U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 08:32 AM

15,040 posts, read 7,550,070 times

Advertisements

George Elerick: "The ancient Jews believed that justice itself was judgment, that rather than pointing the finger or commercializing someone else's sins all over the tabloids, we should promote justice. Let me explain..."

The rest of the article is here: Do Christians Have a Right to Judge the World?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 09:42 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,529,886 times
John 7: 7The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil.

Ephesians 5:1Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; 2And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour. 3But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; 4Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks. 5For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. 6Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. 7Be not ye therefore partakers with them. 8For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light: 9(For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth 10Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord. 11And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. 12For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret. 13But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light. 14Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. 15See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, 16Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. 17Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:55 PM

7,866 posts, read 6,673,377 times
Christians sould Judge themselves or let Holy Spirit judge any evil spirits that may be decieving them, Jesus Christ is the Judge of Heaven and the earth and Christians are not called to Judge... Jesus said `` If you Judge , you will be Judged , If you condemn, You will be condemned, what you sow is what you reap````This is the character of Holy Spirit that Jesus taught, Holy Spirit does not Judge us or comdemn us , but Holy Spirit will discearn the evil spirit for us. and Jesus will Judge us on the last day for our good works or the bad things that we did that was never repented of or never turned away from...Apostle Paul told us to Judge the World but we must keep the Commandments of Jesus in our Judgement and pray for our Injustices.....Also if we judge the devil will judge us and if we comdemn the devil will condemn us so we must keep under the Blood of Jesus and rebuke the devils curses that he may bring that Jesus will remove these for us for his Glory...... Glory to God......

Old 06-26-2010, 06:54 AM

1,313 posts, read 2,728,273 times
If one searches the meaning of "judge", one will see that it means to form an opinion via careful evaluation, to estimate, to make a determination, etc. Now, if we see a brother doing something that we know will either cause them to stumble or is causing them to stumble, are we not beholden to go to that brother and with a compassionate spirit, help them whichever way possible to get through their situation?

We make judgement calls every day of our lives. How else can we decide what and how to say or do something? What Jesus is talking about in the "judging not, lest you be judged" statement is making a judgement call of an ecclesiastical nature, i.e., who is going to spend eternity separated from God or who will sit with Him for all eternity. We are all called to determine/judge people and their situations every day to benefit them but a condemnation or determination of a person's place in the eternal scheme of things is only for God Almighty to decide.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:58 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,418,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
If one searches the meaning of "judge", one will see that it means to form an opinion via careful evaluation, to estimate, to make a determination, etc. Now, if we see a brother doing something that we know will either cause them to stumble or is causing them to stumble, are we not beholden to go to that brother and with a compassionate spirit, help them whichever way possible to get through their situation?

We make judgement calls every day of our lives. How else can we decide what and how to say or do something? What Jesus is talking about in the "judging not, lest you be judged" statement is making a judgement call of an ecclesiastical nature, i.e., who is going to spend eternity separated from God or who will sit with Him for all eternity. We are all called to determine/judge people and their situations every day to benefit them but a condemnation or determination of a person's place in the eternal scheme of things is only for God Almighty to decide.
Well said...

Old 06-26-2010, 03:36 PM

30,224 posts, read 19,996,777 times
I think it's a very very fine line . Judging ourselves is never a bad thing to do . I also rebuke myself a lot , especially when a thought or attitude that is not Godly passes raises up in me.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:43 AM

8,250 posts, read 10,017,245 times
YES! -- Christians are to 'judge' (discern the truth of) all things! -- See 1 Cor 2:14-15: "14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one."

The 'judgement' confusion comes from the world's self-righteous view: "Who are you to judge?" The Bible clearly and repeatedly distinguishes between DISCERNMENT (knowing the difference between right and wrong) and JUDGING of the heart of men (God's work). A primary purpose of the Bible is to instruct people to JUDGE/DISCERN the difference between right and wrong! The foolish worldly notion that neither Christians or anyone else is able to judge the difference between right and wrong is based on relativism, -the nonsensical view that 'truth' is relative or that there is no absolute truth.

Unfortunately, Christians often interpret scripture on the basis of what other people say, instead of "precept upon precept." Those 'other people' are often non-Christians who sound 'good', but lack the Holy Spirit-empowered ability to understand the Spiritual things of God (1 Cor 2:12-13). Christians sometimes even apologetically buy-into the world's view that Christianity (God) is narrow-minded or bigoted. They adopt humanistic theological positions that 'seem right in the eyes of men', but have no basis in God's Word of Truth.

If Christians are to be pleasing ('approved') of God, they must study and 'rightly divide' the Word of truth! Christians are commanded to be firmly rooted in God's Word of Truth and carry the light of God's truth to a lost and dying world ... in love! -- Faithful Christians are in the world, but not of the world (worldly). --

In other words, the true 'church' is to be a powerful influence in the world -- and NOT be so influenced by the world, that compromise leaves no room for God's truth and power!

Last edited by jghorton; 06-29-2010 at 10:12 AM..

Old 06-29-2010, 10:28 AM

51 posts, read 105,501 times
Romans 3:21But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

I have stopped there,but encourage you to read on.It is a wonderful passage.True Christians do not condemn the world (For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Jesus speaking in John 3:17) or anyone in it,though they may condemn behaviors that harm self or others,based on the word of God.Paul said "For all have sinned & fall short of the glory of God".Christianity is one organization that to join you must admit that you have nothing to offer God & that you are in fact in dire need of His forgiveness & His regeneration.As for justice,if you want justice,that is okay I suppose,but you will never find justice in this world.I,on the other hand,need mercy.I would rather lay every slight against me down to gain the mercy that God will give,& in fact I would share that mercy with those who slighted me.Jesus did not come to condemn you,but He did come to save you.That implies that there is something you & I need to be saved from.If you are okay,& are confident in your own righteousness,then I suppose you don't need Jesus.However,if you know the need in your heart to be forgiven,come join me You will find no judgement here.God bless you

Old 06-29-2010, 11:08 AM

55 posts, read 60,885 times
We shall not judge one another by their inner motives,as God only knows the true heart of an individual.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:26 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,360,264 times
I may not be able to quote the Word as others can, but i do read my Bible and study it. That being said: As stated before "judging" has many definitions. We are to keep one another "accountable" in the Word. But we are not to judge others. We may not like what someone does or has or is, and because we follow the Word of God, that does not give us the right to judge someone. For me, judging is demeaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or