U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 05:58 AM

6,370 posts, read 5,815,580 times

Advertisements

Mat 5:25 Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.
Mat 5:26 Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.

Here we see God's stance in Judgement. Those that are cast into the prison will have to pay the uttermost farthing.

Sin is debt. Which is why you read such things as this:

Rom 4:4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

Eventually, all sin shall be paid to the uttermost farthing. Since sin is debt - what happens once the sin is paid? - your debt free.

Even in the parable of the unforgiving servant the servant was only to be tormented TILL he paid the price - not any longer than that.

Mat 18:34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 06:12 AM

8,830 posts, read 10,010,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Mat 5:25 Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.
Mat 5:26 Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.

Here we see God's stance in Judgement. Those that are cast into the prison will have to pay the uttermost farthing.

Sin is debt. Which is why you read such things as this:

Rom 4:4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

Eventually, all sin shall be paid to the uttermost farthing. Since sin is debt - what happens once the sin is paid? - your debt free.

Even in the parable of the unforgiving servant the servant was only to be tormented TILL he paid the price - not any longer than that.

Mat 18:34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
That's EXACTLY right, Trettep.....good examples of how sin will be dealt with. The debt will be paid at some point, and ALL will be reconciled to God.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:46 AM

823 posts, read 1,121,072 times
Default Jesus did not say the debt of our sin is unpayable

Every seed sown produces a harvest of its kind. Not "until you have paid the last farthing. Then there is only one inescapable conclusion: our sins can be forgiven, and will be forgiven when we have reaped what we sowed.

Jesus did not say the debt of our sins is unpayable; instead, he said that sins come with a price and that we will be let out when we have paid our dues.

He did not say, "Verily, I tell you, you will never get out, no matter how much you pay." But he said, "Verily, I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last farthing."

Old 06-22-2010, 10:46 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,766,284 times
Why did Jesus die a gruesome death if we can save ourselves by "paying for our debt?"

Old 06-22-2010, 01:27 PM

15,906 posts, read 8,167,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Why did Jesus die a gruesome death if we can save ourselves by "paying for our debt?"
Maybe so that after the debt has been paid (the wages of sin is death and all have died in Adam), then Christ will be raised in them. And could Christ be raised if he had not first died?

Old 06-22-2010, 03:04 PM

3,540 posts, read 6,080,480 times
Quote:
I have this notion that one day I'll be in heaven and Christ will be welcoming me. He will have no unpaid debt on His balance sheet.

However, there all those "neighbors", "brothers", "sisters" and stangers that I may not have balanced the "ledger" with.

My actions will echo in eternity. And I prefer to "make things right" with my fellow man as promptly as possible.

I want to avoid as much time as possible in the "caldron"

Old 06-22-2010, 03:15 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,041,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
Every seed sown produces a harvest of its kind. Not "until you have paid the last farthing. Then there is only one inescapable conclusion: our sins can be forgiven, and will be forgiven when we have reaped what we sowed.

Jesus did not say the debt of our sins is unpayable; instead, he said that sins come with a price and that we will be let out when we have paid our dues.

He did not say, "Verily, I tell you, you will never get out, no matter how much you pay." But he said, "Verily, I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last farthing."
I suspect that the only time these lines show up in sermons is when the church is trying to raise money.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:25 PM

5,499 posts, read 4,572,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post

Sorry Kat, I had to tag your OP to connect with Dusty's witty (but profound) response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I suspect that the only time these lines show up in sermons is when the church is trying to raise money.
Dusty Rhodes you made me...

Old 06-22-2010, 04:01 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,490,322 times
Quote:

The Religious gave Jesus his gruesome death.

But the point is, is that he had to physically die so that he would be the first-fruits of the rest of us. He got up from the grave. I don't know anybody else who has accomplished that feat. He was showing the power he had over death and life. Death was just no big deal to him.

Last edited by herefornow; 06-22-2010 at 05:08 PM..

Old 06-22-2010, 04:08 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,041,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post

Dusty Rhodes you made me...
You are more than welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity