U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:45 AM

16,300 posts, read 25,008,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Not quite the same thing. No one was hollering anything. And this was on a public street, not in a mosque.
It does not matter, it was NOT invited, I, you, and everyone else have the right to be in public without being accosted by people pushing their religion.

Hollering is not the issue, the utter arrogance of these people, even if the words were polite. How dare anyone look at me and decided that I need to hear the nonsense that is in their head. Religion is just like genitalia, don't pull it out in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 01:06 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,202,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It does not matter, it was NOT invited, I, you, and everyone else have the right to be in public without being accosted by people pushing their religion.

Hollering is not the issue, the utter arrogance of these people, even if the words were polite. How dare anyone look at me and decided that I need to hear the nonsense that is in their head. Religion is just like genitalia, don't pull it out in public.
I still think, at least for the time being, we have freedom of expression in public places. No one was accosted. If they didn't want to take the literature, they didn't have to. I don't think there's a law against "arrogance." Five blocks from the festival, come on.

No one has mentioned this. What do the non-Muslims in Michigan think when the call to prayer is broadcast five times a day for all to hear? Talk about exposed genitalia!

Old 06-27-2010, 01:59 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,028,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
If they were just hanging out having a discussion with these people they should not have been arrested. If they were shouting their message and harrassing these people at their festival then, yes, I can see how arresting them would make sense.

I read an article awhile back (and I think it was about Michigan) that spoke of some push for the Muslims to be able to have their Mosques fill the neighborhoods with the call to prayer, 5 TIMES A DAY, starting at dawn. If that happened in my neighborhood I think I would freak out. THAT would be a true disturbance of the peace, in my humble opinion.

I believe the town council did allow them to broadcast, in the end. It's some small town in Michigan.
Well, christians have always had church bells ringing as a call to prayer among other reasons. Are you suggesting that no other religion but christianity should be allowed a call to prayer?

Old 06-27-2010, 03:13 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,498,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
Well, christians have always had church bells ringing as a call to prayer among other reasons. Are you suggesting that no other religion but christianity should be allowed a call to prayer?
I don't belong to a church of any kind, but the bells can be pretty and don't, as far as I know, wake people up at the crack of dawn with Arabic chanting.

Just do me a favor. Put on some good headphones or turn up your speakers if you can and listen to the call to prayer and then imagine that happening 5 TIMES a day starting at dawn when you are in the middle of a beautiful non-religious dream. Then imagine sharia law impacting you in a not so beautiful way.

These guys don't play around.

Like I said, I'm going to start a religion where it is mandatory that you listen to my techno music cranked up every 2 hours starting at midnight. The call to dance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or