U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 11:41 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,766,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
No - you didn't offend me at all! Like I said, I try not to stir things up (I'm not sure if I'm always successful) and I try not to offend (although it's probably unavoidable)! I just like to hear what makes other people tick. I already know what makes me tick! And I know we all think we are right (I know I think I'm right -even when I'm wrong and my hubby points it out to me) so we aren't necessarily going to change anyone's minds - but we can understand each other better!
You haven't offended me! My hubby does the same thing I'm glad you're here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 11:56 AM

21,188 posts, read 21,003,441 times

Old 06-24-2010, 02:30 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,434,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Since one verse does not say it all, I must take from reading the whole bible that June will be just fine since all will believe and Gods judgment is corrective for those he loves.

God loves June. Thanks clearing up your beliefs.
Of course God loves June...but in order for June's sins to be forgiven, she must love Him too. The Scriptures are laden with this.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:37 PM

5,925 posts, read 5,838,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Of course God loves June...but in order for June's sins to be forgiven, she must love Him too. The Scriptures are laden with this.

She will. However, the point being that according to some and apparantly you, once she dies on earth, that love is meaningless because it will do her no good.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:56 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,420,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
It doesn't say much, actually, because if you just visited those churches sporadically--one time here, one time there--then you really never had the opportunity to get a full taste of what those churches were like and what they taught.

Not only that, but I wouldn't be quick to interpret the lack of preaching on hell as an indication of love. In fact, it could very well be the opposite: withholding the truth because they really don't care about your soul.

Finally, I find your choice of words most interesting: "threaten" you with hell? When I share the gospel with people, I have no intention whatsoever of "threatening" them. That word has connotations that simply don't reflect the reality of why we share the gospel. It would be more accurate to use the word "warn" as that brings out the motive behind it: warning someone lovingly of the danger that they face.
I emphatically agree!....with every word Jremy...God Bless.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:59 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,771,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
But June can't help but find it noteworthy that she has never heard any great emphasis placed (or for that matter, even mentioned) of her going to hell in the event that she didn't comply, and become a "believer."

...So in making note of that, she wonders, why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Perhaps he has more hope about His Creator's plan than he dares speak aloud. Perhaps deep down, He knows that His Creator would never do to June what he himself would never, ever do to anyone and if he is just a mere man... how much greater is God's love than his own love?

OR...

perhaps he doesn't want to scare you away.

Both are possiblities.
I just had a lightbulb moment when I read your post and Sparrow's!

In many of my posts, I have addressed this issue. If people really believe in a literal lake of fire for unbelievers, nothing else matters! So, June, I've wondered the same thing many, many times! Why? Why are Christians not on every street corner warning of the doom to come? I have asked myself that question a lot. When I believed in eternal torture, what was I thinking? Why did I take it so lightly?? Did I not believe it down deep in my heart, or was I brainwashed, or what??

True Christians are led by the Holy Spirit. If we are led by the Holy Spirit, He will direct our paths and guide our steps. So, if someone believes in ET and they don't feel led to rush out and warn people - why not? Because the Holy Spirit is not leading them to do that! Why not? Well, because eternal torment is a manmade doctrine, that's why!

If you believe in ET, surely you can see that nothing else matters except helping to save as many people as possible from burning for eternity. I'm not being sarcastic, but please, try for a week to warn every single person you come into contact with and try to make sure they are not headed to hell. If, in your spirit, you don't have peace about that or don't want to do it, ask God why this is!! If you are being led by the Holy Spirit, why would you not have peace about telling people that they must become a believer or burn in a lake of fire for eternity? Why would God NOT want you to do that? And, why isn't it all through the scriptures to warn people of the torture that awaits them?

Now I think I finally understand why I wasn't doing that when I believed in ET!! It was simply because even though I believed in a false doctrine, I still loved the Lord and was trusting Him, and the Holy Spirit was guiding me, so that's why I didn't ever feel "led" to witness in that manner. Now, I don't feel like I was hard-hearted or brainwashed, just misinformed, and being led by the Spirit anyway!

Old 06-24-2010, 03:09 PM

11,826 posts, read 10,168,349 times
Quote:
It simply strikes June that all too often Christians are intent on "winning the battle, but losing the war" as in reality, that is something of what it amounts to.....

Odd that to June's reading of the NT, she finds far more about how to live one's life on a sacred, day-to-day level that behooves the glory of God....

She's not so terribly convinced as much as everyone else seems to be that Jesus had a "side."
"winning the battle, but losing the war" ...... Am not sure how you meant this. I could go in several directions. I'll break this down into 2 parts.
  1. "winning the battle"....
    • It does seem that way. The problem arises from the fact that logic\fairness and God are direct opposites, so it appears to [as you put it] one who has "no dog in the fight" that this would be a never ending tennis match. You're attempting to make logical sense out of God by people's well intentioned pro \ con points of view.
  2. ....."but losing the war"
    • Am not sure what you are meaning by phrasing it this way. Again, logic\fairness and God are direct opposites. Logic would dictate this sentiment but God say's the true believer has already "won the war".
June, you will never understand the fuller meaning of God's Word nor come to believe in Christ while being epistemological about the importance of faith; and faith in his word for salvation. Here's what I mean being epistemological; we know that you you are a non-believer yet June (a non-believer) believes that by

"June's reading of the NT....finds far more about how to live one's life on a sacred, day-to-day level that behooves the glory of God.... "

God's Word says just the contrary.... "without faith it is impossible to please God" Hebrews 11:6 Frankly, there is no glory of God in the unbeliever....in this life or in the next.

The opportunity for faith is for this life only....not something which extends into the next.

Last edited by twin.spin; 06-24-2010 at 04:09 PM..

Old 06-24-2010, 03:16 PM

7,812 posts, read 10,704,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber
Have you ever thought that maybe God hooked you up with the Christianity forum so one day you would see something that would help you hear the knocking ?
June knows she found herself wondering at one point in the not-so-far ancient past whether something was compelling her to 'connect the music with the band,' but alas, such days have long since past.

If your God existed, and if he decided to use a message board to "knock" via my broadband internet connection, then that would certainly give June pause...

Old 06-24-2010, 03:18 PM

7,812 posts, read 10,704,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Of course God loves June...but in order for June's sins to be forgiven, she must love Him too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
She will.
What!?

Old 06-24-2010, 03:28 PM

5,925 posts, read 5,838,255 times
Quote:
What!?

Do you believe Love matters June, whether we can prove that there is an after life or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or