U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:10 PM

30,754 posts, read 49,586,897 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that verse separations were added into the text.

As were chapter delineations, chapter headings.

Italicized words were added because translators hoped they would make better sense in English, but they only make sense if you are reading the text with the same dogmas in mind as the translator held. With the KJV at least there was an honesty, by leaving them in italics it is to tell the reader that there is no corresponding Hebrew/Greek word there in the text.

There are chapters where you can see plainly that the translators ended a chapter a group of verses too early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 06:49 PM

6,804 posts, read 7,386,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Keep in mind that verse separations were added into the text.

As were chapter delineations, chapter headings.

Italicized words were added because translators hoped they would make better sense in English, but they only make sense if you are reading the text with the same dogmas in mind as the translator held. With the KJV at least there was an honesty, by leaving them in italics it is to tell the reader that there is no corresponding Hebrew/Greek word there in the text.

There are chapters where you can see plainly that the translators ended a chapter a group of verses too early.
I do wonder how much of todays bad theology is due to verses and chapters.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:59 PM

Genesis is a great example. Chapter 2 cuts the first chapter into goofy segments. Chapter 2 should have started in verse 4.

Chapter 2:1 is really a continuation of the previous context.

If you are familiar with the Uncil at all, then you realise that commas and periods are all added into the text.

I know one huge doctrine that hangs completely on a comma.

With the comma in the passage churches develop one doctrine, ignore a few other passages on the same topic and they end up with an all encompassing dogma.

Remove the comma from the passage and it reads completely differently [and it then rings in a much better harmony with other passages on the same topic].

Old 08-18-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Genesis is a great example. Chapter 2 cuts the first chapter into goofy segments. Chapter 2 should have started in verse 4.

Chapter 2:1 is really a continuation of the previous context.

If you are familiar with the Uncil at all, then you realise that commas and periods are all added into the text.

I know one huge doctrine that hangs completely on a comma.

With the comma in the passage churches develop one doctrine, ignore a few other passages on the same topic and they end up with an all encompassing dogma.

Remove the comma from the passage and it reads completely differently [and it then rings in a much better harmony with other passages on the same topic].
What is that doctrine and verse in question?

Old 08-18-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
What is that doctrine and verse in question?
See if this sounds familiar:

"Verily I say unto thee, today shalt thou be with me in paradise."

Or is it

"Verily I say unto thee today, shalt thou be with me in paradise."

The Uncil source document for this has no commas.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:

Or is it

Interesting, was there any other thing in the original that givs a hint about the meaning?

Old 08-18-2010, 09:03 PM

40,297 posts, read 26,868,743 times
Quote:

Or is it

Quote:
Interesting, was there any other thing in the original that givs a hint about the meaning?
The order of the "shalt' and "thou" gives the placement of the comma syntactically. If it was meant to modify the initial phrase as in the second example . . . it would have reversed the order of the "shalt" and "thou" eg.

"Verily I say unto thee today, thou shalt be with me in paradise."

So . . . the first comma is placed correctly given the syntax, eg.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:08 PM

Either Jesus was saying that the other man would immediately go to paradise; or he was saying that the other man would go to paradise at some undetermined time.

Which is best supported by other passages?

Old 12-07-2012, 12:58 PM

I still see a lot of versing going on, time to bump this.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:53 PM

28,037 posts, read 15,136,194 times
Quote:
I think one of the biggest problems in understanding the bible is the fact that we have numbered verses. I see so many people post a verse or two to back up their beliefs, when the verse is just part of an over all letter.

I think it would help to read the bible without numbered verses, are there any available?

Did ya just figure that out????....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or