has particular requirements. I'm sure others do too. There are dozens of forums out there where nothing but Christian religion is discussed.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:21 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,816,815 times
Good grief, spellcheck added ss to NICENE I gotta learn to check more.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:24 PM

947 posts, read 681,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tithon View Post
My posts did not get a kind reception when I joined another Internet forum 3 years ago. On one thread, someone said the fact that there was objective morality proved the existence of God. I posted my view then that there was no such thing as objective morality. I was very young then and my view was not properly formed. The moderators said I was Satan-inspired and banned me from the site. It was a baptist forum and there were rules that you could not even question Calvinism. They didn't say anything about objective morality but I suppose if you can't question Calvinism, you can't question objective morality. Anyway, I'm a lot older and wiser now and my views are more well-thought out. And to read that you enjoyed reading my perspective goes quite a long way to warm the cockles of my heart.

Cheerio!
Hi Tithon
It's good that you challenge or question about dogmatic beliefs. In my own city, there were some Christians who used to constantly browbeat me about my Buddhism. They used to constantly browbeat me that a Buddhist is a Non-Christian and so is condemned to spend an eternity being tortured in Hell.

Finally, out of fear of Hell, I joined the group. But as time went on, I found so many contradictions in the Bible that did not make any sense at all. At that point, I went back into my Buddhism. Yet at the same time I still believe in some aspects of Christianity, most of which center on compassion.

Because only some Christians are bigoted. Most are compassionate and respect other religions. Here locally are a group of Buddhists and Presbyterians who share the same building and they respect each other's beliefs. So mutual respect between Christianity and Buddhism can be done and is being done.

Some people ask me how can I be both Christian and Buddhist. To them I say why not? And that is the purpose of this thread. To foster respect for differences.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:37 PM

63,387 posts, read 39,647,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Hi Tithon
It's good that you challenge or question about dogmatic beliefs. In my own city, there were some Christians who used to constantly browbeat me about my Buddhism. They used to constantly browbeat me that a Buddhist is a Non-Christian and so is condemned to spend an eternity being tortured in Hell.

Finally, out of fear of Hell, I joined the group. But as time went on, I found so many contradictions in the Bible that did not make any sense at all. At that point, I went back into my Buddhism. Yet at the same time I still believe in some aspects of Christianity, most of which center on compassion.

Because only some Christians are bigoted. Most are compassionate and respect other religions. Here locally are a group of Buddhists and Presbyterians who share the same building and they respect each other's beliefs. So mutual respect between Christianity and Buddhism can be done and is being done.

Some people ask me how can I be both Christian and Buddhist. To them I say why not? And that is the purpose of this thread. To foster respect for differences.
500 years before the birth of Christ, Buddha, unsatisfied with his imperfect Maitri, predicted that someone would arise who perfectly embodied Maitri. He called him the Maitreya. Christ is that Maitreya.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:38 PM

947 posts, read 681,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
500 years before the birth of Christ, Buddha, unsatisfied with his imperfect Maitri, predicted that someone would arise who perfectly embodied Maitri. He called him the Maitreya. Christ is that Maitreya.
Are you referring to the Church of Shambhala in India? Because they believe that the latest maitreya is the latest Reincarnation of both Jesus Christ and Buddha.

Although I believe in reincarnation, this is the first time I've seen it applied to Jesus Christ.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:46 PM

22,755 posts, read 10,211,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
City-Data exists to provide demographic information. These discussion forums are incidental to the site. Forums focused on one particular kind of Christianity or focused on the owner's personal views are likely to have different requirements than we do here.

I recall somebody saying that CARM bans people who present views divergent from the owner's, and christianforums has particular requirements. I'm sure others do too. There are dozens of forums out there where nothing but Christian religion is discussed.
Now you had to go there? Don't get me started on Carm, I am still seeing a shrink because of them.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Good grief, spellcheck added ss to NICENE I gotta learn to check more.
I had that on my compooter, but I can't figure out how to do it on my tablet, too lazy I guess.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Interesting that Jerwade mentioned Kauai, Hawaii--because that's where I was born. During the 1970s I relocated to Oahu because it presented more opportunities. As my spirituality includes Buddhism, I love the Valley of the Temples on the windward side of the island.

By the way, thanks, Jerwade, for posting the song "Signs" in my Palmistry thread. I know what you mean, that could be the Signature-song for Palmistry.
Sounds really cool.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:16 PM

51 posts, read 16,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, Tithon, you might want to compare those who require TULIP (an acronym for Calvin's ideas) with those who require adherence to the Niceness Creed here in order to claim to be "Christian." Neither one flies here.

Just found out that spellcheck adds us to your name and I missed it before, my apologies.
Hi nateswift,

It's OK. Tithonus is the correct name of the mythological figure I picked for my Forum name. Tithon is the Anglicised form of the poem that Tennyson originally wrote before it was later changed to Tithonus.

My church is extremely accommodating. The Archbishop of Canterbury once said that you don't have to believe in the Virgin Birth. Probably he was thinking of the Alma-Parthenos mistranslation that led to the Virgin Birth. But I know how to be careful with people who are insistent on a particular doctrine. My aunt who lives in the US is a fundamentalist. When she sees me, she will always ask if I have come to 'the saving knowledge of Jesus' yet. I will always tell her 'In God's good time' and she seems very pleased with that. She believes that if I say that, God will send his 'saving knowledge' into me.

I know people who are dogmatic don't mean to be intrusive. They believe it's good for the people they come down hard on. Their intention is probably pure.

Cheerio!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity