U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:42 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,693,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Let's me repeat: the core message of the Gospel is that one needs to be born again to have eternal life

You can research what 'born again' means, if it is unclear to you.
You can also research what "eternal life" is and it is to know God and his son...

That doesn't contain an afterlife reference... and since we have no proof of anything after this life... well living shouldn't be about after you die.

I share June's perplexity about this whole afterlife thing..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 10:48 AM

987 posts, read 910,979 times
I agree, June, great question. and I think it has been pretty clearly answered. If you are living day to day and trying to witness for a God who keeps score, and/or expects certain beliefs/attitudes in you BEFORE you die and this all determines the afterlife.....how DO you enjoy that life if you are constantly worried about what you say, do, think? Tho there is ALWAYS a possibility that one who tried to live a 'good' life merely because of how it affected the 'afterlife', might stop living according to rules, I believe that person's heart will eventually return to His walk and this time out of pure love and gratitude with NO fear of how He will be treated/punished upon death or mourn/worry/fret about those who died before you. or your rebellious child(ren) who may NEVER turn to God/Christ in this lifetime, no matter how hard you pray or admonish them..

It IS important HOW we live life, you will NOT be in the overcomer company and rule and reign with Christ for a period of time, perhaps may not even be resurrected during that period, but it is my belief that it IS God who works in anyone to will and to do good works and that anything done in our own strength and our own devising will be considered wood, hay or stubble and be burned, tho the sinner himself will be saved, so as by fire.

As an atheist, you can live and enjoy life with very little to no thought of how you will have to answer for it/be rewarded on judgment day. Those who believe in a judgment day need to know that God will discipline, refine, etc. but it is done with LOVE and for the benefit of the recipient, not for vengeful, punishment purposes only. So THIS is why this message is SO important. Paul did mention that the message he preached was likely to cause some to feel a license to sin...yet he continued to present the message in the way it was given to him by the Lord. It is for the comfort of those who have lost loved ones who never recognized God or Jesus, or died in rebellion of one sort or another and to draw nonbelievers to a God who loves them and cares for them and will NEVER count them unworthy of His love or concern or interest in their future.

I know several atheists, and contrary to many believers on here who state that if we have no fear of retribution we can sin all we want, all of these individuals live their lives to help others, obey the law, etc. I wish we could ALL live each moment in utter joy for ourselves and our loved ones, and even our most vile enemies, knowing that God has it all under control, is bringing us all to the place He wants us to be.

Wow, sorry about the rambling. Hopping down off my soapbox and may YOU and all of us ENJOY the beauty of the present.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:57 AM

1,897 posts, read 1,775,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I share June's perplexity about this whole afterlife thing..
I think that for those of us who do not believe in eternal torture, it makes sense to live our lives now with joy and going about doing good as Jesus did, and not thinking too much about the afterlife since we know God is in control of that. For those who believe in ET, nothing else should matter. If you have a choice of spending a pretty day at the lake with your family, or even feeding a hungry person, vs. saying something to prevent another person from burning for eternity, the choice should be clear. If the believers in ET really took it to heart, they wouldn't have time for anything else because nothing else would matter.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:02 AM

10,517 posts, read 10,349,879 times
You know what's interesting to me June, is how everybody who claims to be Christian and belongs to one denomination or another seems to know what's going to happen in the afterlife because it's written in some book, nobody really knows what's going to happen after one passes over to the other side, because nobody has ever come back to tell you, all the writings about the afterlife is mere speculation. Live your life for today for tomorrow is not guaranteed, how you treat people in this life determines how you are treated in this life. I do not worry about my life on the other side because I know nothing about that, I concern myself with how I treat people in this life and how I live my life in this time and that is more important. Treat people with respect.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:12 AM

63,306 posts, read 34,497,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Let me repeat.

What happens to June if she dies on earth not believing what you teach? More love?

The answer is YES. but of course you cannot answer that question YES, you answer NO.
YES to what? NO to what? I have no idea what you are talking about. If there was a YES/NO question, I sure did not see it.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

God's love indeed. He loved us so much that he sent his son to save those who will believe.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-23-2010 at 12:22 PM..

Old 06-23-2010, 11:36 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,850,921 times
Quote:
YES to what? NO to what? I have no idea what you are talking about. If there was a YES/NO question, I sure did not see it.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

God's love indeed. He loved us so much that he sent his sons to save those who will believe.

Yes, more Love for June if she dies not believing what you teach.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Please, stick to the topic. There are plenty of threads concerning being "saved" or not...this is not one of them.

...and anyone who asks, with a pure heart, for Jesus to come into their heart and teach them and guide them in the way they should go, IS saved at that point...end of discussion.......

...now, back to the topic....

Indeed, in this life, or the next.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:28 PM

63,306 posts, read 34,497,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Yes, more Love for June if she dies not believing what you teach.
Believe it or not, but it is not about me.

You think I wrote this?

You knowingly reject this message, and that is between you and your maker. It is not what I teach, it is what the Bible teaches.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Believe it or not, but it is not about me.

You think I wrote this?

You knowingly reject this message, and that is between you and your maker. It is not what I teach, it is what the Bible teaches.

No, I believe in Jesus, and all will believe in Jesus even you and June.

I reject your message, and it is your message, you did not write the verse, but YOU write what intepretation of the verse you agree with.

Jihn 3:16 is a simple statement of fact and assurance, since all will believe, none perish.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:51 PM

11,826 posts, read 10,197,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Please forgive, in advance, for the seeming stupidity of the question that June is about to ask. Lord knows she's been moderating this subforum since it's inception, but lately there is one aspect that somewhat rather baffles her...

Time and again she can't help but wonder: What's the deal with "after death?" . However....

but truly, folks: Does not the intense focus on who goes where and why after death almost serve a purpose of taking away and negating what life as a Christian is, or means, in the present?)

So to anyone who cares to respond, please:

So why no unity in life, but only division regarding after life? What about life?

~To those who respond, thanks in advance!

Take gentle care.
Am I understanding this correctly....your post, is about:
"What's the deal with "after death?"

or about

"taking away and negating what life as a Christian is, or means, in the present?"

What are you focusing on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or