U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 08:11 AM

32,301 posts, read 21,149,668 times

Advertisements

June

You only have to listen to someone to know what they truly believe , obviously on a forum we are reading not listening to what someone really believes.

I have said this before and will say it again , a lot of what you post is more in the Spirit of the scriptures than much of what is being posted by christians.And i am not talking solely about the ET UR debate

A parodox ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 10:06 AM

5,302 posts, read 5,440,195 times
So the real question is June, from either POV, how would any of us convince you to accept the faith as one you would follow?

Am I correct?

Old 06-28-2010, 10:42 AM

1,897 posts, read 1,773,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Frankly there is nothing to accept or reject in UR. You tell everyone that they are all going to heaven no matter what, so there nothing to do except shrug and say "all righty then, - if you say so".
This indicates that you believe there is something TO DO, which means people help save themselves. Christ alone is not enough with this belief, and salvation would not be a full work of God. One can boast, "Look what I DID!"

Old 06-28-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Yes, I know you'd rather pick Lennon than orthodox Christianity, but we are not talking about you, are we? Can atheists choose God's version of love as described in the Bible, while rejecting both God and the Bible? Perhaps, but it won't do them much good because in God's eye they are unrighteous as long as they are unbelievers, and righteous deeds done by unrighteous people are like filthy rags in God's eye.
Also, righteous deeds, self-righteous deeds, or unrighteous deeds done by people who think they are righteous are like filthy rags in God's eyes. Good thing He loves all enough to cleanse those filthy rags for us, since we are unable to do it ourselves.

Isaiah 64:6- All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away

Old 06-28-2010, 10:53 AM

63,184 posts, read 34,417,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
This indicates that you believe there is something TO DO, which means people help save themselves. Christ alone is not enough with this belief, and salvation would not be a full work of God. One can boast, "Look what I DID!"
Salvation is work of God, but it won't take place if you reject it.

This is what Jesus one must do:

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. -Christ Luke 7:13

Old 06-28-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Also, self-righteous deeds or unrighteous deeds done by people who think they are righteous are like filthy rags in God's eyes.
Are you judging me? Are you accusing me of being self-righteous? Would you mind quoting the post which gave you the reason to do so. Thank you.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:55 AM

7,813 posts, read 10,713,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I have said this before and will say it again , a lot of what you post is more in the Spirit of the scriptures than much of what is being posted by christians.And i am not talking solely about the ET UR debate

A parodox ???
~You are very sweet to say that.

June wouldn't know whether it's a paradox, or not, or whether it's "just June."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
So the real question is June, from either POV, how would any of us convince you to accept the faith as one you would follow?

Am I correct?
June is at a loss as to how you could convince her to accept "the faith" as one that she could follow. --It is especially confusing (even after 36 pages of this thread) for anyone to determine WHICH of your two "faiths" (ET vs. UR) would be "the correct one" for an individual to follow. As such, it seems to June that perhaps she's better off where she is, and she'll take her chances on the 'ending up in hell' front!

Besides, June has the feeling that even if she did somehow decide to become a believer, "there would be hell to pay" in the event she chose the "wrong side" based on what she's been reading lately. Ya know?

Take gentle "who knows?" care.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Isaiah 64:6- All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away
As I already said, he was talking about Israel because they rejected God, but it applies to everyone who rejects Him.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Salvation is work of God, but it won't take place if you reject it.

This is what Jesus one must do:

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. -Christ Luke 7:13
It's a parable, Finn. This destruction doesn't mean burning in hell. That's what you and most of us were taught, but the whole hell thing is based on misinterpretations of parables and symbolism. You should study every scripture through the filter of the fact that God IS love. This statement in scripture was not a parable or some futurist prophecy of things to come. These kind of imperative statements are what should be written in our hearts as truth, and then secondarily, we can study parables and prophecies. Doing this backwards has led to the misunderstandings and assassinations of God's character.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Are you judging me? Are you accusing me of being self-righteous? Would you mind quoting the post which gave you the reason to do so. Thank you.
No. I was talking about anyone who is self-righteous,so if you felt convicted by it, it wasn't me doing the convicting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or