Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 01:50 AM

61 posts, read 77,885 times

Advertisements

Why did God put the Tree of Knowledge in the Garden of Eden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 05:07 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEsydney View Post
That's a no brainer. The everlasting fate of his own creatures had to based on a rock hard, logical, reasonable plan...you know, two naked teen agers in a garden with a snake and an apple tree.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:44 AM

12 posts, read 14,786 times
Default One Tree

Quote:
I think there is only one tree, but the first time you taste it, it kills you. However, real life can't die - and keeps struggling to come back to action - the process of the struggle develops that little embryo as it were into a full fledged being. The tree of knowledge becomes a tree of life, after you've been engaged with it for a lifetime. If you plow with his heifer long enough, you get the riddle.

Behold, the man is become as one of us knowing good and evil. Would not the father want his son to "become as one of us"??? (Adam is the Son of God, Luke 3:38, as was "Eve", "and he called THEIR NAME "Adam", Gen 5:2.) However can the heir grow up and take over the family business? Except a seed fall to the ground and die, it bears no fruit. We must needs die. But - oh death where is thy sting.

The heir as a child differeth nothing from a servant. Be ye no more children. In malice be ye children, in understanding be men. Wisdom is the principle thing, therefore get wisdom - and in all thy getting, get understanding.

Just to toss out a few verses relevant to this subject in my mind. The whole of scripture is an allegory - Ps 78:2, "dark sayings", Matt 13, "without a parable spake he not unto them". But I am not upset with literalists, we live in a literal world, you have to get specific about things to move along. I'm just not very literal myself, not anymore.

In immaturity, two trees, tree of knowledge, tree of life. In immaturity, two gods, the Lord and the Devil. (Both out to kill you, how do they differ??? Ah but you must needs die!) In maturity, One. One Governance over All. But danged complicated.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:45 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
God gave us free will; I'd guess he wanted us to make informed decisions.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
God gave us free will; I'd guess he wanted us to make informed decisions.
I guess that depends upon how deeply into the worship of ancient gods one is. I'm very shallow into it...like Not At All!

Old 06-26-2010, 05:53 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Because it would flourish there better than in the desert or the ocean?

Old 06-26-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Because it would flourish there better than in the desert or the ocean?
LOL...Right On!

It would probably still be there if he hadn't flooded everything.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:05 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
That's a no brainer. The everlasting fate of his own creatures had to based on a rock hard, logical, reasonable plan...you know, two naked teen agers in a garden with a snake and an apple tree.

Who somehow went on to populate the earth after having only sons, one who was murdered by the other. Now THAT is amazing.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:13 AM

12 posts, read 14,786 times
Mockery, weapon of last resort, for the powerless, imo. Of course the media is eaten up with it.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:08 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Because he put Adam and Eve in the garden, and the tree had to be there to serve its purpose in the story.

Oh, wait, should I not have let the figurative cat out of the bag?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity