U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:43 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,074,817 times

Advertisements

No, it's not an Christian -vs- Atheist debate.[/quote]

I was speaking on the debate that was starting between..
You & Phazelwood.Thanks to all for all the comments.
There are some things in the bible that i question and..
Im sure many christians have questions as well.
I have to wonder if some of these doubts arent related to my OCD..
Personality.There was a brief time i was freaked out by the bible..
Verse speaking on the Blasphemy of the Spirit.
I was worried i had somehow commited this sin and posted a..
Thread on here about it maybe a year ago.
Thanks again for the feedback,I ll be trying to find a church..
Because its too hard for a "new" Christian to grow on his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 12:50 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,074,817 times
Sorry,I assumed Phazelwood was an Atheist from his first few posts on this thread..
But now im confused.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:56 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,583,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Sorry,I assumed Phazelwood was an Atheist from his first few posts on this thread..
But now im confused.

You're not alone. So am I..

Old 06-28-2010, 01:07 PM

5,925 posts, read 5,839,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
You're not alone. So am I..

Yes, religion strikes again.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:11 PM

6,801 posts, read 7,368,182 times
Quote:
Since i was young,i have always had christian influences.
Had family that would buy me christian books and basically..
Learned most of the bible from a kids version.been to different..
Churchs off and on.Lately in the past 6 months seems like..
I have more doubts than i have ever had.
Always had a tiny doubt in my mind but nothing like recently.
These thoughts of doubt pop into my mind at times when..
Hearing/reading about Faith.
I asked for him to be in my life maybe 6-9 months ago and..
It seemed like it made me feel different,more calm,etc
But the feeling got less and less and i kind of got off the path.
I ve thought maybe this is an outside influence,but im not quick..
To say its "The devil" putting more doubts into my mind.
I feel guilty for these doubts even though im the type of person..
That believes in questioning things and reading up.
I do understand what you are saying; it is common to have doubts. I grew up Christian, had a Baptist minister grandfather, went to Christian schools etc. The problem is when you are exposed to a lot of different doctrines without having a real good theological understanding you can get led in many directions, most of which cause more doubt than faith.

In school most of the focus was on what not to do, don’t listen to evil rock, don’t dance, don’t dress “un-Christian” etc. Then they would make us watch the left behind movies and scare the class into “rededicating” yourself to Jesus to avoid getting your head chopped off in the tribulation. Not a lot about faith and understanding what grace really is.

Out of school I tried a few churches but it all seemed to be so fake or just seemed very “me” centered and self-help focused. I had a friend talk to me about historical Christianity and where a lot of the current beliefs come from. I started really reading about what grace, salvation and what Jesus DID, not what he would do. This changed my whole belief system and now I feel sorry for most people who are trapped in such a narrow view of God.

If you want to read a great book that will help to get you going on the right path check out.

Amazon.com: Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Embracing the Heart of the Gospel (9780801064005): Michael Horton, J. I. Packer: Books

Old 06-28-2010, 01:24 PM

5,925 posts, read 5,839,263 times
Quote:
But now im confused.

The issue is that believer or not, you are the only one that is responsible for your life when it comes to living on earth. Religious people will try to impose what YOU should be doing based upon THEIR beliefs and that is a false way to go about seeking God.

Your guilt is something I have seen over and over, you did not come to this forum trying to justify a behavior, so that you would not feel guilty, you came wondering why you feel guilty when you are seeking God.

Fact is, you know in your heart when you sin, so you really don't have to come here to figure that out. Live and enjoy life, seek God with an open heart and take risks and chances with your "spiritual" life and you will find a new freedom that no other believer can help you find because it is YOURs.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:19 PM

528 posts, read 685,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Resist the temptation to doubt God. I'll be praying for you.

CW2L is right. Resist the doubt & think on God. The word of God tells us to think on those things that are lovely & pure. Think about God & the love He has for us. I believe God is calling His people in too & the enemy will come, is coming, has come, and will come again with doubt BUT TRUST LEAN ON & DEPEND ON GOD, PRAY FOR HIS GUIDANCE & HE WILL SHOW & LEAD YOU.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:42 PM

40,081 posts, read 26,744,474 times
All you need to know about God is "written in our hearts" and Jesus abides within us as the Holy Spirit to help us to interpret using the "mind of Christ." Jesus is the Living Word of God . . . so the doubts are probably arising from His inner prompting as you try to force your heart to accept some of the abominable beliefs about God that are rationalized by mainstream "precepts and doctrines of men." Follow your inner promptings . . . but be certain they are not merely supportive of your carnal desires and urges. If your doubts are born of "love of God and each other" and consistent with what Jesus would do . . . follow them . . . not the "precepts and doctrines of men" in your church's dogma.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:40 PM

697 posts, read 913,738 times
Quote:
I appreciate the input from both of you.
Lets not turn this into a Christian VS Athiest debate.
I dont see myself losing my faith.Just wondering why so much doubt now?
Im not sure why i would have guilt,i wasnt raised really christian or had it drilled into me.
I chose to learn more about it as a adult.
The doubt you are feeling may be a sign of your maturing faith. When your faith is changing in its dimension, depth, or significance to you, that can be a very alarming. That's why that expression "taking a leap of faith" is so evocative.

Who wouldn't have doubts about moving forward in your faith, getting closer to God? It's all very confusing, and some things you just have to accept that you won't understand. But as you mature, you put away childish things, including the childish aspects of your faith, and enter into a more mature/adult relationship with God/Jesus.

Do continue to seek a church home where you feel comfortable and protected. Continue to read & study the Bible. Keep your mind open and give your heart space and silence to let yourself hear the Holy Spirit. Good luck and God bless!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:47 PM

697 posts, read 913,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Satan wants us to doubt God. Trust the Lord completely. He is the Way and the Truth and the Life. God bless you.
No, doubt can be healthy. Wrestling with doubt can strengthen one's faith and sharpen one's understanding of one's own beliefs.

Thomas doubted, and Jesus had patience with him, telling him to touch Jesus' hands and to put his hand in Jesus' side and feel the wounds. As a result, Thomas believed. There is no criticism of Thomas for his doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity