Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 07:49 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,436,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Well if the smoking skills then God has planned that smoking kills. If your smoking and it kills you then yes God planned for you to die by the smoking you did. And yes there is nothing you can do to change your fate. You cannot add one day to the day God has planned for you to die.

See the things you do are in concert with God's programming.

Circular logic if it ever existed.

So, can I assume you don't wear a seatbelt when you drive, as it doesn't matter, your fate is sealed, with or without the belt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 07:57 PM

6,370 posts, read 6,993,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Circular logic if it ever existed.

So, can I assume you don't wear a seatbelt when you drive, as it doesn't matter, your fate is sealed, with or without the belt?
No I wear a seatbelt - after all I'm part of the programming code. That doesn't take away from the fact that God is the programmer.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:11 PM

Rom 9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

Watch in this forum how many will say that it is of THEMSELVES to willeth which is Contrary to God's Word as shown here.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:24 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,679,324 times
I'm sensing something quantum here..could it be that's how God made the Universe?

Old 06-27-2010, 12:34 AM

595 posts, read 758,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Rom 9:18 so, then, to whom He willeth, He doth kindness, and to whom He willeth, He doth harden.

Notice that? It is God that hardens and He that shows kindness. So you might say if that is the case (as someone already has) then why do all these other things? Why would He find fault with us - if it is Him that has planned and executing the programming that He provided to us?

Rom 9:19 Thou wilt say, then, to me, `Why yet doth He find fault? for His counsel who hath resisted?'

See even though we do things that are contrary to His will we are still executing His plan.

Rom 9:20 nay, but, O man, who art thou that art answering again to God? shall the thing formed say to Him who did form it , Why me didst thou make thus?

See it is God who forms us - ALL of us whether to destruction or to righteousness, it is He that is still doing the forming.

We are just threads in the executing of His program.
Romans 9:22 What if God, choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction?
Romans 9:23
What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory—
Ecclesiastes 1:2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."
Ecclesiastes 12:
13 Now all has been heard;
here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
for this is the whole duty of man. I was thinking about Job and God today. Job wanted God to meet him face to face and tell him what he had done wrong, why he was being afflicted.
Job 40
1 The LORD said to Job: 2 "Will the one who contends with the Almighty correct him?
Let him who accuses God answer him!" 3 Then Job answered the LORD : 4 "I am unworthy—how can I reply to you?
I put my hand over my mouth. 5 I spoke once, but I have no answer—
twice, but I will say no more."

6 Then the LORD spoke to Job out of the storm: 7 "Brace yourself like a man;
I will question you,
and you shall answer me. 8 "Would you discredit my justice?
Would you condemn me to justify yourself? 9 Do you have an arm like God's,
and can your voice thunder like his?

10 Then adorn yourself with glory and splendor,
and clothe yourself in honor and majesty. 11 Unleash the fury of your wrath,
look at every proud man and bring him low, 12 look at every proud man and humble him,
crush the wicked where they stand. 13 Bury them all in the dust together;
shroud their faces in the grave.

14 Then I myself will admit to you
that your own right hand can save you.
We can only imagine.

God Bless,
Mercy

Last edited by mercy777; 06-27-2010 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: spacing

Old 06-27-2010, 05:24 AM

5,965 posts, read 6,980,955 times
Yes, and now shall we go on to discuss string theory and the concept of an infinite universe or black holes? I wonder what God has ordained for my dinner tomorrow? Seriously, while I do believe in God's sovereignty, I don't think we are without a will. Notice I don't call it a "free" will - but we do have wills that can be opposed to God's will. Even Jesus said he did not come to do his own will but that of the Father. But I think too much circular thinking can drive people nuts (in the same sense that Calvinism leads to insanity).

Old 06-27-2010, 05:40 AM

3,381 posts, read 4,172,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Yes, and now shall we go on to discuss string theory and the concept of an infinite universe or black holes? I wonder what God has ordained for my dinner tomorrow? Seriously, while I do believe in God's sovereignty, I don't think we are without a will. Notice I don't call it a "free" will - but we do have wills that can be opposed to God's will. Even Jesus said he did not come to do his own will but that of the Father. But I think too much circular thinking can drive people nuts (in the same sense that Calvinism leads to insanity).

Well, I happen to be fond of string theory, so I wouldn't mind discussing it , but I'd rather stay far, far away from Calvinism as that doctrine can drive a soft-hearted, imaginative thinker mad. Although I believe in the elect, I've jumped up the next level, which is much closer to the Good News than a Calvinist could ever imagine.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777 View Post
Romans 9:22 What if God, choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction?
Romans 9:23
What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory—
Ecclesiastes 1:2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."
Ecclesiastes 12:
13 Now all has been heard;
here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
for this is the whole duty of man. I was thinking about Job and God today. Job wanted God to meet him face to face and tell him what he had done wrong, why he was being afflicted.
Job 40
1 The LORD said to Job: 2 "Will the one who contends with the Almighty correct him?
Let him who accuses God answer him!" 3 Then Job answered the LORD : 4 "I am unworthy—how can I reply to you?
I put my hand over my mouth. 5 I spoke once, but I have no answer—
twice, but I will say no more."

6 Then the LORD spoke to Job out of the storm: 7 "Brace yourself like a man;
I will question you,
and you shall answer me. 8 "Would you discredit my justice?
Would you condemn me to justify yourself? 9 Do you have an arm like God's,
and can your voice thunder like his?

10 Then adorn yourself with glory and splendor,
and clothe yourself in honor and majesty. 11 Unleash the fury of your wrath,
look at every proud man and bring him low, 12 look at every proud man and humble him,
crush the wicked where they stand. 13 Bury them all in the dust together;
shroud their faces in the grave.

14 Then I myself will admit to you
that your own right hand can save you.
We can only imagine.

God Bless,
Mercy
Great stuff. Thanks for the post Mercy.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Sure you have a will, but as a man your WILL only knows how to sin. Jesus Christ had the will that knew how to overcome sin. He has the copyright on Good works and thus His will is GOOD. So if we do something good then the GOOD we do is His for He has the copyright on DOING Good.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:23 AM

987 posts, read 1,112,600 times
Just because I believe that God has planned everything doesn't mean that I sit around and wait on God to MOVE me, or don't try to decide and think what is the healthiest lifestyle. We do have a will and a brain and it is by thinking, making choices that we learn.

I recall the anecdote about the atheist who said if there is a God I challenge him to make me raise my hand. Almost immediately a fly landed on his head and without thinking he raised his hand to brush it away. God is very subtle in His ways. You won't feel as if He is forcing you to do anything, He just guides you into the circumstances that cause you to make the choices He wills for you to choose.

I urge people to quit smoking, to eat healthier, to wear a seat belt, etc. That may be a tool God uses to lead the person to quit. WE don't know what God has purposed for us or our loved ones/friends/acquaintances. Just as we are to spread the gospel...it may fall on deaf ears, it may plant a seed that someone else waters, and finally take root and grow without us ever knowing. So tho a thousand will not receive the good news, one may and thus we do what God puts on our heart to do.

God is the author and creator of Life...He will bring about what He desires, what He purposed from the beginning, He is the perfect author, He won't leave a work unfinished.

The preceding is solely the opinion of this poster.

Peace and joy is my wish for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity