U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:21 AM

621 posts, read 1,054,376 times

Advertisements

Hello. This isn't meant to be Catholic bashing, and I actually have two separate but related questions. I was wondering if anyone was ever a devoted Catholic and then later left that church for any reason? If so, what was your reason? How did it make you feel inside yourself to leave...were you scared you were going to end up in hell?

And similar to that, has anyone ever adopted a different view of Christianity than the one you previously had? I don't mean you stopped believing in Jesus, but something about your spiritual understanding changed? Can you describe your experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 09:25 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,420,585 times
I personally havent. but i do know someone who was a devote catholic and now go to a methodist church.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:27 AM

Do you know why they left?

Old 06-24-2010, 10:32 AM

13,577 posts, read 21,740,713 times
Speaking only for myself as I truly believe that everyone's personal relationship with Him is not the exact as anyone else..That is just the "humaness" in us..

As I matured, or rather my faith grew in Him and I began to listen to the words He put into my heart, I began to drift further from the doctrine's of the many different religions, denominations simply because I began to see the "stamp of man" on them instead of the light and love of Christ.. His simple words of "My yoke is easy and my burden is light" seemed to pop into my head each and every time someone told me I HAD to do this, that or the other in order to be "saved". Man just seemed to be making Christ very hard to know and understand and their teachings were very burdensome..When I finally realized that there was a great and wonderful gift placed within myself as Christ promised, I humbly, prayerfully "opened my heart to that gift and the blessing of peace and love in knowing that I had a friend more dear than anything all the different doctrines of Christianity in this this world could give me..
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio

Old 06-25-2010, 09:38 AM

Hi Miss Blue. I think it's interesting you mentioned what Jesus said about "My yoke is easy and my burden light", because I have always remembered that, too, when reflecting on how there seem to be all these rules telling you to "do this or that", or "be this way or that way".

After a long process of inquiring about the Catholic church, and ultimately finding that I agree with some of the teachings of the church, I've likewise found I'm not sure I agree with all of them. For several years I have been delaying the conversion process which involves RCIA classes. In trying to think about why I kept putting it off, I think I've come to realize it's because I believe the church makes it too hard to simply be a Christian. In my mind, they make you "jump through hoops" and it seems counter to the simple message of Jesus. I recently went to a Catholic website and asked why it took so long, stating that I wanted to partake of communion and understood the core requirements that had to be accepted before I could do that in the Catholic church. One person said it sounded like all I wanted to do was take something from the church without giving anything in return. It hurt and offended me, and made me feel as though I was being self-centered for simply wanting to receive the body and blood of the Lord. That person's comment contributed to me now feeling completely turned me off to the Catholic church. I can't even think about wanting to look for any church, or pursue truth, because I get all these thoughts in my head that I'm being self-centered. I don't understand how wanting to have a stronger relationship with the Lord, and fellowship with other believers, means I'm only interested in taking something from the church without giving in return. I thought part of wanting to be a Christian meant being concerned about your soul's salvation...?

I wanted to write this thread to see if anyone else had left the church, and perhaps no longer goes to church at all - or maybe they have found a different (deeper...??) spirituality that still acknowledges the teachings and truth of Jesus (including the crucifixion and resurrection), but aren't caught up in all the administered rituals and dogma of most churches. Or perhaps they have left the Catholic church...maybe Orthodox or Anglican, etc...and found a "simpler" church that isn't so structured and inflexible? I find myself in a bit of an awkward position of seeking a life of Christian truth, but I prefer a more "subdued and solemn" worship experience which still allows me to be who I am, with my different insights about things...but where the worship isn't so rote. I simply believe the scripted liturgical rituals of mainline Churches can be rather hollow because they seem dictated instead of flowing freely from a spirit of love and a heart of desire to commune with the Lord. "Say this after the pastor says that"...."Stand at this point, kneel when he says this". What's the point? That doesn't mean I believe in confusion where everyone is trying to talk at once, singing while others are preaching, shouting in the pews while others are praying silently, etc. But if my worship experience is going to consist of following the same scripted pattern of reading from a program handed out at the door each Sunday (or Saturday, depending on whether you think Christians should worship on the true Sabbath), then I can't help but feel the worship is done out of duty. Am I wrong?

Old 06-25-2010, 01:06 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,773,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Speaking only for myself as I truly believe that everyone's personal relationship with Him is not the exact as anyone else..That is just the "humaness" in us..

As I matured, or rather my faith grew in Him and I began to listen to the words He put into my heart, I began to drift further from the doctrine's of the many different religions, denominations simply because I began to see the "stamp of man" on them instead of the light and love of Christ.. His simple words of "My yoke is easy and my burden is light" seemed to pop into my head each and every time someone told me I HAD to do this, that or the other in order to be "saved". Man just seemed to be making Christ very hard to know and understand and their teachings were very burdensome..When I finally realized that there was a great and wonderful gift placed within myself as Christ promised, I humbly, prayerfully "opened my heart to that gift and the blessing of peace and love in knowing that I had a friend more dear than anything all the different doctrines of Christianity in this this world could give me..
Wow, Miss Blue! Awesome and inspiring words.

I used to believe God would eternally burn people in hell for not believing the way most of us do in the bible belt, because that's what I was taught. I now know Love is capable of no such thing.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:34 PM

13,577 posts, read 21,740,713 times
Shymonkey, I do not desire to tell anyone where they should attend to meet with like minded people so far as your beliefs are concerned..I have said again and again on these forums that if we are "in Christ and Christ is in us, we are the church..For some it is important to meet during the week to worship and sing praises together..for others perhaps rituals put them in touch with Him, others may feel His presence stronger in a quiet place somewhere in the beauty of His nature around us..

I sincerely believe that if you have a burning desire to meet with others in a building to worship him, you should visit different denominational services in your community and you will know when you are at the right place where God desires you to allow your gifts to be used.. He will let you feel at home there..Who knows the purpose of where God places you may be because of just one person in that building who needs something you can spiritually give, lead, show him?

Cyber hugs and prayers that need no frills, rules, or electronics to be heard beyond space and time that you will find what brings you peace in the Lord.
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio

Old 06-25-2010, 02:33 PM

8,114 posts, read 7,089,887 times
The keY to taking on a new life is some other type of Church of Jesus Christ is to sincerely forgive all oughts against the former church and bless the former Church with all your heart because Jesus Christ is still there, even after you may leave .......And it will give Jesus honor when you may leave and bless the former Church...... There are many people who left churches like that are turning away from the world and rebuke the former Church and become rebels in the Church of Jesus Christ, Who Church engage together against the former church and build rebellion ideas against the former church and new converts that come these Churches of Rebels may have to leave these rebels Churches to find Peace in the Lord Jesus..... Just bless the Pope and bless the Priest and friars and other workers of the former church and let it go, and give it to the Lord and look to the new ideas of New Churches.... Be Blessed......

Old 06-25-2010, 02:49 PM

4,260 posts, read 662,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
Hi Miss Blue. I think it's interesting you mentioned what Jesus said about "My yoke is easy and my burden light", because I have always remembered that, too, when reflecting on how there seem to be all these rules telling you to "do this or that", or "be this way or that way".

After a long process of inquiring about the Catholic church, and ultimately finding that I agree with some of the teachings of the church, I've likewise found I'm not sure I agree with all of them. For several years I have been delaying the conversion process which involves RCIA classes. In trying to think about why I kept putting it off, I think I've come to realize it's because I believe the church makes it too hard to simply be a Christian. In my mind, they make you "jump through hoops" and it seems counter to the simple message of Jesus. I recently went to a Catholic website and asked why it took so long, stating that I wanted to partake of communion and understood the core requirements that had to be accepted before I could do that in the Catholic church. One person said it sounded like all I wanted to do was take something from the church without giving anything in return. It hurt and offended me, and made me feel as though I was being self-centered for simply wanting to receive the body and blood of the Lord. That person's comment contributed to me now feeling completely turned me off to the Catholic church. I can't even think about wanting to look for any church, or pursue truth, because I get all these thoughts in my head that I'm being self-centered. I don't understand how wanting to have a stronger relationship with the Lord, and fellowship with other believers, means I'm only interested in taking something from the church without giving in return. I thought part of wanting to be a Christian meant being concerned about your soul's salvation...?

I wanted to write this thread to see if anyone else had left the church, and perhaps no longer goes to church at all - or maybe they have found a different (deeper...??) spirituality that still acknowledges the teachings and truth of Jesus (including the crucifixion and resurrection), but aren't caught up in all the administered rituals and dogma of most churches. Or perhaps they have left the Catholic church...maybe Orthodox or Anglican, etc...and found a "simpler" church that isn't so structured and inflexible? I find myself in a bit of an awkward position of seeking a life of Christian truth, but I prefer a more "subdued and solemn" worship experience which still allows me to be who I am, with my different insights about things...but where the worship isn't so rote. I simply believe the scripted liturgical rituals of mainline Churches can be rather hollow because they seem dictated instead of flowing freely from a spirit of love and a heart of desire to commune with the Lord. "Say this after the pastor says that"...."Stand at this point, kneel when he says this". What's the point? That doesn't mean I believe in confusion where everyone is trying to talk at once, singing while others are preaching, shouting in the pews while others are praying silently, etc. But if my worship experience is going to consist of following the same scripted pattern of reading from a program handed out at the door each Sunday (or Saturday, depending on whether you think Christians should worship on the true Sabbath), then I can't help but feel the worship is done out of duty. Am I wrong?
Hi and welcome to the forum .... I know exactly what you are saying and I commend you on wanting to seek God and our Lord Jesus Christ - to me it seems that focus at some stage seems to go to becoming a christian and off Christ as our Saviour.

I had exactly that feeling of being a performing seal of following the pastor in when to sing and what to believe. At present I do not attend a church - I can see that for community there is a need for gathering with believers but sometimes it seems to me that the focus gets to be on becoming a baptist or catholic or methodist and learning doctrines, and rites instead of being a follower of Christ........

Old 06-25-2010, 03:28 PM

3,540 posts, read 6,086,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
Hello. This isn't meant to be Catholic bashing, and I actually have two separate but related questions. I was wondering if anyone was ever a devoted Catholic and then later left that church for any reason? If so, what was your reason? How did it make you feel inside yourself to leave...were you scared you were going to end up in hell?

And similar to that, has anyone ever adopted a different view of Christianity than the one you previously had? I don't mean you stopped believing in Jesus, but something about your spiritual understanding changed? Can you describe your experience.
You referred to "jumping through hoops" in your later post, and being denied the eucharist.

After an awakening and subsequent spiritual quest, I ended up feeling very much at home in my local Catholic parish.
No one really knew who I was, so I would go to mass and take the eucharist. I later joined the RCIA program, and was eventually asked very gently to wait until I became a full member after the rite of initiation.
I completely understood and respected them for telling me what I should have known.

Being a member in "full communion" is a choice we make, and it comes with some responsibilty as a member of the Church. It really is not just about whatt the Church will give me, but also about what I can give the Church.

"Jumping through hoops" is not a new thing. The early Christians, particularly when they were being pursued and prosecuted, met in homes and even deep in the catacombs of rome. Getting into their services took a bit of "jumping through hoops" too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or