U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 12:00 AM

1,411 posts, read 2,162,979 times

Advertisements

For God so loved the world, that he gave his ONLY BEGOTTEN Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again... (John 10:17-18)

"And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple." (Luke 14:27)

It also seems like Jesus is teaching us that we have a choice/freewill to take up our cross . . . or not . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 12:01 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,267,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
And do you think it was not pointing to something greater, lifesigns?
There is nothing that is greater then JESUS CHRIST !!! He is the Alpha and Omega.....the Great 'I AM' !!!
No one can add or subtract from Him.... period !!

End of story.....

Old 06-24-2010, 12:02 AM

1,411 posts, read 2,162,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
There is nothing that is greater then JESUS CHRIST !!! He is the Alpha and Omega.....the Great 'I AM' !!!

End of story.....

Old 06-24-2010, 12:20 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,768,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
I am not talking about chronologically here when I say fence posts . . .

I am trying to state . . . what is Jesus message . . . in all that he taught . . he was a teacher, teaching a message . . . and his message on how to gain eternal life . . . was clear . . . . and if you didn't understand, he spoke in parables . . . . I wish he preached on UR . . . that all will have eternal life forever, regardless of their faith . . . . what did Jesus teach????
It is so clear. It really is, but there are people who don't want to believe it. I truly, truly don't understand how anyone who wants to know the truth can deliberately deny this. It baffles me.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:22 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,768,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post

End of story.....
Amen! But there will be people on here who deny His deity.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:56 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,765,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
I'll take my "chances" that when I meet God face to face and bow before Him and worship Him, that He'll be pleased with me for not accusing Him of being - not just a murderer of people who are eventually put out of their misery - but a torturer - a being that sets people on fire and never allows the fire to be put out. I'll take my "chances" that I know the true and living God who is Love.
Amen! That takes true faith - to trust in God's absolute goodness and mercy. Anyone can try to obey him out of terror - but does that bring God any pleasure? I suppose the terror of the Lord has its place for the wicked though. But I say that so long as the heir is a child, he differs nothing from a bond-servant though he is lord of all - Galatians 4:1

Old 06-24-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
I think one of the greatest lies ever told is that God DOES NOT justify the ungodly (Rom 4:5). The ETer's started preaching this lie shortly after Gen 3:21.
So true! I'm amazed at how thoroughly tight the grave clothes are bound around those who unwittingly wander inside the Babylonian system. (Picture a mummy wrapped up with lengths of tight cloth) -- A picture of being in bondage to Egypt! - that is what it is like to be in the clutches of the wh*re/church's up-side-down, carnal mindset.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. Blaise Pascal

Old 06-24-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Back to the topic. I hope many out there will especially prayerfully pay attention to the below quote from the article herefornow posted. May the following bless you in a profound way. Father, I ask that you open up some eyes this beautiful evening and give someone out there the hope they are looking for. Father, I humbly ask that you use this brother's words to speak to one or more of your beautiful children out there who may be right where you want them to be, their hearts open to receive. :

QUOTE:

Would you like to know the heart of God as Jesus prayed and as Paul desired? Study to show yourself approved!

Secondly, God has called us to be overcomers in this world. But how are we to do this? The philosophy of the world is to overcome by strength and might—do whatever it takes to get ahead—look out for number one, and if that means hurting people climbing up the ladder of success, then so be it. But is this to be our way? Do Christians overcome by strength and shrewdness? Paul said,

If your enemy is hungry, give him food; if he is thirsty, quench his thirst. For by doing this you will be heaping burning coals upon his head. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome the evil with goodness. (Rom 13:20, 21)

We are to overcome our enemies by love and goodness. Isn’t this exactly how God dealt with us?

Or is it that you think slightingly of His infinite goodness, forbearance and patience, unaware that the goodness of God is gently drawing you to repentance? (Rom 2:4) Doesn’t God make his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust? (Matt 5:45) Why does God do this? Why does He return evil with good? He does so because He loves us and wants to bring us to repentance.

The perfect example in Scripture of overcoming evil with good is the Cross. This is God’s way. Paul said the Cross is foolishness to the world because it’s a symbol of weakness and lowliness (1 Cor. 1). Instead of conquering the world and all its evil through power and vengeance, the Lord chose the most humiliating means anyone could ever imagine. The Cross is the perfect picture of love. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son…. This was God’s choice for how He would overcome evil. It would not be through the strong arm of vengeance, but through the goodness and love of the Cross. And it is this same path of humiliation that our Lord commands us to trod. We will overcome the world, the flesh, and the devil through the Cross—the perfect expression of God’s goodness.

John Milton said, “He who overcomes by force hath overcome but half his foe.” No one doubts that God can subdue the world by force. Anyone who can speak this world into existence with just a word can certainly wipe out all His enemies with the same. And at the same time, anyone who is powerful enough to turn the hearts of kings and use entire nations to accomplish His will, is also powerful enough to win His entire creation by love. But by which way is God going to reconcile the world? (Col. 1:20; Phil 2:10, 11) Will He accomplish it by force or love? At the end of the day, when all has been reconciled to God, what will we be able to say about the Creator; that He, with great force and vengeance, suffered most of His creation to endless torments, or that He overcame all that was evil in the world with eternal goodness, kindness, and love? Which do you think is the greater work for an all-powerful, sovereign God: forcing most of the world to bow in submission and then tormenting them forever, or through the love of the Cross, win all His lost and wayward children back to Himself again? Which do you think brings more glory to God?

And what does that say about how we are to live on this earth? If our God can’t overcome evil with good, how can He expect us to do the same? When we are faced with adversity, why should we respond in love, when our God, in the end, fails to do the same? Why should we forgive seventy times seven when there will come a time when God will not forgive most of those He created for ever and ever? Why should we turn the other cheek and not render evil for evil, when God, who is supposed to be good, renders evil with evil?
---------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the gentle reminder of how we are to live. It is a trial for our flesh to remain humble when people are cursing and damning us to hell. Yet we know that it is only done because of the bondage of fear. And we know that we shall not use intimidation and threats to overcome those who hate what God has shown us. Thank you again, Sparrow for reminding me to keep myself humble before God.

Heartsong

Old 06-24-2010, 01:27 AM

4,247 posts, read 658,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the gentle reminder of how we are to live. It is a trial for our flesh to remain humble when people are cursing and damning us to hell. Yet we know that it is only done because of the bondage of fear. And we know that we shall not use intimidation and threats to overcome those who hate what God has shown us. Thank you again, Sparrow for reminding me to keep myself humble before God.

Heartsong

Old 06-24-2010, 07:29 AM

1,079 posts, read 771,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Well, that's not going to help her see the love of God, is it?
Maybe your right but at times I get so ticked at the blindness of some people. Seems they don't want to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity