U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-25-2010, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Florida
63,153 posts, read 34,396,206 times
Reputation: 10502

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
accepting Jesus Christ NOW is what UR teaches as the only way to salvation........

....... The goal is to get as many saved here in this life to avoid God's wrath in the next life.
So, you are saying that accepting Jesus Christ NOW as your personal saviour is what UR teaches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2010, 07:18 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 10,019,043 times
Reputation: 58210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, you are saying that accepting Jesus Christ NOW as your personal saviour is what UR teaches?
Yes, that's what I'm saying. That's my goal, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2010, 07:37 AM
 
3,553 posts, read 4,474,139 times
Reputation: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Yes, that's what I'm saying. That's my goal, anyway.
UR teaches that there will be more chances, or 'ages', than to accept Christ now, in the flesh. But this isn't what the scriptures teach, is it?

Search your heart. Search for God.

Read Romans 6. Study it, and show me what you have discovered.

To sin IS death, period. There is no ifs, ands, or buts about it. That is the wage, and it WILL BE PAID!! It isn't talking about flesh only either. Jesus made this CLEAR.

Listen to what Paul says. MANKIND's sentence of death can only be nullified THROUGH Jesus,,,NOW!!!!

Look:

But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life.

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Can you see what Paul is saying, plainly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2010, 07:39 AM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,842,576 times
Reputation: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
June,
I will certianly agree on this point with you:
"The non-stop arguing, contentiousness, and (at times) downright nastiness reflects poorly."

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||



Your question...ET v. UR AND LIFE NOW: is answered by this NT passage: Hebrews 11:6

LIFE NOW....
Is it possible to be morale \ cleancut \ be charitable \ a sweet old lady \ and at peace ..... yes

Is that God pleasing enough to make into heaven?

God says....No.

"without faith it is impossible to please God" Hebrews 11:6

UR would will have you believe it this way:

"without faith it is still possible to please God...for nothing is impossible for God"

You may not understand for quite possibly you chosen not to, but God's Word Hebrews 11:6 is not "on the same side of the coin" as UR.

This is legalistic religious ideology, spiritually june has as much faith as you do simply because she believes Love matters.

For God is love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2010, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,965 posts, read 5,766,117 times
Reputation: 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
One of the reasons I take the time to argue against ET doctrine is that it does (by nature) put an emphasis on the afterlife. I mean really - what good does any kindness do if it doesn't lead directly to helping a soul avoid an eternally bad forever?

The ET paradigm screws everything up so badly. When you say "far more essential and far reaching issues at hand to be dealt with than "after death."" well, in the ET paradigm nothing is more important than where you spend eternity. How could it be? What good does it do to help a little old lady across the street if she dies burns in hell forever?

That's why I got out of the church system. It (generally) obsesses on believing the right doctrines to make God happy and to turn away wrath etc.
Exactly, Firstborn. I could not have said it better.

Heartsong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2010, 08:04 AM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,842,576 times
Reputation: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
UR teaches that there will be more chances, or 'ages', than to accept Christ now, in the flesh. But this isn't what the scriptures teach, is it?

Not really

First religion asserts that it has something to do with "Chances" when it is not about that in the first place. You might justify using those terms but the "Scriptures" do not speak of it being about chances.


Scriptures teach assurance.

Can you assure someone that God loves them enough that there eternal destiny is in his hands and ultimatly and totally that is the greatest news concerning death?


No, really you can't, but the scriptures do teach assurance, not "Chances".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2010, 08:08 AM
 
1,897 posts, read 1,772,538 times
Reputation: 264
Sciotamicks, you didn't answer my question. Here it is again:

OK. You called my statement that you and others believe, "Nothing is impossible with God except to save all mankind," is an assumption. Is my assumption correct that you believe that, or do you, instead, believe it is indeed possible for God to save all mankind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
I don't follow you...I never said I would cite a source. I wasn't addressing this topic.
You quoted me with this: If I'm wrong, please cite a reliable source of UR beliefs saying that it is possible to PLEASE God without faith.

....and then commented below it, so I was pointing out that you didn't address what you quoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
No...I called your usage of 1 Tim 2:4 and the thought above an assumption. 1 Tim 2:4 has nothing to do with what you present.

I would prefer to invoke Isa 9:7, because 1 Tim 2 :4 has nothing to do with what you present. The kingdom increases, therefore it confirms election...again.

I know, when we see such statements as you made in regards to the above verse and your assumptions. Get used to it.
Are we even talking about the same post? I didn't even quote 1 Tim 2:4. But since you keep bringing it up, I have a question for you. That verse says that God would have all men to be saved and come unto the knowledge of the truth. I've seen many people post on the forum that all men will come unto the knowledge of the truth, and will regret all their mistakes while they are in hell after this realization. Why do people choose which half of this verse to believe, and have no problem believing that ALL men will come to the knowledge of the truth, but refuse to believe that ALL men will be saved?

Last edited by Bright Hope for Tomorrow; 06-25-2010 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2010, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Florida
63,153 posts, read 34,396,206 times
Reputation: 10502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Is my assumption correct that you believe that, or do you, instead, believe it is indeed possible for God to save all mankind?
Save all mankind? UR teaches that accepting Jesus Christ NOW is the only way to salvation, and I tend to agree with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2010, 10:08 AM
 
1,897 posts, read 1,772,538 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Save all mankind? UR teaches that accepting Jesus Christ NOW is the only way to salvation, and I tend to agree with that.
If you accept Jesus now, you are freed from the bondage of sin, being led by the Holy Spirit and free to live a life of faith, love, peace, and good works.

You reap what you sow. No ones sows setting someone on fire for eternity. It's impossible. So therefore, it's impossible to reap that.

Jesus died to save us from our sins and spiritual death. That's what we are saved from. The bible does not say we are saved from eternal torment. "The wages of sin are death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2010, 10:17 AM
 
702 posts, read 833,438 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
NO, accepting Jesus Christ NOW is what UR teaches as the only way to salvation. There is no salvation after death, only reconciliation after a time of refining. Those who do not accept Christ now will go into the afterlife to some kind of punishment. It is not eternal as you like to teach, it is only for a time and it most likely will be very unpleasant.
So that is the extent of Christ's atonement for sinners: He provided a satisfaction for God's wrath that we could provide ourselves in the next life anyway? If that were true, then Christ is not our only hope of salvation; our own sufferings, too, will provide us a way out.

This is one of the problems with UR, at least the way that you have explained it: It puts Christ on the same level as sinners in terms of the ability to atone for sin. But the very thing that makes Christ's redemptive work so necessary and crucial for us is the fact that he was sinless while we are sinful. Only a sinless lamb could be sacrificed acceptably to God. We, being sinful, cannot suffer for our sins in such a way that would satisfy the wrath of God. That inability is actually what makes it eternal. Only the sinless Lamb of God could suffer in such a way as to make a full payment for sin that satisfies the wrath of God completely.

Ilene, you are effectively believing that man can propitiate God apart from Christ. Do you realize that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top