U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:05 PM

21,905 posts, read 16,717,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
You're not looking to hard.It's post 13 in this thread.

And I often add an s to words inadvertently because it sounds better to me that way.My wife is constantly reminding me that it is "New Braunfels" not New Braunsfels".Oh well.
I never even looked at post 13. I don't read every post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 06:15 PM

21,905 posts, read 16,717,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
Try your post 18 in this thread.If that is not what you meant then perhaps you should be more careful with your words,because that is where the other poster got the same idea,I am sure.

And I am not any more hostile to the end times ideas than I am to the idea that 2+2=6.Both are just incorrect,that's all.
It is impossible for someone who is eternally saved to lose their salvation. But they can certainly turn away from the truth and become reversionistic.

End time events are as real as every other part of the word of God.

You are hostile to the subject. That is evident from statements such as this...

''And there you have it boys and girls.Never doubt the ability of a conservative literalist Christian to be able to twist and manipulate the Scriptures they claim to believe in LITERALLY.Except,of course,when their beliefs do not literally jibe with what Scripure says.Then all bets are off.''

From this thread 'The silliness of the end times beliefs,scripturally '

Old 06-28-2010, 06:59 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,559,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
It is impossible for someone who is eternally saved to lose their salvation. But they can certainly turn away from the truth and become reversionistic.

End time events are as real as every other part of the word of God.

You are hostile to the subject. That is evident from statements such as this...

''And there you have it boys and girls.Never doubt the ability of a conservative literalist Christian to be able to twist and manipulate the Scriptures they claim to believe in LITERALLY.Except,of course,when their beliefs do not literally jibe with what Scripure says.Then all bets are off.''

From this thread 'The silliness of the end times beliefs,scripturally '

If hostile is the word you wish to use for not believing in it and debating it's merits with it's proponents,then have at it.I don't believe it.I don't believe the universe revolves around a stationary earth either.If you wish to think that in pointing out the errors in believing the earth is the stationary center of the universe I am being hostile to the belief,then in the sense that I argue against it's validity I guess you are right.I don't really care about your semantical view.

And end times events are not real as a part of some prophecy when the main book of the whole prophecy house of cards pointedly says it was written about events around 100 AD.Or are you avoiding post 13 in this thread?

Old 06-28-2010, 07:09 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,338,572 times
Default Here's a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
Enoch, the seventh from Adam, before the flood:

1 Enoch chapter 50
And in those days a change shall take place for the holy and elect,
And the light of days shall abide upon them,
And glory and honour shall turn to the holy,
2On the day of affliction on which evil shall have been treasured up against the sinners.
And the righteous shall be victorious in the name of the Lord of Spirits:
And He will cause the others to witness this
That they may repent
And forgo the works of their hands.
3They shall have no honour through the name of the Lord of Spirits,
Yet through His name shall they be saved,
And the Lord of Spirits will have compassion on them,
For His compassion is great.
4And He is righteous also in His judgement,
And in the presence of His glory unrighteousness also shall not maintain itself:
At His judgement the unrepentant shall perish before Him.
5And from henceforth I will have no mercy on them, saith the Lord of Spirits.
Are you looking for someone to pet-sit for you after the Rapture? Because if you are, I'm thinking of going into post-Rapture pet care. All you would have to do is send me say $10,000 then I will take care of your pets after you are snatched, or taken away, or enraptured.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 PM

6,801 posts, read 7,372,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Are you looking for someone to pet-sit for you after the Rapture? Because if you are, I'm thinking of going into post-Rapture pet care. All you would have to do is send me say $10,000 then I will take care of your pets after you are snatched, or taken away, or enraptured.
Someone beat you to it. Rapture Pet Care

Old 06-28-2010, 11:44 PM

2,981 posts, read 4,468,464 times
Quote:
DUH!
I have lots of family that refuse to go, and to them, it all goes when we go.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:35 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,764,643 times
Quote:
You mean to tell me that the pets of the righteous are going to have to endure the Great Tribulation? That seems unfair Actually, I don't think
any of the animals deserve to suffer if I may say how I really feel.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:55 AM

17,751 posts, read 15,658,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You'll find this is common with pre-tribbers, texan, and not just here but everywhere. When you confront them with the evidence they tend to just gloss over it and make vague, accusing statements about you losing the faith or something.

Hi thrillobyte,

The usual thing I run into is what I call counter proof text arguing style. When I had the patience to debate, I would directly address the same passage and apply it to my view. In other words I can address *any* passage including the favorite dispy proof texts. When I would present something like Hebrews 9:26 they would not roll that into their view, and they would ignore it, instead countering with some other unrelated proof text. That seems to be the most popular debating style of a dispy. Even after pointing this out, the folly would just continue.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:26 PM

32 posts, read 26,502 times
The pre tribulation doctrine came from a girl in England named Margaret Mac Donald and aman named John Darby who both claimed to have had a vision of JESUS returning in 2 parts. A ctholic priest got wind of it and promoted it to Scofield(who put out the scofield Bible kjv).
This lie from hell took off in the 1830's and spread like fire.
Read 1 Corinthians 15:51-51 1 Thessolonians 4:15-17 Daniel 12:2 John 5:28-29 and Revelation 20:1-5.You'll see there are only 2 count them two not 3 not 4,not a first half second half first quarter 3rd quarter garbage,but 2 resurrections to come and that is it!The FIRST resurrection according to scripture is AFTER the great tribulation.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:57 PM

223 posts, read 233,352 times
The problem with the pre-tribulation rapture is that it takes sections of books written hundreds and in some cases over a thousand years apart from one another and by taking random, but asthetically pleasing sections stitches them together into a wholistic interpretation of English translations of doctrines that had never before been found in a common language. (Makes one wonder what happens to all the Christians in the times when Greek was the only other language the bible was translated into and many of these concepts weren't found within that text.) Inherently, by looking at the text through the lense of a pre tribulation rapture, one finds many quotes that can support the event taking place. That however is true of one taking a lense against the pre tribulation rapture taking place. Similarly, the arrogance in assuming that some of the concepts explored in the old testament, originally written in Hebrew are even translateable effectively into English well enough for coherent conclusions to be drawn is hillarious in itself. At the time this language was written, the Jewish people believed that their alphabet, and its numerical equivalence were in essance the devine creation of God. Jehovah is an 'Englishification via Greek' of the tetragrammaton, literally the word that if said correctly could unmake the world, Yahweh, or the Hebrew letters, YHWH. It is however just one of the emmenances of the divine found in a very complex Jewish God entity, encompassing concepts like Ein Soph (the infinite nothingness), and frankly, Midrash, and other Jewish lore that arose out of the texts that are in the OT, as well as others that while being considered cannon by the Jewish faith are no longer regarded so by Christians.

My point is, it's laughable to try and stitch together an unreliable English translation of something from one culture and the historical lense that must necessarily be placed upon it from that point of view and then stitch it together with a passage in Greek written hundreds of years further down the line in the NT where a totally different cultural context existed, also unreliably translated into English, then behave as if because they superficially seem to be describing things that seem similar ish when viewed in English that they in fact are. It's beyond a bit of a stretch, its bordering heresy.

It actually shocks me in some ways that so many 'Christians' will take the modern translations of the bible ahead of the original texts that are easily found and read in the original languages because despite their professed desire to 'know God' they are too lazy to actually learn some basic Hebrew and Greek and go about reading transcriptions of the documents far closer to the source than the one found in the English biblical translations.

I guess its far easier to believe concepts like the pretrib rapture because it doesn't require anyting other than believing what someone else says based on a shallow and profoundly limited understanding of an amazing text, because the historical context and linguistic incompatabilities aren't aknowledged in their study.

Last edited by Spank316; 09-28-2010 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: spelling disasters. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or