Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 03:10 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,193,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Pagan philosophy is that God will accomplish all He desires? I don't suppose you think it's pagan philosophy that God will roast people forever? I guess some think He loves us less than a marshmellow. At least a roasted marshmellow has a purpose.
"A roasted marshmallow has a purpose." I'll have to use that one.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:10 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by python87 View Post
Good point. One roasted marshmellow has more purpose (to be eaten) than whole of hell.
Exactly!

Old 07-01-2010, 03:16 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
I don't need to quote the whole post....and if I did...it would really show the forum your misuse of Isa 45; Rom 10 and Phil 2, to promote a false premise that exists nowhere in the scriptures.

This is the formula UR uses

Lots of pagan philosophizing with a little scripture (meaning one or two verses that have nothing to do with the philosophy) and more pagan philosophizing.

Not shouting...just making a point.
You are correct.

Gnostic infiltration (syncretism) has been the greatest threat to the Church since it was founded by Christ. Is it any surprise we are fighting the same battle two thousand years later?

Old 07-01-2010, 03:34 PM

159 posts, read 174,929 times
Well, DreamingSpires, mixing of pagan philosophy and Christianity is what gave birth to many fine things, like Renaissance. Augustine (and Christianity as a whole, I think) owes a lot to Platonism (although many won't admit it is so). Truth can come from many corners and so can falsehood, so I don't see why are you guys having such a problem with using philosophy to decide what's true.

Last edited by python87; 07-01-2010 at 03:45 PM..

Old 07-01-2010, 03:40 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,376 times
"organized religion" is like a courier, i.e., UPS and others, who offer for a FEE, to deliver your precious goods to it's rightful destination. The only difference is that, this specific package is "The Soul" so precious to me that no courier in the world could convince me to hand over for safe keeping. I prefer to deliver it personally (with the Holy Spirit, given by the death of my Christ)...heart-carried, to ensure that no one or nothing along the way, hinders its spiritual journey.

This is "just me" taking care (my way) of that which matters the most..."my soul".

Blessings to all...

Old 07-01-2010, 03:50 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
I don't need to quote the whole post....and if I did...it would really show the forum your misuse of Isa 45; Rom 10 and Phil 2, to promote a false premise that exists nowhere in the scriptures.

This is the formula UR uses

Lots of pagan philosophizing with a little scripture (meaning one or two verses that have nothing to do with the philosophy) and more pagan philosophizing.

Not shouting...just making a point.

Hi bro..

I honestly don't have a "formula".

I'm only sharing the transformation that my heart went through after being confronted with God's love in a most beautiful way. A love that has only continued to increase the capacity of my own little human heart. Nothing on this earth can compare to it. No amount of studying that you can possibly do will ever come close. No amount of studying and knowledge means anything when held next to this. It is all just vapor, meaningless next to THIS. Next to the transforming power of HIS love.
1 Corinthians 13. There, brother... you say I have some sort of formula. This is about the closest thing I can come to a formula that would fit for me:

1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. 13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

What I try to do to the best of my ability is to proclaim the absolute POWER of God's love. Something I will do until the day I physically die, or am incapacitated in some way where I can no longer communicate. And yes, although it may seem like only the smallest of whispers amidst a great cacophony of confusion. It only SEEMS that way, because one day the cacophony will be silenced. And in that silence, all of us who are whispering, I think, will be heard. All the whispers of how TRULY Great our Father is, and how TRULY TRULY TRULY LOVE CONQUERS ALL will be heard. Those who are so misunderstood now.

So... I'm just going to continue to "whisper" and whisper and whisper what I have absolute, ABSOLUTE FAITH and assurance in... that our CREATOR LOVES ALL with a FIERCE love. And that Jesus Christ IS the saviour of ALL mankind. And that YES, EVERY knee will bow and EVERY TONGUE Will swear allegiance to the glory of God the Father.

Verses mean NOTHING. Scriptures mean nothing.
Knowledge means NOTHING.
UNLESS LOVE is there to decipher them FOR you.

It's amazing how God works.
And brother He does work in the most mysterious of ways.

I understand you think I'm wrong when it comes to this. I understand. But, with all humbleness, may I just say that I will rejoice in that day when you realize that I was not wrong about this, and when you realize that your Creator is far more glorious than you could ever imagined possible. And His plan far more magnificent and holy and righteous than you could ever have imagined. I will grab your hand and we will shout our praises together, bro. You, me and the rest of our brothers and sisters, all of mankind, all of His beautiful creation. Creation is groaning, together. and we will all shout our praises to HIM... together.

peace,
sparrow

Old 07-01-2010, 04:08 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Hi bro..

I honestly don't have a "formula".

I'm only sharing the transformation that my heart went through after being confronted with God's love in a most beautiful way. A love that has only continued to increase the capacity of my own little human heart. Nothing on this earth can compare to it. No amount of studying that you can possibly do will ever come close. No amount of studying and knowledge means anything when held next to this. It is all just vapor, meaningless next to THIS. Next to the transforming power of HIS love.
1 Corinthians 13. There, brother... you say I have some sort of formula. This is about the closest thing I can come to a formula that would fit for me:

1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. 13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

What I try to do to the best of my ability is to proclaim the absolute POWER of God's love. Something I will do until the day I physically die, or am incapacitated in some way where I can no longer communicate. And yes, although it may seem like only the smallest of whispers amidst a great cacophony of confusion. It only SEEMS that way, because one day the cacophony will be silenced. And in that silence, all of us who are whispering, I think, will be heard. All the whispers of how TRULY Great our Father is, and how TRULY TRULY TRULY LOVE CONQUERS ALL will be heard. Those who are so misunderstood now.

So... I'm just going to continue to "whisper" and whisper and whisper what I have absolute, ABSOLUTE FAITH and assurance in... that our CREATOR LOVES ALL with a FIERCE love. And that Jesus Christ IS the saviour of ALL mankind. And that YES, EVERY knee will bow and EVERY TONGUE Will swear allegiance to the glory of God the Father.

Knowledge means NOTHING.

It's amazing how God works.
And brother He does work in the most mysterious of ways.

I understand you think I'm wrong when it comes to this. I understand. But, with all humbleness, may I just say that I will rejoice in that day when you realize that I was not wrong about this, and when you realize that your Creator is far more glorious than you could ever imagined possible. And His plan far more magnificent and holy and righteous than you could ever have imagined. I will grab your hand and we will shout our praises together, bro. You, me and the rest of our brothers and sisters, all of mankind, all of His beautiful creation. Creation is groaning, together. and we will all shout our praises to HIM... together.

peace,
sparrow

Awesome.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:19 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
This is where it gets confusing - when you hear all the different things people say you have to do to be saved. Mike555 could argue with your post, and tell you that repentance is not necessary for salvation because you just need to believe in Jesus. However, I assume Paul's "chance" to exercise his belief/faith would end at the point he saw Christ, because faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things NOT seen. So how could Paul be saved without faith? Maybe it's because God does the saving, not us.

Today's threads should make it clear to readers that since NO ONE even knows for SURE what one should DO to be saved, that it would be quite unfair for God to require us to DO something. The fact that we are incapable of "saving ourselves," even if we happen to choose the right doctrine, is precisely why we need a Savior.
Yes, you would think that after the fiasco in the forum today that the folly of men/women would be clear. But, the saving is up to God, so we know that no one can believe that Jesus is the Savior of the whole world UNTIL God reveals it to them. We plant the seed and water it.... but God must give the increase. His Spirit blows wherever it will. God is sovereign over all!

Old 07-01-2010, 04:26 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,193,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
"organized religion" is like a courier, i.e., UPS and others, who offer for a FEE, to deliver your precious goods to it's rightful destination. The only difference is that, this specific package is "The Soul" so precious to me that no courier in the world could convince me to hand over for safe keeping. I prefer to deliver it personally (with the Holy Spirit, given by the death of my Christ)...heart-carried, to ensure that no one or nothing along the way, hinders its spiritual journey.

This is "just me" taking care (my way) of that which matters the most..."my soul".

Blessings to all...
Amen!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Knowledge means NOTHING.

peace,
sparrow
And Amen!!

Old 07-01-2010, 04:43 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,376 times
Bless you hearts my dear, dear friends...

May we continue to "Love God and our neighbors as we love ourselves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity