U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 08:42 PM

21,188 posts, read 20,991,220 times

Advertisements

Umm.... I'm sorry but can we not turn this into a proselytizing thread? I started this thread to hear about how people feel about God's relationship - not about why we should believe or what we should believe. That is a very different topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 08:54 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,770,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
As a Christian, I believe many are deceived by Satan which is why there are so many different religions. Clearly we all can't be right because we contradict each other.

If one truly wants to find the truth, God will show them it. God promises this. The Word of God is the standard of truth and the Holy Spirit teaches us through His Word. Many people claim to be led by the Holy Spirit, but if they are being taught something contrary to scripture, they are not being led by the Him. The Holy Spirit will not contradict scripture.

Different denominations are formed for many reasons. Not all of them are bad. Some churches worship in a different style than others. This doesn't mean that one is more correct than the other. The doctrines are still the same. The problem with different denominations is when they are used by man out of self-interest. There are denominations today that are in a state of self-destruction as they are being led into apostasy by those who promote their personal agendas.

Regarding a personal relationship with God, someone may feel that God is telling them that they should get up at 5 am to pray and read their Bible and others don't feel that same calling. That's perfectly fine UNTIL that same person getting up at 5 am to pray/read tells everyone else that God wants all of us to get up at 5 am to pray/read. If the Bible is silent on a subject than we have no right to tell others to do as we feel the Lord is telling us to do. I don't doubt that God tells people to do specific things or not do specific things because it's best for THAT person, but it will not be contrary to His Word because that is the standard of truth.
CW2L, I think that was very well said, and I agree with you. I would like to add one thing. You said, "The Holy Spirit will not contradict scripture," which is true, but also, the scripture will not contradict The Holy Spirit. In other words, if we read something that doesn't sound like the God we know in our hearts, then it should be investigated further. I believe this is what "testing the spirits to see if they are of God" is all about.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
You know, YOU REALLY started this thread because deep down inside of your soul, your WANT to know what it takes to be saved!! Just come out and say it and stop playing games with your life!! Yes, YOUR life!! There........ I said it! Was that so hard?

Now, let's keep it real! Time is of the essence, the hard parts over! Introductions been made. Let's get down to business....how can we help? You know you can always DM right?
Look, I'm sorry but you really need to leave me alone. You might think that you are reaching out to people like this - but you are actually pushing them farther away. I thought I made it perfectly clear that I already know what I believe. I'm not lost. I'm not playing games with my life - I'm living my life in peace and love and happiness. I did not start this thread for any of the reasons that you are claiming. You do not know me at all. I thought about putting this in DM but I'm pretty sure you will get the wrong idea.
If you want to know what I believe - you can always DM me and I will gladly share MY truth with you. I think I already have a clear understanding of what your truth is - I'm not interested. I'm sorry to be so blunt about this - but I feel that this was really uncalled for. I am very respectful of everyone else's beliefs. I have NEVER tried to get anyone to share my beliefs. What I am doing is trying to see if there exists a way for everyone to respect each other and understand each other a little better.

Now, let's keep it real. I would really love it if we could stay on topic.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
CW2L, I think that was very well said, and I agree with you. I would like to add one thing. You said, "The Holy Spirit will not contradict scripture," which is true, but also, the scripture will not contradict The Holy Spirit. In other words, if we read something that doesn't sound like the God we know in our hearts, then it should be investigated further. I believe this is what "testing the spirits to see if they are of God" is all about.
Listen to you heart! I can understand that!

Old 07-02-2010, 09:06 PM

697 posts, read 912,997 times
Quote:

I couldn't rep you so I had to do it this way! Great post!

Old 07-02-2010, 09:52 PM

13,570 posts, read 21,710,437 times
Moderator cut: interruption

A post worth repeating..guys please stay on topic..The op does not desire a debate on the differences in our doctrines..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Umm.... I'm sorry but can we not turn this into a proselytizing thread? I started this thread to hear about how people feel about God's relationship - not about why we should believe or what we should believe. That is a very different topic.
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio

Old 07-02-2010, 09:57 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,765,411 times
Quote:
I agree

Old 07-02-2010, 11:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,545 times
Default God is

GOD SO MADE THE UNIVERSE, THE WORLD AND THE PEOPLE "IN HIS IMAGE." HE ALSO GAVE "THEM" FREE CHOICE. THUS, EACH PERSON HAS TO "DEVELOP" A RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD, AND AGAIN ONCE THAT IS ESTABLISHED WITH FAITH, PRAYER,READING HIS WORD AND BEING IN THE STATE OF GRACE WITH GOD, THEN, AND ONLY THEN WILL GOD BEGIN TO LISTEN, TALK TO YOU, AND CARRY YOU, BELIEVE IN YOU AND ANSWER YOU. ONLY IN HIS TIME WILL HE CARRY OUT ALL THE MESSAGES IN THE BIBLE AND YOUR PRAYERS. SO IT IS WRITTEN, SO IT WILL BE DONE.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:46 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,580,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
If you are truly looking for answers you will not find them here, you must get alone with God, talk to Him and ask him to reveal the truth to you. If you are truly seeking His truth, you will find it, but not listening to people on City Data.
Exactly!! Real truth will not be found elsewhere other than the Bible!! It's all there, how to have the most awesome relationship with Him!!

Old 07-03-2010, 02:31 PM

21,804 posts, read 16,670,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Hi Everyone! It's the heathen, Dewdrop again. Sorry to bother you all - but I was just wondering...
There is so much talk about who is right, who is wrong, this passage means this, no it means this, etc. I guess I always thought that, as a Christian, your personal relationship with God and/or Jesus was the most important thing. Maybe God speaks to everyone in different ways. Maybe God wants different things from different people. Wouldn't that make sense? I guess I just find it hard to believe one person's interpretation over another person's interpretation - they are all interpretations. Everyone uses quotes from the Bible to prove that they are, in fact, the right one. However, someone else is using that same quote to prove the opposite. Maybe God shows different people different things in the same quote. Isn't that a possibility? And don't we all have to admit that we don't really have any of the answers? I mean - as Christians - don't you believe that everything is up to God?
So - shouldn't there be less "I am right" and "You are not a REAL Christian" and more "Interesting - that is your relationship with God? That's great! Mine is like this..."
Just some things I've been mulling over...
Truth is what is important. Not what is in your words, ''more interesting.'' Apart from believing in Christ for salvation, one has NO relationship with God. If someone thinks they have a relationship with God apart from Christ, who Himself is God, there is nothing great about that. If one thinks He knows Christ, but in fact is believing in another Christ, not the Jesus Christ of the Bible, that is neither great or interesting. For that person is eternally lost unless he avails himself of the means of salvation that comes only though a saving relationship with Jesus Christ.

Christ became a man and came into the world so that the world might be saved through Him.

Romans 6:23 'For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

John 3:16 'For God so loved the world that He gave His uniquely born Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.

John 3:36 ''He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.

God's will for the unbeliever is to saved. God's will for the believer is to grow up spiritually. The first requires a single decision on the part of the one who would be saved. The second requires continuing decisions on the part of the Believer. Now what could be more interesting than that?!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity