U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 04:54 PM

15,497 posts, read 7,409,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
You are exactly right. This is exactly what the word of God teaches christians to do. You have no business marrying a non-believer. That is far different than becoming converted after you are married to someone. There are seperate instructions for that situation.
Well, that's not really what I was implying at all. Being a non-believer myself - I don't think that we are all that bad! I have known many couples that have different religious beliefs from each other. However, they respect each other's beliefs and they love the person for who they are. The point is - if you love someone, truly love them - you love them for who they are, not who you wish they were. I mean - what's next - will God help me make him more handsome or funnier? You either love someone the way that they are you don't. I was in a relationship with someone and we both kept trying to change things about each other. Didn't work. It never does.
I don't think anyone has the right to tell someone who they have "business" marrying or being with. It's a personal decision. If a believer falls in love with a non-believer and can respect them and love them for who they are - and vice versa - why on earth would you tell them not to be together? That is not our decision - that is their decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 04:58 PM

12,347 posts, read 14,147,706 times
The first step in helping a non believer to believe is to wait until he asks for your help

Old 03-06-2011, 05:12 PM

5,501 posts, read 2,219,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
The first step in helping a non believer to believe is to wait until he asks for your help
Be patient with compassion...then if and when he or she asks where you get your patience...blurt out "GOD!!!"

Peace!

Old 03-06-2011, 05:19 PM

1,569 posts, read 932,483 times
[quote=Meow83;14805774]Hello. I'm a christian in a relationship with a nonbeliever. What is the best way to help him believe in Christ? If you were in my shoes, how would you help your partner? Often I feel like I am not strong enough to help my partner when I cannot even keep up my own relationship with God.[/quote

have the left side of his brain removed.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:28 PM

422 posts, read 354,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Well, that's not really what I was implying at all. Being a non-believer myself - I don't think that we are all that bad! I have known many couples that have different religious beliefs from each other. However, they respect each other's beliefs and they love the person for who they are. The point is - if you love someone, truly love them - you love them for who they are, not who you wish they were. I mean - what's next - will God help me make him more handsome or funnier? You either love someone the way that they are you don't. I was in a relationship with someone and we both kept trying to change things about each other. Didn't work. It never does.
I don't think anyone has the right to tell someone who they have "business" marrying or being with. It's a personal decision. If a believer falls in love with a non-believer and can respect them and love them for who they are - and vice versa - why on earth would you tell them not to be together? That is not our decision - that is their decision.
The OP didn't ask for opinions about what a non believer should do. She asked what a Christian is supposed to do. Big difference. If we were together and have children will you object to them being taught to believe in Christ ? At some point you will and then your children are in the middle. I love everyone as they are but that doesn't mean we are suited to be married.

There is also a difference between SAYING I believe in God and someone who wants to walk daily with Christ. Respect has nothing to do with what I am saying. The point is to respect God at the expense of man. Again, that is a guideline for believers to live by. The fact that you compare faith to looks or charm kind of proves my point. My response was for the benefit of the OP so I'm done. God bless.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:21 PM

13,631 posts, read 8,789,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow83 View Post
Hello. I'm a christian in a relationship with a nonbeliever. What is the best way to help him believe in Christ? If you were in my shoes, how would you help your partner? Often I feel like I am not strong enough to help my partner when I cannot even keep up my own relationship with God.
If he doesn't want to believe, there is absolutely nothing you can do to change that. If he is open-minded about Christ and just doesn't believe yet, your best bet is to step back and give it some time. God's timetable isn't the same as yours and He has all the patience you may lack.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:48 PM

15,497 posts, read 7,409,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
The OP didn't ask for opinions about what a non believer should do. She asked what a Christian is supposed to do. Big difference. If we were together and have children will you object to them being taught to believe in Christ ? At some point you will and then your children are in the middle. I love everyone as they are but that doesn't mean we are suited to be married.

There is also a difference between SAYING I believe in God and someone who wants to walk daily with Christ. Respect has nothing to do with what I am saying. The point is to respect God at the expense of man. Again, that is a guideline for believers to live by. The fact that you compare faith to looks or charm kind of proves my point. My response was for the benefit of the OP so I'm done. God bless.
I wasn't comparing faith to looks or charm - I was simply talking about wanting to change a person. Like I said - you love someone for who they are or you move on. Every relationship has it's problems. Some of them you know upfront - and some don't crop up until way into the marriage. You need to be with someone that you can accept for who they are, as they are. And also you have to know that this is someone you can compromise with. Some interfaith couples are perfectly happy together. Some non-believers that I know are okay with their children being raised religiously. I know a Christian whose children are being raised Jewish, and I know some atheists/agnostics whose children are being raised Christian. It's about compromise, respect, love, and understanding. If you are able to acheive this with someone - the sky's the limit! If not - it's probably not meant to be. Now - I would not be okay with my children being raised religously - so I would not be a good match for someone who needed that. And I'm not - my husband has no interest in raising our children with religion either.

I just think that people like to treat this like a black and white issue - and it's not. Love is not a black and white issue. You can say "Christians have no business being with someone who isn't just as pious as they are!" but that isn't reality. In reality - there are lots of successful, loving, interfaith couples. Each couple is different. Each person has to make that decision for themselves. You can't pick who you fall in love with. And if you are lucky enough to find true love - you should know how very lucky you are.

You can offer your opinion - but I think it's best with out condemnation and judgement.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:19 PM

19,979 posts, read 19,777,783 times
How to help a nonbeliever believe?

Treat them the same way Jesus would.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:40 PM

3,887 posts, read 2,001,668 times
"How to help a non-believer believe in God."

God is love.

"How to help a nonbeliever believe in love."

Answer: Love them.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:55 PM

422 posts, read 354,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I wasn't comparing faith to looks or charm - I was simply talking about wanting to change a person. Like I said - you love someone for who they are or you move on. Every relationship has it's problems. Some of them you know upfront - and some don't crop up until way into the marriage. You need to be with someone that you can accept for who they are, as they are. And also you have to know that this is someone you can compromise with. Some interfaith couples are perfectly happy together. Some non-believers that I know are okay with their children being raised religiously. I know a Christian whose children are being raised Jewish, and I know some atheists/agnostics whose children are being raised Christian. It's about compromise, respect, love, and understanding. If you are able to acheive this with someone - the sky's the limit! If not - it's probably not meant to be. Now - I would not be okay with my children being raised religously - so I would not be a good match for someone who needed that. And I'm not - my husband has no interest in raising our children with religion either.

I just think that people like to treat this like a black and white issue - and it's not. Love is not a black and white issue. You can say "Christians have no business being with someone who isn't just as pious as they are!" but that isn't reality. In reality - there are lots of successful, loving, interfaith couples. Each couple is different. Each person has to make that decision for themselves. You can't pick who you fall in love with. And if you are lucky enough to find true love - you should know how very lucky you are.

You can offer your opinion - but I think it's best with out condemnation and judgement.
I never said that. The word of God says that Christians should not marry non Christians which is the question in the OP. Some people are not willing to "compromise" their beliefs. I am sure two people with lukewarm faith can get along just fine. I believe what the bible says "a double minded man is unstable in all of his ways" Marrying a non Christian will create that for you real fast. You actually can choose who you love because love is an action NOT a feeling that fades in and out. Its funny that people often say that when they have had an affair or gotten into some other relationship that is obviously inappropriate. People always seem to feel condemned and judged when you stand by your beliefs. Again she asked what a Christian should do. I rightly thought she wanted to know what the bible says. I choose to love God first, last, and always. And that too is a daily choice that inspires actions and not a feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity