Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:17 AM

264 posts, read 493,428 times

Advertisements

How many thinks its more physical then spiritual and that it can be controlled spiritually or only with medication?, or both only?

thank you!

Overview
Bipolar disorder involves periods of excitability (mania) alternating with periods of depression. The "mood swings" between mania and depression can be very abrupt.

Symptoms
The manic phase may last from days to months and can include the following symptoms:
  • Agitation or irritation
  • Elevated mood
    • Hyperactivity
    • Increased energy
    • Lack of self-control
    • Racing thoughts
  • Inflated self-esteem (delusions of grandeur, false beliefs in special abilities)
  • Little need for sleep
  • Over-involvement in activities
  • Poor temper control
  • Reckless behavior
    • Binge eating, drinking, and/or drug use
    • Impaired judgment
    • Sexual promiscuity
    • Spending sprees
  • Tendency to be easily distracted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 10:28 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,690,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Blue View Post
How many thinks its more physical then spiritual and that it can be controlled spiritually or only with medication?, or both only?

thank you!
Oh boy...I have a relative with this and I can say for sure...ppl with BPD NEED the meds!!! and believe me,I have been thru hell and back with this person! I felt like I was being driven crazy myself,and I swear,I think I almost was!
But I'm not saying anything bad about ppl who have it..they can't help it.I am only relating how I felt.
Think of it like this..we live in a fallen world and as such,our genetics are not perfect (my relative inherited his condition,it's that prevalent in both of them).So medication is needed for this condition,just as it is for any other condition,say,a thyroid problem.It's nothing to be ashamed of.
As for combining the two...yes,PRAY a lot about it.It's a combo of both.My relative takes his meds and sees his Dr regularly,which I'm told IS A RARE THING! See,it is the power of prayer combined with meds that leads him to do the right thing for himself,and for those around him.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:48 AM

987 posts, read 1,119,017 times
I agree, God gave us brains and intelligence and it is wonderful that we now know so much more about mental disorders and aren't locking the victims away in secret rooms, shackled to a bed or using arcane rituals to shoo away the demons. We still don't have all the answers as to the why or how to prevent or best methods to cure for thiese maladies, but at least more people understand and don't condemn the poor sufferer of being a witch, possessed, etc.

Depression and bi-polar disorder seems to be on the increase with the lifestyles forced uon us. Plus the herdity factor. I am not totally for medications willy nilly except as a last resort. Some may be necesary but organic vitamins and herbs, minerals, etc. would be my first choice. From what I've seen in acquaintances, it seems the doctors just start 'practicing' medicine and guess as to how much and which pill you take and then it's a waiting game to see what will help, and many times the condition gets worse before it gets better, if it really does. Most of the time it just seems like the pills put you in some kind of haze where u just don't care one way or another, which might be a relief for a time, but to me it isn't a permanent solution.

A cure for cancer and mental disorders would sure be wonderful, or prevention would be even better. I just applaud anyone who deals with loved ones who suffer from these maladies on a daily basis.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:54 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
I have dealt with foolish Christians who convinced me that my condition just needed prayer and "faith", the years I went continually questioning my own faith when I should have gotten help. Thank GOD that my wife and children finally intervened and put a stop to this stupidity and I got help and and managing just fine and am at greater peace knowing that it was not my lack of faith, but it was embracing "DUMB" that kept me in bondage.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:00 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times
BPD is a mental condition. They need meds.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:06 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Blue View Post

Bipolar disorder is not something that can be controlled spiritually. It can, however, be managed via the correct medication and therapy. While June is certainly not saying that family members and friends should not 'pray' for a loved one who suffers from bipolar disorder, what she IS saying is that prayer alone is not going to either "cure" or control the illness. Trust her on this one...

Take gentle care.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:17 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
I have a sil with bipolar..He is very religious and even he is aware that he needs meds..Takes months to find the right dosage and meds..even then it is sometimes hard to convince them to take as prescribed..

All things good are from God including the "tools" of medicine.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:20 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post

All things good are from God including the "tools" of medicine.
Amen Miss Blue!

Old 06-26-2010, 12:42 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Bipolar disorder is not something that can be controlled spiritually. It can, however, be managed via the correct medication and therapy. While June is certainly not saying that family members and friends should not 'pray' for a loved one who suffers from bipolar disorder, what she IS saying is that prayer alone is not going to either "cure" or control the illness. Trust her on this one...

Take gentle care.
Perhaps this is true in your own professional experience but there are other qualified mental health practitioners who disagree with that statement. I have researched this area for many years (albeit as a lay researcher) and corresponded with some of them.

Moreover, from a Christian and Jewish perspective, God is capable of performing any miracle of His choosing. This would include curing of any condition whatsoever--including "bipolar disorder."

In fact that would be a relatively minor miracle compared to miracles such as walking on water, causing limbs to miraculousy regrow, and raising the dead.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:18 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
I think bi-polar 'disorder' is as common as bread. It is with us because the world is filled with dis-order, not to mention the literal shifting of the poles that is happening. Read the Psalms - I'm pretty sure King David was bi-polar! Life is like a roller-coaster ride. We are prone to mood swings - but even more so as the world around us descends into more and more chaos. I do not feel that God has left me whenever I feel depressed or sad. I think I'm simply human. It is too bad that some of the churches have put an added burden and attached a stigma to people who are feeling grief, sorrow, or depression. But I remember the pressure from church people to hide how you are actually feeling with questions like "where is your joy? Do you have some secret sin in your life?" Blah, blah, blah.......... Answer: "No, it's just that there is war covering the globe and children being abused and brother is against brother and people are committing murders and suicides and it's making me very sad sometimes when I see such things day in and day out.......... duhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity