U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:43 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,274,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777 View Post
Romans 5: 1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 3Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.
6You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly.
Romans 6:22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.
Philippians 2:12 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,
Luke 1:77 to give his people the knowledge of salvation through the forgiveness of their sins,
Romans 13:11
And do this, understanding the present time. The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed.

1 Thessalonians 5:8 But since we belong to the day, let us be self-controlled, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet.

1 Thessalonians 5:9
For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Believe you have recieved and believe God will finish His work in you through Jesus Christ to completion.
We confess our sins and ask for mercy and forgiveness and we know we have received mercy and are forgiven because Christ paid the price for our sin and proved He defeated death by His resurrection.
Now, since God has poured His love into our hearts (Jesus Christ), we are free to love God because before Jesus we were separated from God because of our sin.
What is love for God? 1 John 5:3 This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome,
Why are God's commands not burdensome?...because we have unlimited grace (favor) of God in our time of need. And because God knows we are only the dust of the earth and cannot help ourselves, He has given us this promise, the Power of the Holy Spirit(Himself) to help us in every way. The simple fact of calling on the Name above all names, "Jesus", we will be rescued from every evil and act of disobedience towards God.
When we are unfaithful, He is faithful.
When we have no strength, His strength will uphold us.
When we cannot endure, He will give us a way out.
Fullness in Christ that fills everything in everyway.
The road is straight and narrow.
Believe and receive.

God Bless,
Mercy
Amen....
Beautiful and full of God's blessed TRUTH !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 11:43 AM

5,261 posts, read 6,431,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi
The point some of us are making is you are free from all those sins because what Jesus DID, not because of what you do
...lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho;go
Focus on the amazing grace of Jesus; he removed the barrier when he died for you.
...truth.

Quote:
Putting your sights on him will help cleanse your flesh
...truth.

Quote:
...but as long as you focus on the sins of the flesh they will be top of mind, not Jesus.
...lie.

Quote:
God is pleased with you because of what Jesus did, not what you do or don’t do.
...lie.

Quote:
Your fruit of all of this will be love,
...nope..not all that you posted above...some of it is a lie...and the fruit of the "lie" part will not be love...it will be death to the soul....separation from God forever.

Quote:
...sure you will still sin
...sure you will...until you are truly born-again, changed!...into the character of Christ.

Quote:
...but if you are focused on loving others and Jesus those sins will reduce with time.
..truth.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:48 AM

5,261 posts, read 6,431,587 times
[quote=mercy777;14873583]Romans 5: 1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 3Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.
6You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly.
Romans 6:22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.
Philippians 2:12 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,
Luke 1:77 to give his people the knowledge of salvation through the forgiveness of their sins,
Romans 13:11
And do this, understanding the present time. The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed.

1 Thessalonians 5:8 But since we belong to the day, let us be self-controlled, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet.

1 Thessalonians 5:9
For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Believe you have recieved and believe God will finish His work in you through Jesus Christ to completion.
We confess our sins and ask for mercy and forgiveness and we know we have received mercy and are forgiven because Christ paid the price for our sin and proved He defeated death by His resurrection.
Now, since God has poured His love into our hearts (Jesus Christ), we are free to love God because before Jesus we were separated from God because of our sin.
What is love for God? 1 John 5:3 This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome,
Why are God's commands not burdensome?...because we have unlimited grace (favor) of God in our time of need. And because God knows we are only the dust of the earth and cannot help ourselves, He has given us this promise, the Power of the Holy Spirit(Himself) to help us in every way. The simple fact of calling on the Name above all names, "Jesus", we will be rescued from every evil and act of disobedience towards God.
When we are unfaithful, He is faithful.
When we have no strength, His strength will uphold us.
When we cannot endure, He will give us a way out.
Fullness in Christ that fills everything in everyway.
The road is straight and narrow.
Believe and receive.

God Bless,
Mercy[/quote]...Are you a Sabbath Keeper Mercy?...the 4th Commandment?

Old 07-02-2010, 11:53 AM

93 posts, read 233,722 times
Default nice jog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Hi,
I prefer to back into your question. How many sins are we allowed to do in order to be saved? If we are allowed 500,000 yet we do 500,001 we are doomed? The reality is we are allowed ZERO sins, so how can anyone make it? The answer is we can’t, so that is why we need Jesus who died for our sins and if we have faith in him God see’s Jesus on the cross as opposed to our sins or lack of sins.

When we are saved God works on our actions to help us obey the law which is loving God and loving others, not a list of do’s and don’ts. Will we lie? Sure but God see’s Jesus on the cross, will be get angry at others? Sure but God see’s Jesus on the cross. Will God work on us to love him and others? Sure, that is why we need to focus on what Jesus DID, not what would Jesus do. Faith brings about the works (love) not trying to obey a list.

Will we do what ever we want if we are saved? Probably not, can we? Yes. Will we sin? Yes but it won’t be our main desire especially if we focus on Jesus not ourselves an our actions.

This book helped me understand grace.
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=2][SIZE=2]http://www.amazon.com/Putting-Amazing-Back-into-Grace/dp/0801064007/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277521478&sr=1-1[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
Hilgi - well said. So many times as Christians we focus too much on ourselves and not about what Christ did for us. When our focus is Christ we are thankful and because of our thankfulness we want to please our king, priest and savior. This changes how we deal with holiness.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:50 PM

66 posts, read 64,371 times
i truly do not mean to critize anyone or anyones beliefs, i am honestly just asking... if we just have to believe in what he has done and nothing that we do makes a difference then can you explain the scripture below...( please dont be offended and think that i am trying to be judgemental) it just means somthing diff to me (in wat i have experienced thus far on my journey)
i believe we do have a part to play (thats just my opinion) .. i also agree that there is NO way to do it without jesus.

21 Not everyone who says to Me, "Lord, Lord," shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
22 Many will say to Me in that day, "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?"
23 And then I will declare to them, "I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness."

Old 07-02-2010, 02:41 PM

6,803 posts, read 7,381,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selinabetrue View Post
i truly do not mean to critize anyone or anyones beliefs, i am honestly just asking... if we just have to believe in what he has done and nothing that we do makes a difference then can you explain the scripture below...( please dont be offended and think that i am trying to be judgemental) it just means somthing diff to me (in wat i have experienced thus far on my journey)
i believe we do have a part to play (thats just my opinion) .. i also agree that there is NO way to do it without jesus.

21 Not everyone who says to Me, "Lord, Lord," shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
22 Many will say to Me in that day, "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?"
23 And then I will declare to them, "I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness."

I think what you are going through is very natural, it is such a human condition to think that we MUST "help" Jesus out in our salvation, it is especially a modern American me centered reaction. I know, I thought that way for 30 years.

Do you really think Jesus is upset with us if we tell our friend that she looks great in that horrible outfit? While telling her she looks fat may be technically correct from a following a set of rules standpoint. But IMHO it violates the law Jesus said which is love.

Look at how often Jesus messed with the Pharisees, they were very much into following the letter of the law but they did not have the fruit of the law which is love.

Mathew 7:21-23 is pretty straight forward, if you just say you believe but you don’t have fruit (Love) you may not be saved or you may be preaching the wrong gospel. Since the law is summed up as love God and Love your neighbor, not a list of rules and regulations, people will know you by your fruit (love) not your list of do’s and don’ts. If we are to keep every law we are in trouble, there are 613 of them, most of them people don’t even know exist.

I am not a random verse quoter but this does sum it up pretty well.

John 1:7-10
7 but if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

This is why it is said we are simultaneously sinful and saved. Our flesh sins (doesn’t follow all 613 laws) while we are saved by Jesus and our fruit is love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity