U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2010, 12:56 AM
 
Location: Italy
6,387 posts, read 5,110,371 times
Reputation: 866

Advertisements

Hi all,
In addition to my recent post on the salvation of all, already accomplished by God through His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, I have one small additional reason as to why I believe in the salvation of the world (regardless of doctrinal views of the hows and whys of "getting there"). It is this:

As long as I believe that there is "judgment" and "hell" to pay to unbelievers (the type typically preached), I truly and honestly cannot "love my neighbor." I simply can't do it. I find myself hating, despising, judging and criticizing others.
Conversely, when I think on the eternal Mercy and Goodness and Salvation of all souls back to the Almighty, I rejoice, I have peace inside, I feel a beautiful desire to share the Good News with others, and my judging and despising is turned into Love!

A very simple, hands-on, doctrine-less, experiential reason why I am convinced that ET is not the Truth of God.

Maybe other people are able to "love thy neighbor as thyself" and still believe that they are going to hell. I personally cannot do it, and my experiences have proven it to me.

Blessings to all,
brian

 
Old 06-30-2010, 04:44 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,568,240 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi all,
In addition to my recent post on the salvation of all, already accomplished by God through His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, I have one small additional reason as to why I believe in the salvation of the world (regardless of doctrinal views of the hows and whys of "getting there"). It is this:

As long as I believe that there is "judgment" and "hell" to pay to unbelievers (the type typically preached), I truly and honestly cannot "love my neighbor." I simply can't do it. I find myself hating, despising, judging and criticizing others.
Conversely, when I think on the eternal Mercy and Goodness and Salvation of all souls back to the Almighty, I rejoice, I have peace inside, I feel a beautiful desire to share the Good News with others, and my judging and despising is turned into Love!

A very simple, hands-on, doctrine-less, experiential reason why I am convinced that ET is not the Truth of God.

Maybe other people are able to "love thy neighbor as thyself" and still believe that they are going to hell. I personally cannot do it, and my experiences have proven it to me.

Blessings to all,
brian
Yes.
 
Old 06-30-2010, 05:16 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,965 posts, read 5,570,727 times
Reputation: 1584
Amen. Jesus taught us to love our enemies. In order to do that, we have to have hope for their forgiveness. Simple as that. Also, since the scriptures teach that God reconciled us to himself "while we were yet sinners", God has obviously done the same thing for every person whether or not they have yet received the benefit of the knowledge of such great love and mercy.

To teach people that God is holding people's sins against them is the same as dissing the effectiveness of the work of the cross. God is not at enmity with man - it is man that is at enmity with God .... until the light of Christ shines in their hearts.
 
Old 06-30-2010, 05:37 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 9,750,368 times
Reputation: 58198
While I agree with this, I imagine you'll get a lot of flack because it's not biblical. It's very true though and I can attest to that in my own experience lately. As an ETer I found it difficult to love others because of my judgmental attitude....it was more about drilling something into their heads than love. Now I find it easier to let go and let God in bringing people to Himself and all that's left is for me to love, love, love them.

I was recently accused by a couple of ETer's that I'm not showing this newfound "love" because I challenged them, but debating has nothing to do with the fact that I love them whereas before I just wanted to shake them. This is not the best format to always "show" that you love the one you're debating with, but I know it in my heart and that to me is what is important.....what is in my heart. Now that my priorities have changed to talking about universalism rather than shouting about fundamentalism and ET, I have peace beyond description and a peaceful love for everyone knowing that God has a plan for them too. There's no need to shout, but it is definitely worth talking about!!
 
Old 06-30-2010, 05:42 AM
 
Location: On a road heaven bound !
10,290 posts, read 8,042,759 times
Reputation: 17783
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi all,
In addition to my recent post on the salvation of all, already accomplished by God through His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, I have one small additional reason as to why I believe in the salvation of the world (regardless of doctrinal views of the hows and whys of "getting there"). It is this:

As long as I believe that there is "judgment" and "hell" to pay to unbelievers (the type typically preached), I truly and honestly cannot "love my neighbor." I simply can't do it. I find myself hating, despising, judging and criticizing others.
Now this sure is an example of someone who has the backward thinking..... why would anyone find themselves "hating, despising, judging and criticizing others" because they believe there is a judgment or hell ??? It should be the total opposite !!!

It breaks my heart to know that there are people who will not believe no matter how much God draws them and totally rejects the truth of God and really could careless if there is a God, hell, or that they'll be eternally separated from God because they rather be their own boss and simply love their evil deeds more then Him......

It makes me get on my knees and pray and pray without ceasing. The thoughts of hating, despising, judging and criticizing my neighbor, family, whomever are the furtherest thing from my mind, for goodness sakes !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Conversely, when I think on the eternal Mercy and Goodness and Salvation of all souls back to the Almighty, I rejoice, I have peace inside, I feel a beautiful desire to share the Good News with others, and my judging and despising is turned into Love!
Such a strange testimony. Totally opposite of what really should be in the heart of one who believes and trusts God. Because it is the mercy and goodness of God in the heart that it shouldn't matter to the believer of hell or not that the 'Love of God' in the heart causes the desire to pray, witness, whatever to share the good new of Jesus Christ with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
A very simple, hands-on, doctrine-less, experiential reason why I am convinced that ET is not the Truth of God.

Maybe other people are able to "love thy neighbor as thyself" and still believe that they are going to hell. I personally cannot do it, and my experiences have proven it to me.

Blessings to all, brian
I'm sorry Brian but what you have posted is really bazaar and makes no sense whatsoever.
It seems that if one would get their mind off themself and put on the mind of Christ...... then finally the Holy Spirit will be able to break through to the heart for the world.... instead of being obessed with ET and continuously dwelling on hell !!!
 
Old 06-30-2010, 09:08 AM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,652 posts, read 7,119,152 times
Reputation: 2840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Now this sure is an example of someone who has the backward thinking..... why would anyone find themselves "hating, despising, judging and criticizing others" because they believe there is a judgment or hell ??? It should be the total opposite !!!

It breaks my heart to know that there are people who will not believe no matter how much God draws them and totally rejects the truth of God and really could careless if there is a God, hell, or that they'll be eternally separated from God because they rather be their own boss and simply love their evil deeds more then Him......

It makes me get on my knees and pray and pray without ceasing. The thoughts of hating, despising, judging and criticizing my neighbor, family, whomever are the furtherest thing from my mind, for goodness sakes !!!



Such a strange testimony. Totally opposite of what really should be in the heart of one who believes and trusts God. Because it is the mercy and goodness of God in the heart that it shouldn't matter to the believer of hell or not that the 'Love of God' in the heart causes the desire to pray, witness, whatever to share the good new of Jesus Christ with others.



I'm sorry Brian but what you have posted is really bazaar and makes no sense whatsoever.
It seems that if one would get their mind off themself and put on the mind of Christ...... then finally the Holy Spirit will be able to break through to the heart for the world.... instead of being obessed with ET and continuously dwelling on hell !!!
Great post! You said it better than I could. Focus on Jesus.
 
Old 06-30-2010, 12:30 PM
 
5,738 posts, read 4,583,643 times
Reputation: 4160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
While I agree with this, I imagine you'll get a lot of flack because it's not biblical. It's very true though and I can attest to that in my own experience lately. As an ETer I found it difficult to love others because of my judgmental attitude....it was more about drilling something into their heads than love. Now I find it easier to let go and let God in bringing people to Himself and all that's left is for me to love, love, love them.

I was recently accused by a couple of ETer's that I'm not showing this newfound "love" because I challenged them, but debating has nothing to do with the fact that I love them whereas before I just wanted to shake them. This is not the best format to always "show" that you love the one you're debating with, but I know it in my heart and that to me is what is important.....what is in my heart. Now that my priorities have changed to talking about universalism rather than shouting about fundamentalism and ET, I have peace beyond description and a peaceful love for everyone knowing that God has a plan for them too. There's no need to shout, but it is definitely worth talking about!!

Amen, Ilene.
 
Old 06-30-2010, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,031 posts, read 2,686,435 times
Reputation: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Now this sure is an example of someone who has the backward thinking..... why would anyone find themselves "hating, despising, judging and criticizing others" because they believe there is a judgment or hell ??? It should be the total opposite !!!

It breaks my heart to know that there are people who will not believe no matter how much God draws them and totally rejects the truth of God and really could careless if there is a God, hell, or that they'll be eternally separated from God because they rather be their own boss and simply love their evil deeds more then Him......

It makes me get on my knees and pray and pray without ceasing. The thoughts of hating, despising, judging and criticizing my neighbor, family, whomever are the furtherest thing from my mind, for goodness sakes !!!



Such a strange testimony. Totally opposite of what really should be in the heart of one who believes and trusts God. Because it is the mercy and goodness of God in the heart that it shouldn't matter to the believer of hell or not that the 'Love of God' in the heart causes the desire to pray, witness, whatever to share the good new of Jesus Christ with others.



I'm sorry Brian but what you have posted is really bazaar and makes no sense whatsoever.
It seems that if one would get their mind off themself and put on the mind of Christ...... then finally the Holy Spirit will be able to break through to the heart for the world.... instead of being obessed with ET and continuously dwelling on hell !!!
Amen Latte! I wish I could give you a rep. I'm praying for them not hating them! If I hated them I wouldn't do that!
 
Old 06-30-2010, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,389,248 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Now this sure is an example of someone who has the backward thinking..... why would anyone find themselves "hating, despising, judging and criticizing others" because they believe there is a judgment or hell ??? It should be the total opposite !!!
How so? It seems to me that you have dismissed unbelievers as sinners a few times on here as if they are not worth your time... isn't that true? Isn't it true that you tell people they will go to hell if they don't conform? Isn't that Judging them? How do you know? Because they sin you are bias towards them and judge their eternity in order to save them from your idea of what their eternity will be...???

Quote:
It breaks my heart to know that there are people who will not believe no matter how much God draws them and totally rejects the truth of God and really could careless if there is a God, hell, or that they'll be eternally separated from God because they rather be their own boss and simply love their evil deeds more then Him......
If God can't DRAW them what makes you think you can help?

Quote:
It makes me get on my knees and pray and pray without ceasing. The thoughts of hating, despising, judging and criticizing my neighbor, family, whomever are the furtherest thing from my mind, for goodness sakes !!!
What good does prayer do if God can't even draw them without their consent? Seems quite useless... doesn't it?


Quote:
Such a strange testimony. Totally opposite of what really should be in the heart of one who believes and trusts God. Because it is the mercy and goodness of God in the heart that it shouldn't matter to the believer of hell or not that the 'Love of God' in the heart causes the desire to pray, witness, whatever to share the good new of Jesus Christ with others.
What good news are you sharing? That they are doomed to burn forever so they better believe as you do? Yeah... that is good news. Better for them having never heard that "great news" IMO!

Quote:
I'm sorry Brian but what you have posted is really bazaar and makes no sense whatsoever.
It seems that if one would get their mind off themself and put on the mind of Christ...... then finally the Holy Spirit will be able to break through to the heart for the world.... instead of being obessed with ET and continuously dwelling on hell !!!
There ya go... Take your own advice. Why would you dwell on hell? What part of hell makes you so happy to believe in it? Your prejudice against unbelievers and sinners is what makes you happy, isn't it?
 
Old 06-30-2010, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,389,248 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
While I agree with this, I imagine you'll get a lot of flack because it's not biblical. It's very true though and I can attest to that in my own experience lately. As an ETer I found it difficult to love others because of my judgmental attitude....it was more about drilling something into their heads than love. Now I find it easier to let go and let God in bringing people to Himself and all that's left is for me to love, love, love them.

I was recently accused by a couple of ETer's that I'm not showing this newfound "love" because I challenged them, but debating has nothing to do with the fact that I love them whereas before I just wanted to shake them. This is not the best format to always "show" that you love the one you're debating with, but I know it in my heart and that to me is what is important.....what is in my heart. Now that my priorities have changed to talking about universalism rather than shouting about fundamentalism and ET, I have peace beyond description and a peaceful love for everyone knowing that God has a plan for them too. There's no need to shout, but it is definitely worth talking about!!
It is pretty convincing proof to one's self for sure, Great post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top