U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:04 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,425,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
We're good. Don't worry about it. Have a good night.
...good...I like this......much better.....good night.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:16 PM

....what happened with this thread....?...suddenly there are posts that weren't there before...?...and I see two of the same threads now..? Do you all see this too?...or is it my computer...?

...and now I just noticed that there are two OP's...?...I'm confused...?

Old 06-26-2010, 05:29 AM

Default World's largest Oil-skimming Ship En Route To Gulf Of Mexico...

Will the President waive the Century Old Law..."The Jones Act"...and allow this ship to come in and do the job?

Norfolk, Virginia - With no assurances it will be allowed to join the Gulf oil cleanup, a Taiwanese-owned ship billed as the world's largest skimming vessel is sailing Friday to the Deepwater Horizon disaster in hopes of gulping down 500,000 barrels a day of oily water.
The ship the length of 3 1/2 football fields and 10 stories high is designed to work 40 to 50 miles (65 to 80 kilometers) offshore and collect oily water through 12 vents on either side of its bow. It docked in Norfolk en route to the Gulf from Portugal, where it was retrofitted to skim the seas.
The owners of the "A Whale" said the new skimming approach has never been attempted on this scale...

Oil-skimming Ship En Route To Gulf Of Mexico - Virginia Norfolk (http://www.wkrg.com/gulf_oil_spill/article/oil-skimming-ship-en-route-to-gulf-of-mexico/900033/Jun-25-2010_11-42-am/ - broken link)

...The company is still negotiating with the Coast Guard to join the cleanup and does not have a contract with BP to perform the work. The company also needs environmental approval and waiver of a nearly century-old law [The Jones Act] aimed at protecting U.S. shipping interests.

The company said it also needs a waiver of the 1920 Jones Act, which limits the activities of foreign-flagged ships in coastal U.S. waters.

Grantham said TMT was hopeful it could secure the necessary approvals during the ship's three-day passage to the Gulf. The Liberian-flagged ship was to leave Norfolk later Friday.

The converted oil tanker has the capacity of holding 2 million barrels, but would limit its holding tanks to 1 million barrels for environmental reasons. Oil skimmed up by the tanker would be separated from seawater, then transferred to another vessel.

"I believe this spill is unprecedented and you need an unprecedented solution," said T.K. Ong, senior vice president for TMT.

....we will see......should I hold my breath...?

Old 06-26-2010, 06:44 AM

63,143 posts, read 34,386,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Will the President waive the Century Old Law..."The Jones Act"...and allow this ship to come in and do the job?

Norfolk, Virginia - With no assurances it will be allowed to join the Gulf oil cleanup, a Taiwanese-owned ship billed as the world's largest skimming vessel is sailing Friday to the Deepwater Horizon disaster in hopes of gulping down 500,000 barrels a day of oily water.
The ship the length of 3 1/2 football fields and 10 stories high is designed to work 40 to 50 miles (65 to 80 kilometers) offshore and collect oily water through 12 vents on either side of its bow. It docked in Norfolk en route to the Gulf from Portugal, where it was retrofitted to skim the seas.
The owners of the "A Whale" said the new skimming approach has never been attempted on this scale...

Oil-skimming Ship En Route To Gulf Of Mexico - Virginia Norfolk (http://www.wkrg.com/gulf_oil_spill/article/oil-skimming-ship-en-route-to-gulf-of-mexico/900033/Jun-25-2010_11-42-am/ - broken link)

...The company is still negotiating with the Coast Guard to join the cleanup and does not have a contract with BP to perform the work. The company also needs environmental approval and waiver of a nearly century-old law [The Jones Act] aimed at protecting U.S. shipping interests.

The company said it also needs a waiver of the 1920 Jones Act, which limits the activities of foreign-flagged ships in coastal U.S. waters.

Grantham said TMT was hopeful it could secure the necessary approvals during the ship's three-day passage to the Gulf. The Liberian-flagged ship was to leave Norfolk later Friday.

The converted oil tanker has the capacity of holding 2 million barrels, but would limit its holding tanks to 1 million barrels for environmental reasons. Oil skimmed up by the tanker would be separated from seawater, then transferred to another vessel.

"I believe this spill is unprecedented and you need an unprecedented solution," said T.K. Ong, senior vice president for TMT.

....we will see......should I hold my breath...?
They will join the effort. It's pretty cool they converted this tanker into an oil-skimmer in a matter of months.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They will join the effort. It's pretty cool they converted this tanker into an oil-skimmer in a matter of months.
It's enourmous...and I pray to God they will...

Old 06-26-2010, 07:04 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,765,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Verna - Why did you post this here as opposed to the political forum? I don't mind discussing religion and philosophy - but I don't come on here to hear disparaging, hateful, ignorant, things said about our president. I think it's very disprespectful. You completely belittle and degrade him repeatedly. It's very offputting.
Yes, and it is very un-Christ-like for a Christian to constantly rail against the President and slander him. Quite irritating to read this sort of thing in the Christianity section.

Heartsong

Old 06-26-2010, 09:25 AM

16,300 posts, read 24,978,161 times
I'm confused the OP started this describing the environmental disaster unfolding where he lives, which is going to turn into an economic disaster for the people that make their living there also. BP just can't compensate people hurt as it will go too many layers down the economic food chain from the fishing and tourism industries, that are getting all the attention.

Also links to a news spot about something that is killing the plants, even weeds, which typically survive anything. Related? Needs to be investigated, as there has to be a tremendous amount of vapors coming from the oil in the warm gulf waters, much different than the the oil in cold water in Alaska (Exxon Valdese)

This was all started in the R&P section, apparently then successfully hijacked by the christian crowd, and 'moved' into the christianity section. Early on I thought about reporting it, saying it should be moved to something environmental, or even Florida > Pensacola forums, but didn't bother.

Go read message #1, god is mentioned, but it is not religious post, it is a justifiable rant about the environmental disaster happening in the OP back yard, and the obvious incompetence and blatant unwillingness of BP to react to the level they should.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:55 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,299,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Yes, and it is very un-Christ-like for a Christian to constantly rail against the President and slander him. Quite irritating to read this sort of thing in the Christianity section.

Heartsong
YES THANK YOU! Indeed it is.It brings our country down.It doesn't matter if you like our Pres. or not.saying bad things about him is disparaging to our country,nonetheless.

God says hatred=murder in His eyes.How on earth do ppl who believe in the rapture also at the same time display such hatred for our President?? It just doesn't make any sense to me.it's not justified by any means.I would never think that I was righteous enough to enter the pearly gates and yet spew such hatred and disrespect all at the same time.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:17 PM

4,248 posts, read 658,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I'm confused the OP started this describing the environmental disaster unfolding where he lives, which is going to turn into an economic disaster for the people that make their living there also. BP just can't compensate people hurt as it will go too many layers down the economic food chain from the fishing and tourism industries, that are getting all the attention.

Also links to a news spot about something that is killing the plants, even weeds, which typically survive anything. Related? Needs to be investigated, as there has to be a tremendous amount of vapors coming from the oil in the warm gulf waters, much different than the the oil in cold water in Alaska (Exxon Valdese)

This was all started in the R&P section, apparently then successfully hijacked by the christian crowd, and 'moved' into the christianity section. Early on I thought about reporting it, saying it should be moved to something environmental, or even Florida > Pensacola forums, but didn't bother.

Go read message #1, god is mentioned, but it is not religious post, it is a justifiable rant about the environmental disaster happening in the OP back yard, and the obvious incompetence and blatant unwillingness of BP to react to the level they should.
I believe this was started in the christianity forum, started by a christian wanting support from other christians -- it was not hijacked by christians (one poster did request for it to be moved to politics) I do not believe that her motive (the OP) was for it to be a political debate - more looking for support from other christians as this directly affects her.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:41 AM

Default Gulf Oil Gush is much worse than ever expected...

...this is a horrible nightmare...please Pray people...today has been set to be a day of prayer for this crisis to end...

Oil Spill's Damage Far Greater than Once Thought - CBS News

...and more...

Experts Double Estimated Rate of Spill in Gulf - NYTimes.com

...they've been lying to us all along...

Scientists offer varied estimates, all high, on size of BP oil leak

...please find it in your hearts to pray today people...for us all...ths is going to affect ALL of us!...

Governors Calling for Prayer Over Oil Spill

God wants the Church to deal with the source of all the serious problems America is now facing, so He cna bring true healing to our nation. God loves America and knows what must first take place before She can be completely healed and resotored. By His Spirit, God is calling America to her knees in prayer and repentance, beginning with the Church - She must set the example for the nation.
Just as in Elijah's Day God wants all of America and all the false religions in our nation to know that He is the One True God, that He reigns over the kingdoms of men, and that He is to be feared above all gods...Psalm 96:4.

"Whatever the LORD pleases He does, in heaven and in earth, in the seas and all deep places." Psalm 135:6 & Psalm 95.

"For the Lord is a Great God and the Great King Above ALL Gods...In His hands are the Deep Places of the Earth, the strength of the hills are His also. The sea is His, for He made it. His hands formed the dry land too.

Oh come [America], let us worship and bow down, Let us kneel before the Lord our Maker! Psalm 95:3-6.

Israel Connection to Oil Spill?

Is there a connection to Israel regarding the Oil Spill?
  • April 19th - it was announced the Obama Administration were not going to automatically support Israel at the UN (said to be unprecedented in U.S. History)
See Article here.
  • April 20th - The Drilling Rig explosion which lead to Gulf oil Gush.
This very interesting video tells the story and asks: Coincidence or the Judgement of God?

We encourage you all to join in prayer, and we ask you to please pray as follows...

1. Pray that the Holy Spirit will move heavily upon the hearts of these State Leaders, Governors and the people with a genuine spirit and heart of repentance as they pray.
2. Pray they would sincerely acknowledge God as the Most High who reigns over the kingdoms of men, the heavens and the earth, and the depths of the sea (Psalm 95; Daniel 4:2-3).
3. Also, Pray that if God does move and stop this leak, that they will officially acknowledge His intrvention with a day of thanksgiving, and not forget Him and go back to their own ways.

Alabama - Governor Bob Riley's Prayer Proclamation
Florida's - Prayer Proclamation
Louisiana - Governor Bobby Jindal's Prayer Proclamation
Mississippi - Governor Haley Barbour's Prayer Proclamation
Texas - Governor Rick Perry's Prayer Proclamation

Genuine Repentance Will Lead To Mercy

During the Civil War of 1863, Abraham Lincoln, a God fearing President, so insightfully and eloquently stated in his National Prayer Proclamation ...

"Whereas it is the duty of nations as well as of men, to own their dependence upon the overruling power of God, to confess their sins and transgressions, in humble sorrow, yet with assured hope that genuine repentance will lead to mercy and pardon; and to recognize the sublime truth, announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by all history, that those nations only are blessed whose God is the Lord."

Also, see the Situation in America.

by - Cindy deVille. "A Call to Prayer!"

Thank you and God Bless you for all of your much needed prayers...

Love,
Verna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity