U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 12:07 AM

6,370 posts, read 5,816,749 times

Advertisements

If so, then can His persuasion fail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 05:58 AM

8,102 posts, read 7,072,801 times
In Romans 14:14 Apostle Paul said `` I am persuaded by the Lord Jesus that there is nothing clean of itself , but to him that esteemeth any thing that is unclean , to him it is unclean,,, `Apostle Paul was talking of the laws of Moses and food and other things that would be unclean if touched .. Like years ago I seen a dead dog on the side of the road everyday so one day I stoped and kicked it over into the tall grass to hide it and an inclean spirit came out of it a stunk up my the inside of my car until I prayed and Jesus Spirit moved it out and was gone as I drove away.. Glory to God ... Here is Lord Jesus persuading Paul about the legalism of the Word to subtitite faith in the Spirit of God......

Old 06-27-2010, 06:15 AM

12 posts, read 12,527 times
Default good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
I'll take a stab at it. The first verse I think of about persuasion is in Rom 8, "I am persuaded that nothing can separate us from the love of god in christ jesus".

I think yes, God is a persuader. An Iron Hand does not have to persuade, do it or die. The Laws of the Universe are like that - Gravity doesn't have to "persuade" you to "believe" - you break its law, you die - try to be spiderman or superman and see what happens! (Yet, the Wright Brothers overruled Gravity! Faith and persistence, strongest things in the universe!)

You have just shown me something wonderful. About his nature. Like us, he wants sincere fellowship, not groveling toadies who will talk about you behind your back. And to be sure something is reliable, a scientist has to thoroughly test it in all circumstances. He that endures to the end, the same shall be saved.

How does he persuade? And what is he persuading us? I think the ultimate wicked temptation is to think it's all pointless - curse god and die, as Job's wife advised him. He is persuading us that the reward is worth any suffering and more. You won't be sorry for having given your all. And you'll give it all right buddy - if you don't do it willingly, he'll take it. He loves a cheerful giver, but a man's soul is "required" of him, and it is "required" that a steward be found faithful, whether he's cheerful about it or not.

I think we are persuaded by our own experiences, trial and error, and growing understanding that results from that. And these things are "of the lord" - it is not in man that walketh to direct his own steps, man's goings are of the lord, how then shall a man understand his own way, Jer 10:23, Prov 20:24.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunammite View Post
I'll take a stab at it. The first verse I think of about persuasion is in Rom 8, "I am persuaded that nothing can separate us from the love of god in christ jesus".

I think yes, God is a persuader. An Iron Hand does not have to persuade, do it or die. The Laws of the Universe are like that - Gravity doesn't have to "persuade" you to "believe" - you break its law, you die - try to be spiderman or superman and see what happens! (Yet, the Wright Brothers overruled Gravity! Faith and persistence, strongest things in the universe!)

You have just shown me something wonderful. About his nature. Like us, he wants sincere fellowship, not groveling toadies who will talk about you behind your back. And to be sure something is reliable, a scientist has to thoroughly test it in all circumstances. He that endures to the end, the same shall be saved.

How does he persuade? And what is he persuading us? I think the ultimate wicked temptation is to think it's all pointless - curse god and die, as Job's wife advised him. He is persuading us that the reward is worth any suffering and more. You won't be sorry for having given your all. And you'll give it all right buddy - if you don't do it willingly, he'll take it. He loves a cheerful giver, but a man's soul is "required" of him, and it is "required" that a steward be found faithful, whether he's cheerful about it or not.

I think we are persuaded by our own experiences, trial and error, and growing understanding that results from that. And these things are "of the lord" - it is not in man that walketh to direct his own steps, man's goings are of the lord, how then shall a man understand his own way, Jer 10:23, Prov 20:24.
I'm glad you pondered the question and gave your response. I'm very pleased if the question moved you.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:50 AM

32,225 posts, read 21,107,899 times
who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: Ephesians 1 verse 11.

If this verse doesn't persuade you that God accomplishes His will , it's a sure sign your heart is hardened and resisting the Holy Ghost , but thanks be to God if we do not fall on the rock , the rock will fall on us.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:02 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,761,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunammite View Post

Well, I think you are the smartest human being I've ever known. I just finished reading your "Garden of Eden" post - it was wonderful. Then this, more brilliant thoughts. I wonder if your husband realizes how many things you understand in such intricate patterns. Sorry, just can't help but wonder that as I have had 'husbands' on my mind recently.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:52 AM

12 posts, read 12,527 times
Default To Heartsong

You fell in love with me elsewhere and think everything I do is perfect, love is blind. If only everybody loved everybody, "what a wonderful world it would be", we'd step right in the gap whenever there was a shortfall - just like the parts of the human body. Thanks for bonding with me.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:08 AM

30,883 posts, read 31,765,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Yes, it failed with me and millions of others. I have never seen any attempt of god's persuasion, or any other sign of his existence...The only thing I have ever seen is people trying to persuade people.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yes, it failed with me and millions of others. I have never seen any attempt of god's persuasion, or any other sign of his existence...The only thing I have ever seen is people trying to persuade people.
Your persuaded but just haven't arrived at that point in time yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity