U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:42 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,416,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Forty percent of evangelical leaders said they "socially drink alcohol," according to a new monthly poll.

Many of them added that they only drink "in moderation," "on special occasion," or "infrequently." And they noted that they do so only with those who share similar views on alcohol consumption.

Poll: 2 in 5 Evangelical Leaders Drink Alcohol | Christianpost.com

Newsflash! ... Jesus drank alcohol ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 01:44 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,416,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
So did Jesus.
LOL ... Indeed ...

Old 06-30-2010, 01:44 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,771,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
My guess is that none of those places were in the deep South! This is very true and I'm not exaggerating. It's especially true with Baptists. A friend of mine had another friend remove a picture on Facebook because it had a beer can on the table next to her and she was afraid people would figure out it was hers. I dated a guy a long time ago who wouldn't drink a soda at an office party because people wouldn't know for sure what was in the glass.

Basically, many Baptists (in these parts, anyway) would automatically assume you weren't "really" saved if they found out you drank alcohol. My sister applied for a teaching position at a private Baptist school a few weeks ago, and they would have required her to sign a contract saying she would not consumer alcohol or have it in her home, she would not smoke cigarettes or use tobacco, she would not participate in modern dance, and who knows what else! I wondered why they didn't say she couldn't overeat, gossip, covet her neighbor's house or car, think she was better than other people, be lazy, etc.

P.S. I'm Baptist and I don't drink, but I don't judge those who do. I used to, though.
Modern dance? That's hilarious and reminds me of my teen years. I went to Baptist school and we never had dances.

I completely respect anyone who chooses not to drink. Both my grandfathers were alcoholics so my parents never drank much. My mother-in-law doesn't drink.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:55 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,563,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Newsflash! ... Jesus drank alcohol ...

I told an Assembly of God pastor this one time.His answer was that Jesus had no choice,because the water of Judea was undrinkable.Evidently Jesus was able to turn water into wine,but not bad water into good water.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:55 PM

16,300 posts, read 25,008,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Modern dance? That's hilarious and reminds me of my teen years. I went to Baptist school and we never had dances.

I completely respect anyone who chooses not to drink. Both my grandfathers were alcoholics so my parents never drank much. My mother-in-law doesn't drink.
A Fundamentalist Baptist Minister in Alabama, sorely tempted, finally propositioned the Choir director one night after practice, when they were alone in the Church.
"Where should we do it, Reverend?" she enthusiastically replied.
"Right here on the floor!" he panted.
"It'd be too cold." she whispered. "How about standing up?"
"Good Lord, girl! Have you taken leave of you senses?" he shouted.
"If anyone came in, they'd think we were dancing!"

Old 06-30-2010, 06:41 PM

40,252 posts, read 26,848,697 times
To the OP . . . is that all? Unbelievable.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:06 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,774,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
I told an Assembly of God pastor this one time.His answer was that Jesus had no choice,because the water of Judea was undrinkable.Evidently Jesus was able to turn water into wine,but not bad water into good water.
I've heard that one, too. I also heard a preacher say that the Bible doesn't say Jesus drank the wine, only that He turned the water into wine, and He did it because His mother told Him to, and He had to keep the commandmant to honor his mother. Jesus also said, "Take drink. This is my body....." Maybe He didn't drink it then either, and just commanded the disciples to drink it in rememberance of Him anyway.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:35 PM

63,275 posts, read 34,485,629 times
Whether or not Jesus drank wine is irrevelant. The Bible condemns drunkedness, not enjoying glass of wine.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:47 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,771,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Whether or not Jesus drank wine is irrevelant. The Bible condemns drunkedness, not enjoying glass of wine.
Precisely.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:07 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,774,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Precisely.
I agree. One reason I don't drink is because you can't get drunk if you don't start with that first glass. I've never acquired a taste for it either, since i've only had a few sips here and there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or