U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:55 PM

51 posts, read 110,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
We are not in charge of anyone nor what they believe. Live your own life, love the person for who they are and don't worry about the "religious" part. If you love each other then you are doing right with God. When we judge another, we leave no room for Love. Just be in the world and love each other. God does not ask for more than that.

In my own relationship, my BF is an agnostic and I'm a Divine Love Christian. He doesn't believe all that I do but he loves me and what I persue is not up to him but he will defend my right to believe it even if he doesn't. He loves me and that is all that matters.

Enjoy each other and love. Nothing else matters.
Luke 12 19)And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’

20)“But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’

I guess Jesus really was having an off day.....That rich man did exactly the right thing...He didn't worry about "the religious part"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 04:17 AM

4,325 posts, read 5,270,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertJoe View Post
Luke 12 19)And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’

20)“But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’

I guess Jesus really was having an off day.....That rich man did exactly the right thing...He didn't worry about "the religious part"
I guess I don't understand your post and what you reference. Jesus gave the commandments to Love God and each other. Nothing else matters when you Love. Our religion, or lack thereof, is not who we are. Love is who we are and when we live in Love, we cannot go wrong. No religion is necessary. And why do you say that Jesus was having an off day when that quote was saying that God said he was a fool? Jesus and God are the same through their consciousness but they are not the same individuals.
God nor Jesus are religious. They Love above all else. When we do the same, as Jesus instructed us, we are doing what is Truth, Beauty and Goodness.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:37 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,299,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
God listens to prayers, and He might open the man's heart so he would accept Christ and be saved.

"In everything by prayer and supplication let your requests be made known unto God" (Philippians 4:6).

Blessings to you,
brian

Old 06-29-2010, 09:11 AM

51 posts, read 110,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
I guess I don't understand your post and what you reference. Jesus gave the commandments to Love God and each other. Nothing else matters when you Love. Our religion, or lack thereof, is not who we are. Love is who we are and when we live in Love, we cannot go wrong. No religion is necessary. And why do you say that Jesus was having an off day when that quote was saying that God said he was a fool? Jesus and God are the same through their consciousness but they are not the same individuals.
God nor Jesus are religious. They Love above all else. When we do the same, as Jesus instructed us, we are doing what is Truth, Beauty and Goodness.
Can you define the love of God?It is able to be defined.People use that word so loosely nowadays,& usually define it as getting their own needs met,but that is not the love God wants from us.Would be interested in your thoughts.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:49 AM

4,325 posts, read 5,270,504 times
Quote:
Can you define the love of God?It is able to be defined.People use that word so loosely nowadays,& usually define it as getting their own needs met,but that is not the love God wants from us.Would be interested in your thoughts.
The Love of God is Divine Love. It is a different Love than we are born with and must be acquired through ernest and sincere prayer. Through this Love, we are able to raise our consciousness so that we will be able to purify our own souls and eventually be able to stand in His presence. Without His Love giving us a new heart, we cannot see Him. God's Love is without condition, is forgiving and merciful, is all that is True because it is absolute and in It's purestest form. There is no other Love like it in all the universes. The love that we are born with is not steady and it can falter at any given moment. Divine Love is the rock that Jesus spoke of that does not sway and is what sets apart men of God.

We can read the bible, learn everything there is to know about every religion yet without His Love changing us from the inside, we can never become At-One with God unless we acquire His Love. Religion is just that. Religion. Divine Love is so much more and does not require anything except a belief in God. Religions require things that have nothing to do with Love.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:33 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,143,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow83 View Post
Hello. I'm a christian in a relationship with a nonbeliever. What is the best way to help him believe in Christ? If you were in my shoes, how would you help your partner? Often I feel like I am not strong enough to help my partner when I cannot even keep up my own relationship with God.
If you have told him about Jesus and about being saved and all of that and he still doesn't believe then there is nothing you can do. You did your part. He has the free will to believe or not believe. This is why it is advised that Christians only date other Christians. Its hard to date/marry someone who is a non-believer.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:50 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,590,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Pray for him and be a good witness. FYI: Christians shouldn't be dating non-Christians. We aren't supposed to be unequally yoked.
And who decreed that?

Quote:

Ouch! I was raised with the King James version of the bible and if this is representative of the latest and updated "new" translation, what a travesty of language it is. I'd do some study of the Gnostic Gospels before quoting any current version of the bible ...

To the OP - do what you like but if your belief and his non-belief is a major issue for you then it's time to move on. As others have said it's not your mission in life to "convert" him or make him see "the light" which you see and any attempts to do so will backfire on you. The 10 commandments have always been pretty valid and commonsense guidelines for human nature so if he meets those criteria and you can live with just that without all the bells and whistles then go for it. If you decide to continue on with that understanding, get married and have children, then bring up those children to learn about all religions so they can form their own philosophies and beliefs. Good luck making your decision.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:50 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,392,917 times
A lot of people who decided to hook up with a non-believer, ended up in heartache and disaster. It may not seem like that now but that is usually what ends up happening.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:07 PM

1,411 posts, read 2,165,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
A lot of people who decided to hook up with a non-believer, ended up in heartache and disaster. It may not seem like that now but that is usually what ends up happening.
There is so much truth to this statement, for me personally and others . . .at the time I married my unbeliever . . .I was agnostic as well . . so it didn't matter . . . now, with children, and other things, it matters . . . . especially when you have a heart for God . . . . my husband did not want to attend my children's or my baptism . . .and reluctantly came to the service, late, and missed our testimonies . . . . you can not convert anyone . . . . do no take any advice but God's . . . . who warned that we should not be unequally yoked . . .He knows what he is talking about, take heed.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:26 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,881,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I don't understand why a believer would marry an unbeliever. That my husband was a believer in Jesus Christ was very important to me even back 27 years ago when I would have called myself a nominal Christian. I think this is because I have known the call of God from my early childhood - I just always knew I could not enter a marriage with an unbeliever. Sorry that I don't have anything more helpful to say.
In a lot of cases, someone becomes a believer AFTER getting married. You don't just ditch your spouse because you found Jesus and your partner didn't. But you can't force them to believe and badgering them and hitting them over the head with the Bible and preaching to them in most cases will drive them further away. The best you can do is quietly set a good example for them, and they'll probably be interested at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity