Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 05:23 AM

12 posts, read 14,717 times

Advertisements

My youngest son is trying to go unitarian. I like the old unitarian ideology, but the new ones - I think - haven't ever been to a service - are all about political activism. Saving the planet is just as burdensome as saving the expletive lost. I'm not interested in salvation so much as freedom. Actually, the Hebrew word for salvation, that is part of the name of Jesus - YahShua - Yeshua - MEANS Liberation. The little butterfly coming out of the cocoon.

Any place where you can fall in love with other people is good - but you have to hang tough to develop relationships with people, they will have some warts and so will you. I used to think well maybe I could just go to the same bar regularly, like in Cheers - where everyone knows your name - but I get hangovers - and it's not so cool for older women to take that route.

I think people OUGHT to take a sad song and make it better (Hey Jude) - to work to ameliorate suffering in this world - but not to be frenzied about it - all things in moderation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 05:27 AM

6,370 posts, read 6,993,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
Hello. This isn't meant to be Catholic bashing, and I actually have two separate but related questions. I was wondering if anyone was ever a devoted Catholic and then later left that church for any reason? If so, what was your reason? How did it make you feel inside yourself to leave...were you scared you were going to end up in hell?

And similar to that, has anyone ever adopted a different view of Christianity than the one you previously had? I don't mean you stopped believing in Jesus, but something about your spiritual understanding changed? Can you describe your experience.
I went from holding the Roman Catholic view, then to Armstrongism, and now to embracing universalism. That is where my learning took me.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:01 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,762,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
Hello. This isn't meant to be Catholic bashing, and I actually have two separate but related questions. I was wondering if anyone was ever a devoted Catholic and then later left that church for any reason? If so, what was your reason? How did it make you feel inside yourself to leave...were you scared you were going to end up in hell?

And similar to that, has anyone ever adopted a different view of Christianity than the one you previously had? I don't mean you stopped believing in Jesus, but something about your spiritual understanding changed? Can you describe your experience.
I am just about there myself. I'm not seeing the point in all of the empty rituals of the Catholic church...I can't believe that people are judged and lose their salvation for not folliwng the rituals lockstep. Am I really to believe that I'm going straight to hell because I missed a Mass last week? The church's handling of the pervert priests doesn't help matters either.

I think I'm going to become an independent Christian for a while. After years of thought and prayer, I realize I believe in the biblical view of salvation....trusting Jesus as my savior. But I'm just not a big fan of organized religion at this point. I've been to all different sorts of churches in my lifetime, and was usually turned off for one reason or another. One of these days, I may check out a non-denominational church in my area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity