Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 01:10 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
You can stand by your interpretation that God will set people on fire forever if you'd like. That's your choice.
Yes, I choose to believe the words of Jesus Christ. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 01:42 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
...So after 30 pages of ongoing, ongoing, ongoing, June has just one ittsy bitsy, simple little question:

Is she going to hell, or not?

June, this is what I believe. (I don't speak for any particular group of people.)

The word "hell" in the bible was translated from the words below:

Gehenna: A garbage dump outside of Jerusalem - That's your choice whether or not to go there. It is now a beautiful garden.

Tartarus: Prison for some fallen angels - Safe to say you're not going there.

Sheol/Hades: The grave, or the place of dead spirits - Before Jesus died and rose again, everyone went there, but now only unbelievers do.

Jesus died on the cross to pay the "wages" of sin, and to give us life. "The wages of sin are death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." If we believe in Jesus and become a child of God, we "never die." Of course our bodies do, but our spirits don't, so when we leave this earth we go to be with the Lord, and the "eternal life" continues which started when we came to "know Him." (John 17:3 says, "For this is eternal life, that they may know God and Jesus Christ whom He sent.") However, if you do not "know Him," both your body and spirit will go to Sheol to await the resurrection of the dead and judgment.

Will you be thrown into the lake of fire? The bible says all unbelievers will, BUT it's not a real fire. It is symbolic, just like the Lamb mentioned in Revelation. No one knows exactly what that is (obviously), and I don't think anyone thinks it's pleasant, and the bible says believers won't be hurt by it.

If you are a believer now, you are saved from the penalty of sin and death, because Jesus paid the price in your place. If you become a believer after death (which will not be by faith, but by sight), you had to pay the penalty of death, and then will pay the penalty of sin. However, it's not physical torture, but a process of spiritual correction whereby God will reconcile unrepentent sinners and unbelievers to Himself, as He conquers sin and death. This is because God is Love. He loves each and every person and will not lose any who He created.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:40 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You choose to believe the words of Jesus' parables according to the interpretation you've been taught. His words that you think doom people to hell are parables, and the meanings should be tested against the truth of God's character. Look at this one, that you ETers quote all the time. Realize that the word "for" can be rightly substituted with the word "because," and now ask yourself how this particular parable lines up with your belief that you will burn in fire forever if you don't believe in Jesus.

Matthew 25:

41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 BECAUSE I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

Old 06-26-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
You choose to believe the words of Jesus' parables according to the interpretation you've been taught.
Thanks for telling me what I believe and for explaining the reason why I believe it. But then again, maybe that is something I know better than you. Thanks for trying anyway.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:28 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Actually,you choose to believe what other people ( the biblical writers) claim Jesus said.But,hey,let's not bother with whether or not folks frying in eternal flames of torment meshes with the concept of unconditional love as taught by Jesus.Far be it for fundies to exhibit any independent thought.Being told what to believe is just so much easier and requires less courage.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:30 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,434,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post

All of yOur words are nothing but a worthless and unsupportable attempt to deflect the issue of why the Gospel isn't made more readily evident to ALL the world so that there would be no question about every person having an opportunity to decide based on true knowledge.Nice try,but folks who can think for themselves instead of being willing to swallow whatever nonsense their spiritual masters tell them won't buy it.Nonthinkers may though.
Ahhhh...another rejection of the scriptures....

Old 06-26-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Ahhhh...another rejection of the scriptures....
True.So what?I think for myself;I don't depend on others to tell me what to believe.When people tell me that it is scriptural that God told the Jews to kill babies ,and to take women captives as sex slaves,I stop and ask if this is really how God would act.

Why don't you?

Old 06-26-2010, 05:37 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,434,005 times
Quote:
True. So what?
Enough said...carry on!

Old 06-26-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Far be it for fundies to exhibit any independent thought.Being told what to believe is just so much easier and requires less courage.
How about you go with your own thoughts, and I go with the Bible. Deal?

Old 06-26-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Enough said...carry on!
So you lack the courage to quote my entire post and then respond?

Oh well,character shown.Carry on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity