U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 03:32 PM

32,456 posts, read 21,261,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I just think it's sad that this is happening but, it should be expected is it not? I'm not a Bible scholar or anything but, I believe Revelation has made references to that when the End Times are nearer, that the Church will turn away from God gradually
It might appear that things may prevail against the church of God , but Jesus's words were that "the gates of hell will not prevail against it" , what better assurance can we have than the words from our Savior Himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 03:33 PM

1,468 posts, read 1,882,635 times
Quote:
I just think it's sad that this is happening but, it should be expected is it not? I'm not a Bible scholar or anything but, I believe Revelation has made references to that when the End Times are nearer, that the Church will turn away from God gradually
You are talking about the "Great Apostasy" (see 2 Thessalonians 2:1-3).

A little on the "Emerging Church"....

Herescope: Emerging Towards Convergence

Old 06-27-2010, 09:37 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,061,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
Okay, so a church tries to help a wider range of people, and takes down a symbol of torture, and that immediately makes it 'occult'? You people are so hung up on symbolism and semantics and arguing with each other over where the commas go in your bible that it is laughable to the rest of us. Don't you see how ridiculous your squabbling over petty things is? What ever happened to the message of love and acceptance that your Jesus is supposed to stand for?
I don't think it necessarily make it occult, but to a degree I'd have to say you may not know what you're talking about here.

Christianity isn't simply about Jesus as a good guy who said loving things. If that's all it was then it's just a philosophy and you don't really need churches of any kind.

Jesus is seen as a man whose life, death, mission, and nature matter. The cross is part of that. His death by execution is in all four of the Gospels and the Acts of the Apostles. It is not some incidental element. Now I have heard of Christian denominations who avoid all imagery, including crosses, as they deem them idolatry. However if church "wants to reach a diverse group and not upset others with a cross" it is basically "post-Christian." Jesus and the Apostles were quite willing to offend some people. A Christianity that never challenges a person at all is essentially worthless.

I don't see this as occult or particularly new though. G. K. Chesterton and C. S. Lewis, in different ways, discussed "post-Christian" Europe. Basically you retain the Christian values that are deemed "humanistic", and maybe have some level of religious organization for its social role, but otherwise don't really believe in any religion.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:00 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,787,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
And i can say with great authority having lived there for close on 40 years of my life and being an ex pat , that though it's in great darkness and rejected the gospel , what the USA is serving up has the gospel make me want to vomit .

Infact it's the main reason though i am a conservative in values i want to move back to liberal secular New England from the bible belt where i reside now.Where saying "i'm born again" is no different from a Brit saying "i'm church of England".
Yup. Nothin' quite like livin' in the Bible Belt! Sigh.....

Old 06-28-2010, 02:19 PM

18,727 posts, read 23,410,116 times
I agree with the Bikini wax woman and I gave her rep too.
The cross was a Roman execution device.
It turns some people off.
Not all churches prominently display a cross.
Personally, crucifixes crosses with Christ's body on them are both disturbing and theologically wrong.
So if this pastor can get more people into church - more power to him!

Old 06-28-2010, 02:24 PM

1,468 posts, read 1,882,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Personally, crucifixes crosses with Christ's body on them are both disturbing and theologically wrong.
Some people like to alter the Gospels by editing out all but the "happy clappy" parts.

Since our culture is marinated in this kind of "positive thinking" and "pick and choose" theology, I like to compensate and thus gird myself spiritually by focusing somewhat disproportionately on the Sorrowful Mysteries. I also have a couple of those nice Spanisih crucifixes in my house.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:00 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,206,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Actually, to me, the point is not really the removal of the cross. The point is that this is no longer a Christian church.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:46 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,340,111 times
Quote:
Church Tries to Be More Inclusive - Video - FoxNews.com

Of course the pastor responsible for this is a Brit yet another poor Brit poisoned by political correctness. Heard the churches in England, in an effort to attract more people, "secularize" the churches by turning them into community centers also
Ah, for almost 2000 years, the Catholic Church lives on. Thank God for creating His Church. I don't have to deal with c-r-a-p like this.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:03 PM

32,456 posts, read 21,261,184 times
I understand the stir it has caused and maybe his motive is wrong , but please if a wooden cross is our identity we are no different from any other religion .

Faith in Jesus is about the resurrected life and not some wooden cross stuck on an the outside of a building or cross and chain hanging around our necks.

Within the Veil! Be this, beloved, thy portion,
Within the secret of thy Lord to dwell;
Beholding Him, until His face Thy glory,
Thy life, His love, thy lips, His praise shall tell.

Within the Veil! For only as thou gazest
Upon the matchless beauty of His face,
Can'st thou become a living revelation
Of His great heart of love, His untold grace.

Within the Veil! His fragrance pour'd upon thee,
Without the Veil, that fragrance shed abroad;
Within the Veil, His hand shall tune the music
Which sounds on earth the praises of thy Lord.

Within the Veil, thy spirit deeply anchored,
Thou walkest calm above a world of strife;
Within the Veil, thy soul with Him united,
Shall live on earth His resurrection life.

Miracles that follow the plow - Today, I'm praising God for... - SermonIndex.net audio sermons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or