U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 08:24 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,975,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Whether or not Jesus drank wine is irrevelant. The Bible condemns drunkedness, not enjoying glass of wine.
Then what edition do the baptist use, the grape juice edition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 08:44 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,989,888 times
Sounds like that puts me in their drinking group.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:41 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,768,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
I agree. One reason I don't drink is because you can't get drunk if you don't start with that first glass. I've never acquired a taste for it either, since i've only had a few sips here and there.
I whole heartedly respect that. My husband doesn't like the taste of it either.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:54 AM

63,117 posts, read 34,377,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
My baptist church teach the bible with wine and all.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
I agree. One reason I don't drink is because you can't get drunk if you don't start with that first glass. I've never acquired a taste for it either, since i've only had a few sips here and there.
I aquired the taste for it when I was 14 and getting drunk in the weekends was one of my favorite 'hobbies' for a long time, but that was before I became a follower. I do not have the desire to get drunk anymore. My pastor said he does not drink at all because he believes it sets a better example, but at the same time he said there is nothing wrong with a glass of wine. Drunkedness clouds the mind and triggers all kinds of other ungodly behaviour.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:59 AM

309 posts, read 446,272 times
After reading these posts the one question I have is this: Is everyone in agreement that drinking a glass of wine or a beer with dinner socially and in no manner of getting drunk a sin? I have really been struggling with this a lot and firmly believe its not a sin but just puts off a bad appearance to others who may look up to you as a Christian. An example of my family drinking wine would be after the birth of our child as having a toast of celebration or with a nice dinner. Is this wrong?

Old 08-03-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Probably the check-book edition. Why buy 100 bottles of wine to get 1000 people one little sip, when you might as well offer them juice, which will be a fraction of the price.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 08-03-2010 at 07:56 AM..

Old 08-03-2010, 07:28 AM

1,899 posts, read 4,155,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
After reading these posts the one question I have is this: Is everyone in agreement that drinking a glass of wine or a beer with dinner socially and in no manner of getting drunk a sin? I have really been struggling with this a lot and firmly believe its not a sin but just puts off a bad appearance to others who may look up to you as a Christian. An example of my family drinking wine would be after the birth of our child as having a toast of celebration or with a nice dinner. Is this wrong?
Do you think it's wrong?

I don't drink at all, because I want to have my wits about me. Also, a young person doesn't know how he or she would react to alcohol...i.e., "that first glass," that first taste....you can never become an alcoholic, if you never taste it to begin with.
Same with cigarettes, if you never start, you will never have a problem with smoking.
I don't think having a glass of wine with dinner, or a celebratory toast, is a "sin," but I don't see the need to tempt fate.
I don't want my children smoking and/or drinking, so why would I?

But I wouldn't call someone else a "sinner" for doing so. I just think it's better to err on the side of caution in these matters. I understand in Europe, families often have wine with meals, even the children. It may be innocuous, but they are developing a "taste" for alcohol, which they would not acquire in the first place, if they never taste it.

That is my thinking on the issue......if you stay away from it altogether, then you'll never have a problem with it. Makes life much simpler.....I am aware that there are many people who have a glass of wine here, and a glass of wine there - no problem - for THEM. But if you have that first glass of wine, you do not know how you will react to it...you may be one of those persons, who WANTS MORE....so why have that first glass? Better safe than sorry.....

Old 08-03-2010, 07:42 AM

7,492 posts, read 6,481,772 times
I've studied world religions for decades, including Christianity, and never found a prohibition on drinking alcohol. There are many mentions of keeping one's heart pure, mind clear, and intentions kind, but nothing on drinking alcohol.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I've studied world religions for decades, including Christianity, and never found a prohibition on drinking alcohol. There are many mentions of keeping one's heart pure, mind clear, and intentions kind, but nothing on drinking alcohol.
Drunkendness is mentioned and condemned many times, but drinking itself is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or